Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Small main sail, large jib - questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post

For down wind runs, would you guys suggest setting the main and the 150 or 130 wing-and-wing?
Sure, here is another video of an IOR-inspired P28 running wing and wing at nearly hull speed in 10-15 knots, gusting to 20 with a 135 (the #1 on this boat):

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-13-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For me, it is going to be mostly a day sailor, lake boat. Then one to take out to Blake Island or one-two nights somewhere. Not a week long family cruise in the San Juans just yet.
This is different than what you said on your other thread. For overnight trips to Blake Island or going around Bainbridge Island this size should be fine. With Blake you'll still want a dinghy, but it isn't as big of a deal to drag one. For one or two nighters it is fun to camp aboard and lack of standing room is not a big deal.

Until I did my 12 night trip on the Catalina 25 I didn't think I'd want anything larger because it was so fun for day sailing and overnighters.

I did just want to point out how small this boat is compared to other boats of the same overall length. For actual cruising with a family I think you'd want something larger. Even for just couples cruising there is a big difference in the interior of the Kent Ranger 24 (which has an interior about the size of most 22s) and most 25' boats.

Quote:
For down wind runs, would you guys suggest setting the main and the 150 or 130 wing-and-wing?
It depends a lot on the conditions. In light air that will work pretty nicely. In heavier air you probably won't need that much sail area to hit hull speed.

You'll want to experiment too and see if VMG is higher going directly down wind or doing broad reaches with occasional gybes. This can vary boat by boat.

I never thought that I'd be so interested in racing, but doing Duck Dodge (Tuesdays on Lake Union) was a very quick way for me to learn how to make my boat perform well and is a ton of fun. I usually just do the race and head home, rather than staying for the party (which can go late). It became the highlight of my week last summer.
Old 12-13-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For stability the jib should be 'poled out'.. but for me, wing on wing is the least favourite point of sail. To keep the jib stable without a pole you virtually have to sail by-the-lee and on the edge of an accidental jibe, but with a pole intentionally jibing is complicated by the need to deal with the pole before and after...

I'd rather broad reach and jibe occasionally - not because it's faster (often it's not - esp in good wind) but it's just less stressful.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-13-2012

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road

In heavier conditions instead of going wing and wing, would you guys choose to use just the main or just the headsail?
Old 12-13-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Both until I was forced down to storm jib only, although I do have an apprehension about heavy air jibes and will do a circle to tack over instead of jibing.
Old 12-13-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For me... ultimately the main is the more stable sail.. but the consequences of an unintended gybe are more severe.. On balance ( and we did this routinely where we used to live/sail) once the wind got up we went main only and 'chicken gybed' when necessary - ie what James meant when he said 'circle to tack over'...

did I mention I don't like DDW???

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-13-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In heavier conditions instead of going wing and wing, would you guys choose to use just the main or just the headsail?
On my boat I greatly prefer both and if I'm only running one it is the main only. However my boat (Pearson 28-2, not to be confused with the IOR Pearson 28 mentioned earlier in this thread) has a pretty balanced sail plan.

I don't like DDW on main only because you don't have the jib to warn of an accidental gybe. So I would do broad reaches on main only to be safer.

You'll need to try both options on your boat to see what works. Decision points should be made on what gives you a more balanced helm, which allows you to point higher if you are going upwind, and if there are any risks of mask pumping if you sail with jib only.
Old 12-14-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

My boat is a similar configuration, I sail pretty much all the time with a 115% genoa, makes the boat plenty sailable anywhere from 4kts to 25/30kts as long as you reef the main at the appropriate times, or even drop it entirely, she sails just fine in high winds on genoa alone.
I rarely fly the 155%, it's a massive sail and is just too much of a pain to handle (I always sail short or single handed) in anything other than about 8-12kts, I have only ever hoisted the working jib (about 90% I guess) at the docks.
Dead downwind she sails OK, a little bit squirrely if there is some swell behind you, but otherwise a well mannered boat. She's quick too, I imagine she would be very easy to sail up to (and probably better) than her rating.
dacap06 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2012

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road

Thanks again. This is great.

One more question I just thought of:

Anything to keep in mind when attempting to heave to with a massive head sail? Do I have to trim the main sheet more than I am used to (which is not at all).
Old 12-15-2012
Just another Moderator

You'll just have to give it a try.. it's likely that you'll have to trim some main on to balance up compared to other boats with more even split between main/jib.. but the hull has a lot to do with all that too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.