Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: question for experienced boat owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtwk View Post
It is in the process of being settled, and I am the sole heir. I have not yet transferred titles, however I do have an attorney in san diego working the case for me. I figured in the mean time I would try to find out as much information as I can.
I will respond further tomorrow. It is late here and I have other tasks yet. Again, please accept my sympathies.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ash, what you probably need to do is retain a boat broker in San Diego, preferably one who is near the boat or one who can keep the boat at their brokerage. A broker will probably take 10% of the sale, but a good broker will earn that by advertising and showing the boat and doing the grunt work for you, as well as keeping on eye on it to make sure it does sink (these things do happen) while it is waiting.

Some of the forum members are probably local and can recommend someone to you, or your attorney may be able to get some references.

And yes, a boat that is clean and shiny and in good condition shows better and sells for more. It probably pays for you to have someone clean it up, clean it out, spruce it up a bit mainly with soap and water.

A buyer normally pays for their own survey to ascertain the condition of the boat, so unless you suspect some problem there is no need for you to hire one. The survey becomes the property of that prospective buyer, so if they back out because it has found problems, you may be expected to buy a copy--not just be given one.
Old 12-05-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for experienced boat owners/sailors

That's a nice boat. Bummer that it sounds like you won't be able to enjoy it.

It would be very difficult to determine value of a 30 year old boat with the scant information you have. Was the relative an avid sailor, and did he sail regularly in recent years? Or has it been sitting in a yard for the last 10 years? Even that might give some clues.

Regardless, it likely has some value vs. being a donation boat.
Old 12-05-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

If it's an Orion model and I suspect it is..you may have an excellent 'Blue Water' capable boat. Suggest contacting fellow PS Orion owners for more info..

PacificSeacraftOrion27Club : Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 Club

Last edited by aa3jy; 12-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

You should think about becoming a boater.
copacabana and sd1953 like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-05-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Why don't you arrange for a marine surveyor to visit the boat to determine its condition and value? This should only cost you a few hundred and a survey will be useful to have when determining and negotiating the selling price.

On the other hand, take it as an omen and take up sailing! The Orion is a nice little boat.
Old 12-05-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Where is the boat? Someone here may be docked next to it.
Old 12-05-2012

ashtwk is on a distinguished road

I believe it is located at the san diego mooring company. As much as I would love sailing, I am located in Ohio, and would not have the ability to do much. I would like to sell it to someone who would really enjoy it and take care of it because I know how much my family member loved his boat.
Old 12-05-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Ashtwk--

Firstly, as you seem to have repeated your post several times and have several different threads going concurrently, it would be wise to contact one of the moderators and ask him/her to combine your various threads into a single thread (for the sake of convenience). That is not difficult and will make keeping track of suggestions/comments, easier for you.

Next, HelloSailor's suggestions, above, are good ones. Fortunately, there are a number of good brokerage businesses in the San Diego area that can handle to liquidation of the boat. As noted, there is no particular need for you to have a survey done as any buyer in the price range the boat will list at will certainly order one him- or herself. However, an "in the water" survey might be worth considering as, in boat sales, "little things mean a lot" and correcting minor imperfections can have a substantial impact on the marketability and price offered for the boat. As HelloSailor pointed out, cleanliness (and clean smelling) can also make a big difference when selling a boat so getting her "ship shape" behooves your efforts to maximize the yacht's value. Be sure to ask the brokers you speak with about arrangements for keeping the yacht clean. A cleaning/wash down should be done at least monthly, and ideally, every time before a prospective buyer inspects the yacht. Only a few of the brokers I know of include a maintenance regime in their services although most can arrange for that as it will enhance their efforts to sell the boat.

On a relatively smaller yacht, one also wants to eliminate "clutter" (which increases the perception of size/roominess) so it is wise to remove any unnecessary personal gear, stores and the like, leaving only equipment that particularly pertains to the boat aboard, properly stowed and in good order. One might also want to remove gear that, while pertaining to sailing, will not add to the perceived value of the yacht but might be worthwhile separately, in and of itself, if sold (items such as hand-held VHF radios, binoculars, hand-bearing compasses et al). Your broker might be able to help you with that but I would be more inclined to trust the judgment of a knowledgeable friend with nothing to gain in the transaction.

As you indicated you already have an attorney working on the descendant's estate, it will be important for you to determine whether it is in your best interest to transfer title to you as the sole heir (if that is so); or, whether it is better to have the yacht sold by the Executor of the Estate. This is a inheritance tax matter and can have important ramifications for you as California is a notoriously voracious tax venue. It may be that simply moving the yacht out of State could save you quite a good deal of money. (Several people I know that lived in the area actually moved their boats to Ensenada when they decided to sell for that reason.)

A couple of other things you'll need to check into are the existing arrangements for the yacht's berthing/mooring, the registration of the yacht and its renewal; and, the insurance on the yacht. Since it will be going into a brokerage situation, you might be able to save a good deal of money by resetting the limits of coverage to a Port coverage, only. You may also need to amend the beneficiary of the insurance coverage.

Hopefully the foregoing will be helpful. I'm sure others here abouts will also have worth while suggestions.

FWIW...
bljones likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Perhaps have a conservative idea of what it's worth.
I dunno about deceased estate boats, but houses I've seen have often not been maintained for years. If this is so for the boat it may well be in a sad state and be worth very little.

And brokerage fees....

I agree with others, have a broker look inside. I wouldn't pay for an air ticket over there if the boats only worth a thousand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
1983 , 1983 pacific seacraft , 27 ft , pacific seacraft

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.