We've had our Pearson 28-2 for 5 years, and she's been great for day sailing and a little cruising on the Chesapeake. Yet we're thinking of moving to something larger. My wife and I day sail together, but she leaves the cruising to me and any friends I can entice because she finds overnighting on the 28-2 to be the equivalent of "camping."
I didn't get this at first because I backpack, and the boat accommodations seemed luxurious by comparison. A roof! Mattresses! Hot water! Seats
! But I can now see it through her eyes, and she sees Ice Box! Cramped quarters! Climbing up to the V berth! Old foam mattresses! No stowage! Alcohol stove
So we're sort of looking. Basically, we want a boat that is still fun to day sail on the light-wind Chesapeake, has a shoal keel or centerboard (say under 5 ft) so we don't have to sweat every anchorage, two cabins and some room so we can take another couple along on 2 to 5 day trips.
* Under $100K
* Prefer to stay under say 38 feet
* No keel stepped masts (I like a dry bilge!)
* No fixer uppers--Happy to maintain and upgrade, but I brought the 28-2 back from the dead. I don't want to do that this time.
* Would prefer something 10 years old or less (or ferociously maintained!)
* No Volvo engines
* No Hunters--No offense! But I hate the limitations of the severly swept back spreaders of the B&R rig
! I can just tolerate the slightly swept back spreaders I've got.
When I look on YW, I seem to have gotten us down to Beneteau and Catalina, which is fine, but I'm open to suggestions--or nasty comments if you must