Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012

ashtwk is on a distinguished road
Question for

I recently inherited a 27 foot 1983 pacific sea craft from a deceased relative, and know absolutely nothing about boats etc. I was looking for any information that anybody has about the popularity of this boat, the quality, value, etc. I am just wondering what it would likely sell for in bad vs good vs great shape, or wether this type of boat is worth selling at all vs donating. I will be having a surveyor check the boat out, as I am across the country with a new baby and am unable to check it out myself. If anyone has any information or is familiar with these boats in all conditions as I am unsure of the condition, please let me know. I am sorry for such a vague post, but I figured this seemed like a pretty good place to find some random information out. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for

Check out yachtworld, and enter the make and year etc, to see what others are listed for.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for experienced boat owners/sailors

I don't know anything about that boat, but you might want to check yachtworld dot com. You can do a search there by make/model/size. A quick glance there a second ago suggests that your boat may have pretty good resale value compared to others of the same size and vintage.
Old 12-04-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Here are 3 PS Orion 27' sailboats for sale: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
These are probably in good to excellent shape.

PS boats are highly regarded and command a better price than many other makers.

One post asking this question would probably have done the trick.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize i posted it more than once in the same thread, and figured i'd post in multiple threads hoping for quicker/more responses in case certain threads were not read as often. Sorry that bothered you, and thanks for pointing that out though, hopefully it made you feel better to do so.
Old 12-04-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Ashtwk,

There is also a "boat buying assistance" thread at the top of this forum. The way that works is, you may be able to find someone who lives in the area where your new boat is, and they can go have a look for you. That could provide a general impression of condition, value of options present on your particular boat, etc.

Also, I detected a bit of needless snark in your last post. You won't be needing that with the friendly folks on this site!

Cheers, and good luck.
olson34 and L124C like this.
Old 12-04-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: question for experienced boat owners

While the death of your family member is a sad event and you have my sympathies, that you have been left his/her yacht is a "Windfall" (and, if you are at all into sailing, might make an appropriate name). Pacific Seacraft is one of the "World's Best Boats" (or at least the US's Best Boats) and the 27 footer, the Orion, is one of Pacific Seacraft's best models. It is world wide capable yet also makes a great coastal cruiser. The 1983 model of the yacht will be worth something between $49 and $60 thousand dollars (US)--depending upon condition--if you choose to sell her, but will be priceless to you if you are at all interested in the sport/avocation of sailing.

I'm sure others here abouts will agree and have more to offer. FWIW, if the yacht is in Florida, I will be happy to help as I'm sure others here will be in other venues.

Good Luck...
Capnblu likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-04-2012

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. The boat is actually located in San Diego, CA. I know nothing about boats, and unfortunately have no use for it where I live, so must sell it. I will look for someone to check the boat out for me, but was also looking for some general information about it. I am hoping for a boat in good shape, but do you know if these type boats still sell in less than good/bad shape? Or how much they would go for in that instance. Thank you again for your kind words.
Old 12-04-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtwk View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it. The boat is actually located in San Diego, CA. I know nothing about boats, and unfortunately have no use for it where I live, so must sell it. I will look for someone to check the boat out for me, but was also looking for some general information about it. I am hoping for a boat in good shape, but do you know if these type boats still sell in less than good/bad shape? Or how much they would go for in that instance. Thank you again for your kind words.
The boat being in San Diego is an advantage (vis-a-vis selling) in that Pacific Seacraft are/were built on the west coast and are well known there by the sailing community. The top end for the value of the boat will be about $65,000 less the cost of any deferred maintenance and up-keep and your tolerance/patience for the listing/selling process which will, of course, involve berthing, insuring and maintaining the yacht until she's sold which is/will not be particularly inexpensive. Before going further, however, has the estate been settled and title to the yacht been transferred to you and/or do you have letters testamentary (issued by the Court) giving you authority to take charge of the management and control of the yacht? Absent those--or a conveyance of title to you--you won't be able to do much of anything with the yacht. Then there are steps to take.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-04-2012

It is in the process of being settled, and I am the sole heir. I have not yet transferred titles, however I do have an attorney in san diego working the case for me. I figured in the mean time I would try to find out as much information as I can.

Tags
1983 , 1983 pacific seacraft , 27 ft , pacific seacraft