Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012

multiboat is on a distinguished road
Basic rankings of Sailboats

Where's the best place to find the rank of sailboats, similar to powerboats (runabouts, where Bayliner's are the starter or basic, on up to the Mariah's, Crownline's, etc?

Last edited by multiboat; 12-17-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Basic rankings of Sailboats

Right here on Sailnet, of course!

My boat is #1, everyone else's boat is lower down the list....

On a more serious note, most sailboats are built for specific purpose(s), so it depends on your intended usage.

What would be the purpose of the vessel you wish to buy?
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-17-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Have a very lose one:

Racing boats, that have many categories.

Pleasure boats divided in dinghy and sailing boats.

Regarding dinghies you can have plenty categories, regarding sailing boats you have day sailors (not meant for cruising) and cruising boats.

Regarding cruising boats you have an huge variety that go from weekend cruisers to voyage boats, from boats to use in sheltered waters to offshore boats. From boats that have an incredibly good sailing performance and that are meant to cruise almost exclusively sailing to others that are meant for motoring almost all the time and that use sails has an auxiliary mean of propulsion.

Take your pick, there are for all tastes
chef2sail and multiboat like this.
Old 12-17-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Multi,

There are way too many variables involved to boil it all down to a simple "this boat is best" kind of list.

By their nature, sailboats are a much more complex system than a powerboat. Hull design and construction methods are strongly influenced by the intended use (racing, day sailing, coastal cruising, bluewater voyaging, etc.) and many times wind up being very, very different.

Within each of these categories, you'll still be faced with trying to compare several relatively incomparable vessels.

A lot comes down to personal tastes as well.

If you narrow your search criteria down significantly, then you may be able to find a better answer. For example, "Who builds the best 27'-34' coastal cruiser?" would get you many responses.
Old 12-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

As PCP as many boats made to fint the endless possiblities and wants of the people who sail them. very rarely is there a boat that has everything you want, unless you are loaded.

Budget, intended sailing purpose, region of sailing all are large factors. The cockpit, hull interior sailing plan design. workmanship. Then many more things to drill down to

This is a good forum. I beleive there is a place on SN to look at an overvierw of boats by the owners or go to the individual boats owners forum sites.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-17-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiboat View Post
Where's the best place to find the rank of sailboats, similar to powerboats (runabouts, where Bayliner's are the satrter or basic, on up to the Mariah's, Crownline's, etc?
Tell us where you want to use it, large lake or crossing the Pacific, how many people will usually be aboard, daysailer only, occasional overnight, weeks at a time, racing, general cruising or something inbetween, etc.
Old 12-17-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

A useful correlation would be price, assuming other factors are the same (age, state of maintenance)
Old 12-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This is a good forum. I beleive there is a place on SN to look at an overvierw of boats by the owners or go to the individual boats owners forum sites. dave
Keep in mind that you will virtually never see anything critical about any boat by someone who owns one. The specific boat forums can provide a lot of info by looking in the projects sections - are they doing rudder repairs or galley trim?

The most unbiased info I think comes from people experienced with a particular boat but who don't own one.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-17-2012

multiboat is on a distinguished road

All good excellent info you've all provided. What I want to avoid is supporting my name...Multiboat. Today I have 2 kayaks, a canoe, 2 jon boats (14' to fish and 18' to handle the weight of duck decoys, gear & hunters on a river that can get whitecaps) and a Bayliner that I just sold but replaced with a pontoon. I'd end up divorced if I acquired a dinghy, racer, weekend cruiser,.... I liked the advice on one thread about starting small, buy used from Craigslist, get the feel of the sail, then re-sell and go bigger.
Old 12-18-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If you want to sail and learn, not get the spouse tooooo pissed at you, reality is, ANY boat in the what I would say is 8-10' range, with a single sail would work just fine. Assuming it does not have any holes in it so it sinks etc. The types of boats that fit in the catagory cover the first 300 or so pages of a book I have from the early 80's. Total pages from memory is a lot. Book is 3-4" thick!

Reality, any dinghy will work. Not sure I would want a laser or sunfish per say to start with, but even sailing boards like these would work. Heck, even a hobie 14 could be interesting to learn on...........

Marty
chef2sail likes this.