Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
just did a quick check, found 1113, 30-45ft sailboats to the year 2005 on yachtworld in the western states... vast majority in CA. thats a glut.

Some are obscenely over priced, others are junk, but deals can be made if both parties are willing to make concessions.

gulf states check reveals 396.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
How many of those 1113 are really truly desireable?
Old 09-23-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Lyle,

Use the 2% rule: 1,113 boats for sale X .02 = 22.2

So, there MIGHT be about 20 worth considering :-))

Bill
Old 09-23-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
I've been keeping an eye on the various offerings in Lattitude 38, Craigslist, and local bay area brokers. The selection of more desirable boats, like Sabres, is very limited. However, there are plenty of Catalinas, Hunters, and Pearsons offered at a wide variety of prices.

I’m not trying to start another debate on the quality of these boats. But, I know I’d get a better deal shopping for a used Ford than I would for a used BMW. And the wider availability of parts and services would keep my operating costs lower.

No, I wouldn’t buy a car as an investment either.
Old 09-23-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Desirable is a very subjective term, to you or me, desirable is this, or that particular boat, to someone else it may be "the dream come true."

The Cuban is all agog over the new BMW k1200S, me, a candy apple red Norton 850 Commando. Different strokes and all that.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-23-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Maybe your point is that Ford doesn't make motorcycles or boats.

I have an idea: let’s encourage BMW to make the sailing equivalent of an M3!
Old 09-24-2006

cyndi63 is on a distinguished road
I think that your only hope of getting your money back is if you buy used (especially close to antique) which also means you will spend more maintenance so the tco will still be questionable but since that isnt hard dollars you dont have to count it :-) at least not in my book.. if you buy only of course boat insurance is much less on an older vessel
Old 09-24-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Hey, I recently made some money on a used boat.

In August 1996 I bought a Catalina 22 in reasonbly good condition for the princely sum of $3,000.

In August 2006 I sold that same boat for $5,000. So, I made $2,000 on it, right?

Well, not exactly. I have two terrible habits: (1) I continually upgrade and improve my boats, using only the best available parts and equipment; and (2) I keep detailed computerized records of every expenditure.

The boat was, indeed, in fantastic condition...possibly the best older C22 afloat. My database tells me that in the 10 years I owner her the total cost, including initial purchase, was $10,960.19.

So.... depending on what you choose to count, I either "made $2,000" on the sale, or lost $5,960.19 (or, approximately twice the purchase price).

Bill
Old 09-24-2006

bbistis is on a distinguished road
Let's face it, boats are not investments, they're toys... some bigger and more expensive than others. Sails cost a fortune (espesially if you race, and there are always things to replace/add/improve. No one in their right mind should ever expect to get their money back... just the equivilent of pure enjoyment!
Old 09-28-2006

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
"wouldnít be nice if one could justify the purchase of new capable sailing vessel in the 38 to 42 vicinity"

I can justify it in four little words.....You could die tomorrow.

Mike

Of course if you survive, you're screwed ;-)