SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Top 10 Sailboats Easiest & Best to Single Hand

211K views 65 replies 43 participants last post by  boss 
#1 ·
Hello Sailor's
There are some great sailors on this site. In your opinion. What sailboats would you consider to fall into a top 10 category for easiest and best to single hand sail in a coastal environment. This would also include the possibly of living aboard? ( length 30 to 38 foot ) Use Up and Down the East Coast, Bahamas
Thanks
Diceman

#63 ·
A couple of single handed docking suggestions.

First, whatever your go-to critical dockline is (usually a spring line, but sometimes a stern line), make it a different color. This way, if anyone is nearby on the dock, you only have to ask them to hand you the "red line". They may have no idea what a stern, spring, etc line is and pointing won't help, if there is more than one lying on the dock.

Second, keep them a bit loose. Once you're secure, you can snug back. Even if you're tied two feet off the dock, you're still secure. The extra length allows for some wiggle room, if you don't nail the landing.

If you don't leave line behind, or are landing a transient slip, I highly suggest watching Capt Jack Klang's method for tossing a line over a dock cleat, from the boat. It's the only way. In fact, his video series on single handed docking is terrific.

#64 ·
As a total newby to sailing and a wash with the choices in sailboats It was great to read the comments by all.
I am also considering to buy a boat knowing full well that i will be the master sailor most if not all of the time.
In the mean time i will gladly sail with anyone who needs a hand to help my experience grow.
Marlow

#65 ·
Have a look at the Hanse range. They are a bit pricey, but you pay for what you get.
You will need experience. It has been said that "...it's the hard edges that kill you...", meaning the contact with land, docking, shallows, etc.
Deep, open ocean can be simple if you know what you're doing.
I'm aiming for the Hanse 675. Brand new boat, but it has all that I need. Electric winches, bow thrusters, etc. (only good if you can fix them if they break down), but can be sailed single handed.
Hope you find something you like....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.