Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: nemier...update

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
On the other hand what of the Nordhavn motor sailor ? Man that is one ugly sucker.
... isn't that the one CD was drooling over??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
... isn't that the one CD was drooling over??
Nope nordhavn 46. I would take a 62 but that would put me back to the day job, so from where I am sitting (in my bathing suit as I type this), my Catalina 400 is the perfect boat!!!!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-18-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Fuzzy- a lot of the Nordhavn's have a small wing engine off to one side as a "get home" back up, usually have a folding two blade prop. Single engine is the most efficient, but twin screw sure would be nice for close quarter work.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-18-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the most welcome posts.
Well, where do I begin. Lets just say travelling by sea was my future and Julie (my wife) knew that. She knew it was not going to go away when I started frequenting SailNet again and talking about single-handing. Actually not one of my finest moments, and upon reflection, one I regret. As I said in my post, after some reality checks and soul searching, we Have to be together and well, my wife is simply not a sailor. As you may have remembered, I was considering a large Cat too. I had contacted Gregor Tarjan & discussed putting a deposit down on a newbuild Aeroyacht Alpha 42. That died a natural death after a while, and all avenues always came back to a Nordhavn. It's the only boat where Julie came alive and actively discussed our future sailing the world together. So in retrospect, it always was a no-brainer, just took some time getting there.
We sold the house, sold the stink-pot (finally!!) bought our N62 and moved aboard a month ago. I will continue to work, but we'll travel in-between those work periods.

The plan is to tackle the PNW this spring & perhaps Alaska in the summer, coming back down the West side, and completeing a circumnav of Vancouver Island. Providing all goes well there, our plan is to head south in the fall 2013. Once we leave Vancouver, the boat will not be coming back to Vancouver until we have traversed God's blue earth.

Our N62 - hull 18 - has already circumnavigated the world, so we are in good hands. She's powered by a single Lugger (325hp) and has a 'get-home' engine (called a "wing") - a 70 hp Lugger with a separate shaft off to the stbd side. The Wing also sees double-duty as the main source of hydraulic power (thrusters, anchor, winches, etc) so is exercised regularly. We're truly spoilt here, and nothing hard about it - apart from paying for the diesel I guess
It's a pleasure taking part here again. Ciao.
Old 12-18-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

John,
It is the close quarter work that most appeals with the twin main engines, though yes I can understand the economy advantages of the single.
I guess in reality after building so many boats and being pretty much the undisputed kings (??) of the world cruising power boat Nordhavn know a thing or two about one or two screws.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-19-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

nemier- hope to cross paths with you and Julie somewhere this summer in BC. Sounds like a great boat.
Fair winds.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the most welcome posts.
Well, where do I begin. Lets just say travelling by sea was my future and Julie (my wife) knew that. She knew it was not going to go away when I started frequenting SailNet again and talking about single-handing. Actually not one of my finest moments, and upon reflection, one I regret. As I said in my post, after some reality checks and soul searching, we Have to be together and well, my wife is simply not a sailor. As you may have remembered, I was considering a large Cat too. I had contacted Gregor Tarjan & discussed putting a deposit down on a newbuild Aeroyacht Alpha 42. That died a natural death after a while, and all avenues always came back to a Nordhavn. It's the only boat where Julie came alive and actively discussed our future sailing the world together. So in retrospect, it always was a no-brainer, just took some time getting there.
We sold the house, sold the stink-pot (finally!!) bought our N62 and moved aboard a month ago. I will continue to work, but we'll travel in-between those work periods.

The plan is to tackle the PNW this spring & perhaps Alaska in the summer, coming back down the West side, and completeing a circumnav of Vancouver Island. Providing all goes well there, our plan is to head south in the fall 2013. Once we leave Vancouver, the boat will not be coming back to Vancouver until we have traversed God's blue earth.

Our N62 - hull 18 - has already circumnavigated the world, so we are in good hands. She's powered by a single Lugger (325hp) and has a 'get-home' engine (called a "wing") - a 70 hp Lugger with a separate shaft off to the stbd side. The Wing also sees double-duty as the main source of hydraulic power (thrusters, anchor, winches, etc) so is exercised regularly. We're truly spoilt here, and nothing hard about it - apart from paying for the diesel I guess
It's a pleasure taking part here again. Ciao.
I do really wish you the best of luck and I do understand why you have made that choice.

Boats like those can look a lot more seaworthy than smaller sailing boats and I really hope that after sailing in some bad weather your wife does not decide that after all the boat is too small and uncomfortable.

Besides the fuel costs you will experiment another problem that is common to all big boats: They could not enjoy the close protection of land as a smaller boat can and small coves and shelters would be out of limits specially if there is any other smaller boat there.

Of course you have more chain and are able to stay more away from shore and that's what bigger boasts do, but it is also less sheltered and uncomfortable there. You cannot also look were you drop your anchor and normally sandy bottoms are close to the shore. I have seen many big boats that were on the same anchorage than me, but more offshore, dragging away where all smaller boats, closer to the shore could hold on. An anchor watch will be more needed than in a smaller boat.

But you got a boat the size of a house and that is just great to live aboard and I am sure it is not only your wife that appreciates that.

Please continue to post about your circumnavigation. I think that many would like to have news about that, motor boat or not, me included. After all many have sailboats and cruise motoring most of the time

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-19-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Nordhaven great quality boat...shes a beuat. We will let you stay as long as your the anchor boat for the raft ups and parties.

Good luck with her.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-03-2013

nemier is on a distinguished road

Hi guys / gals,
,,,,still getting my daily sailnet fix,, (awesome community)
..for those who may be interested in an update..
Infinity | Documenting our Voyages
Cheers.
Faster, tdw and bljones like this.
Old 10-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

WOW, what a beautiful boat! Love the refit work you've done!
1975 Albacore 15