Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004

CherylannJohn is on a distinguished road
Pacific Seacraft

I''ve been reading the lists of suggested cruising boats by Jeff, Jack, and others. I''ve looked at most boats suggested but wonder why no mention of Pacific Seacraft 37s and 40s. They get fairly good reviews other than on this list. Howcome?
After reading Jeff''s comments about the IPs I have struck them from my list of propective boats... Thanks for the insight.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Pacific Seacraft

C&J:

I suspect the main reason you don''t read a lot about Pacific Seacraft boats is because they are pricey. You don''t see a lot of mention about Tartan or Shannon or Valiant or Sabre either, and they are all good boats...but most of us can''t (or won''t) spend the large sums a newer model from one of those builders costs.

Beyond that, I think there are some other issues - no deal breakers - that incrementally move them aside in some discussions. They''re well built but a bit heavy, they ''look right'' for a cruising boat but have that chubby pointed stern that reduces locker storage and reserve buoyancy and their waterlines are a bit short, they like wood but some owners would rather avoid it these days, they use liners for their build-out which makes for easily cleaned surfaces but more weight and less storage. I think they build a good boat but it just may be that time has passed them by a bit re: their designs vs. what''s available today (or even within the last decade).

One caution: we bought a new PS two decades ago (gosh, could it have been that long!?), the hull blistered within 6 months so badly that I could peel off the gelcoat in sheets with my fingers, and PS couldn''t have cared less. When we relocated to Annapolis and I described the signs I was going to wear at the upcoming boat show, they were suddenly my best friends. Much has changed in 20 years, including how they build boats, but the incident reminds me that a second reading of the warranty if buying new - with a few possible events like this one in mind - is time well spent.

Jack
Old 04-02-2004
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road
Pacific Seacraft

Well said Woosh. I''ve always liked the looks of the Pacific Seacraft line, particularly the PS 37, which I think was their flagship for a number of years before the 40, and 44 were developed. And 20 years ago, I think these boats were probably among the top ten off shore cruisers. But as you mentened, time & technology keep charging ahead, and if you don''t update your design, you get into a death spiral: fewer and fewer sales, higher production costs, with less money for reinvesting/retooling.

An example:
While many builders have gone with vinylester resin through out (which is more than twice as strong as polyester), PS still only uses it for the outermost hull layer. And these boats are built like tanks, with all the trappings of heavyweight: big engines, heavy rigs, low SA/D & high D/L.

Having said all that, I''d still be proud to own one, because there''s noting ''ordinary'' about them; they were designed to go offshore, and they look the part.
Old 04-03-2004

CherylannJohn is on a distinguished road
Pacific Seacraft

Thanks for the reply.
Seems like alot of the boats I like are a bit pricy. However I do agree that the canoe stern is not the best way to build them.
The search goes on...

John