Is a marine survey really worth it for an inexpensive boat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Is a marine survey really worth it for an inexpensive boat?

I sent him a PM with my email address. Hopefully that works.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

While I didn't really need a(n official) survey to buy my boat, now I find BoatUS will require one for insurance purposes. I truly understand the need for one by the Company... just that I didn't *need* ta pay for one.
At near to 10% of the price paid, it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. At only 3% of the insured/established value...not so bad.

There's only a few items I need to sort before survey. Since it's still on the hard, it should be easier/faster/cheaper ?!?!

The biggest question I have is; will a springy foredeck down-check a survey for insurance?
Old 03-19-2013

Mor22 is on a distinguished road

I am not suggesting to anyone that a survey be required for a cheap boat, but be careful. We bought our old very cheap boat subject to haulout showing little or no blisters. All was good until she started drying out on the hard. Then so many blisters popped out we got help and found the hull was waterlogged. By then we had already put $1500 into new rigging so were not going to trash it. We ground off all the gelcoat, dried her out, fibreglassed, faired, epoxied etc. Add on new blocks and running rigging, wiring, sails,paint and lights,centreboard cable, bilge pump etc and the cheap buy wasn't in anyway cheap any more. Learned a heck of a lot though, and we rescued a vintage boat that would have been in the junkyard very soon.
Old 04-18-2013

NJBoatDad is on a distinguished road

Too many variables in play with boats. Even if you know a lot about all things marine, a second set of eyes cant hurt. If you dont want the full survey just see if you can pay for hourly consulting.
Old 05-02-2013

ChesapeakeMC is on a distinguished road

When we bought our first boat, a couple of years ago, we were looking for a cheap boat so we could get into sailing and see if we liked it. We bought a 1970's (about $5k) boat without a survey, but since the previous owner had insured it with BoatUS, we were able to just transfer his insurance to us, and didn't have to get a survey. Things have worked out for us on this boat, and in the 2 years we've owned it no major problems have cropped up. We're now in the process of buying our next boat, and are getting a survey this time, but the cheap boat definitely served its purpose of getting us into sailing and helping us figure out what was important for us on the next boat.
Old 05-02-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor22 View Post
I am not suggesting to anyone that a survey be required for a cheap boat, but be careful. We bought our old very cheap boat subject to haulout showing little or no blisters. All was good until she started drying out on the hard. Then so many blisters popped out we got help and found the hull was waterlogged. By then we had already put $1500 into new rigging so were not going to trash it. We ground off all the gelcoat, dried her out, fibreglassed, faired, epoxied etc. Add on new blocks and running rigging, wiring, sails,paint and lights,centreboard cable, bilge pump etc and the cheap buy wasn't in anyway cheap any more. Learned a heck of a lot though, and we rescued a vintage boat that would have been in the junkyard very soon.
Good reflection...my advice is that the survey gives you a ballpark idea of just how expensive your "inexpensive" boat will become...
olson34 likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

It's a tough call and from a purely financial point of view it may not make sense.

That said, consider that after buying it, without a survey you'll own a boat that you may not know very well. When the weather pipes up you'll find yourself wondering how good the rigging actually is and what about the chain plates etc?

I found myself in exactly this situation, bouncing around in 12' seas with the nearest port closed for the conditions and the next one 6 hours away with far too little experience on a boat that I realized I didn't know at all. Following the season I bought a survey just to alleviate these questions and feel better having done it.

So the survey is for more than jus financial risk, it also gives you extra peice of mind.

Last edited by asdf38; 05-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Yes, without a doubt.

We had 3 surveys done on 3 different boats, we passed on two of them because of the survey results. It was not only educational for me, it saved us a lot of money and from buying two boats that looked ok on the surface, but should have been sent to the scrap heap.

All 3 were in your price range (roughly)