Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Is 2 years and 1' worth ~$8,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
The two years (out of 25) and 1' are irrelevant. You've got to look at both boats and get a sense for which boat you like better and compare their condition. And get a survey.
Yes, I have seen them both. They are right next to each other! Both in good condition, the ODay a tiny bit better.

It was also a thinly disguised oday vs hunter thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I'm not gonna comment on build quality or sailing characteristics because I don't have the experience. I will say this, O'day and C&C of the late '80's where leaders on modern, what might have been called at that time "Euro" cabin design.

Walk through transoms, decent enough sized cockpits, overall head room, comfortable aft heads, aft cabins, and galleys, that worked about as well as one could expect for a boat that size. With a comfortable salon/dining on top of it all.

Find out what those 322's are actually SELLING for. I think you might be in for a surprise.

It's a buyers market right now. Don't be afraid to haggle. My advice, for what it's worth, get a survey and if there are no major issues... two hundred and twenty $100 bills in a wad might make any O'day owner think hard and fast. Then don't be afraid to walk away and let them ponder.

JMHO. YMMV.
Old 12-10-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

I'd look at both.

We bought our boat through Bruce Hill this past August. They were very easy to work with and coordinated it so that we had several hours on the boat with the sellers at the time of closing.

FWIW, the O'Day is not priced too outrageously based on a simple search on yachtworld: O'day 322 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

Finally, I watch the craigslist boat ads for our area. Here's one that might fit your criteria: 1988 Catalina Sailboat 30' (although that's quite the head sail!)
Old 12-10-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'd look at both.

We bought our boat through Bruce Hill this past August. They were very easy to work with and coordinated it so that we had several hours on the boat with the sellers at the time of closing.

FWIW, the O'Day is not priced too outrageously based on a simple search on yachtworld: O'day 322 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

Finally, I watch the craigslist boat ads for our area. Here's one that might fit your criteria: 1988 Catalina Sailboat 30' (although that's quite the head sail!)
I don't know, NADA average retail for the O'Day is about 23,000. Granted they are not terribly accurate, but the only instant publicly available source I know of. I also did not take the time to check any options. Boat US will do a good evaluation, but it is a manual process and takes a few days to come in.
Old 12-10-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

I'll have to check that Catalina out.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 12-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I don't know, NADA average retail for the O'Day is about 23,000. Granted they are not terribly accurate, but the only instant publicly available source I know of. I also did not take the time to check any options. Boat US will do a good evaluation, but it is a manual process and takes a few days to come in.
Just did a quick check on YW - 9 boats listed asking $26 to $33, average $30

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.