Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012

SawWhet is on a distinguished road
Re: *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat

We went from a Tanzer 26' to a 1997 Beneteau 321,cery large ft cabin,propane stove with oven,added refrigeration to ice box,My wife and I love the boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
It's funny Tom because the first half of your email read like my search when going from my previous boat to the 28-2. It's got so much storage space and is so much more comfortable than my Catalina 25 was (and we still enjoyed cruising on that). I guess that is why it's three foot itis.
I still think the P28-2 is quite a boat, Alex--it does it all nicely. The cabin is really attractive, we both like the aft head, and my friends have used the aft cabin without complaint!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 12-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The MKII C 34s are deck stepped, the MKIs are keelstepped except the first few hull #s. The 36s are all keel stepped I believe.. which is too bad because I think overall the layout, and esp the galley, of the 36 trumps the 34 in all other areas.

With your 10 year age limit you'll be looking mainly at MkII versions.. on the 34 the primary advantages are the mast step and the larger cockpit/aft cabin and reduced exterior teak (usually drop boards only). An early to mid 2000s model should be well do-able at $100K or less.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-18-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road
arf, if you haven't already by all means check out the owners' organization websites for the C34 and C36. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people there.
Old 12-18-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I am a past measurer for the Catalina C34 International Owners Association so feel free to ask any specific questions you like. The C34 actually started out as a deck stepped mast. Went to keel stepped for a few years and then back to deck stepped. The boat had been in production for over twenty years (over 1,500 built) so there are many different combinations of engines etc. All the boats used the same (underwater) hull mold and both the “sugar scoops” and “classic sterns” conform to the same one design rule. On the west coast, boats newer than 2000 can still command a price in excess of $100k. I am sure that you can find an older MkII or Mk1Ĺ boat easily within your price range. Understandably, the condition and what kind of gear added on will determine the ultimate price. My year 2000 boat draws 5’ 8” and has a standard keel. The shoal keel will get you to under 5’ but your ability to point is reduced by a good 5*. Both the C34 and 36 share practically all the same equipment (MkII boats) so it will be personal preference which one you will ultimately decide on. We all love our own boats dearly, but I can state a fact, that there isn’t a C36 I’ve come across that I couldn’t out sail. The C34IA.org is an excellent source of information as is the C36 owners association.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 12-18-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

Thanks for the ideas!

Chuckles, I took a look at an Irwin 38 CC on YW--nice. I think that's a keel stepped mast tho. I'll take a look at the Morgan too.

Brian, pretty much every time I see a Bene First on YW in the mid-Atlantic, it's been raced, usually with nice deep draft too. I get the feeling that not many of these are used as performance cruisers. Maybe I haven't looked enough. But the Bene 331, 343 are on my list. Glad to hear you are happy with your 321, SawWhet. I'd love to hear more.

Steve77 and GeorgeB, I've spent a fair amount of time lurking around the C34 site. The level of support there is awesome and confidence inspiring --a big mark in the C34's favor. I guess I'll know more when I get us on some of these boats, but right now I'd favor the 34 over the 36 for the performance. We're already giving up something with the shoal keel.

I think in the end, we will still do more day sailing than cruising, or at least as much, so I'll always care about performance, that is, sailing feel, I guess. And of course I realize that makes for compromises.

BTW, Faster, you read my mind regarding exterior teak! I don't need it. I love aluminum toe rails and can't understand why Bene has gone back to teak toe rails and cabin top hand rails.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 12-19-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I went through a very similar process in 2006. I had a Newport 28 that we (my family of 5) been day sailing and using on overnight trips. The 28 was great for day sails but was too small for anything more than 1 night. My budget was significantly less than yours (under $35K) but the rest was comparable. I ended up with an O'day 35, which has been great.

There are lots of boats out there that would meet your needs. Do you care more about performance or comfort? Do you want something that's great for day sailing and Ok for week long cruises or the other way around?

I love my 35' boat when we're on board for a long weekend. I don't love it so much when I am sanding the bottom, cleaning the hull, paying for winter storage, etc. Then I think 'why wasn't I happy with a 28' boat?'

If it's just the two of you, I would try real hard to stay under 35'. If you like convenience more than performance, the Beneteau Oceanus boats would be great. You could look at the 323, 331, 343, etc. Most have roller furling mains and all the comforts below. As previously mentioned the Catalina 34 would meet your needs. Most have traditional mains and will sail better than the Beneteaus. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Catalina 320. Those are pretty nice too. Lastly there are few Jenneau models that would work. I find them 'prettier' than the Beneteau boats.

Too bad you don't like hunter boats. The late model 33 sounds like it was designed for your requirements.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Tom,

Your post very much mirrors where the Admiral and I are. She is 2 years away from retirement. She loves our camping life and is not reluctant to "camp" on our I-28. We both look forward to enough space to stay aboard as long as it appeals. We, too are looking for next. I rebuilt our current boat and she wants to park it so we have it to return to when we tire of living aboard. We have the space. It isn't a priority for me but that is who the Admiral is. Lucky me.

I do understand the advantages of a performance cruiser. We are still open to other options. Age is not as critical for us. One boat we are starting to look more closely at is the Camper and Nicholson 35. ??? We may decide to purchase our boat in Europe, spend some time there and sail home. It is getting exciting. A couple of years isn't far off. No time to loose.

Down
Old 12-19-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Do you care more about performance or comfort? Do you want something that's great for day sailing and Ok for week long cruises or the other way around?
I lean more toward the great for day sailing, OK for week long cruises. Of course that "OK" level is determined by my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
If it's just the two of you, I would try real hard to stay under 35'.
That's really the plan. I threw out the larger length to accommodate any older, less chunky boats someone may want to suggest.

Re: Beneteaus & Catalinas
Those are the Bene models I have in mind, though I would try hard to find one without the furling main. I'll look into the Cat 320.

A question to those who have sailed both: IYHO, is say the C34 shoal a better performer than say the B331 or B 343 shoal? IIRC, the Bene's are lighter--thought they might go better in light wind.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 12-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I.....
Those are the Bene models I have in mind, though I would try hard to find one without the furling main. I'll look into the Cat 320.
We were sort-of-shopping last spring, and the C320 was on our list.. from my point of view mostly for the nicer looking rig and appendages, and open spacious cockpit. It has a lot of the features (cockpit, deck step, no teak, etc) that you need to go to a MKII 34 or 36 to get. I also liked the galley better than the C34. However the storage options are reduced and the main cabin feels quite a bit smaller. Also the access to the V berth is really narrow.. a large person would have difficulty getting in and out, unlike the 34 and 36 which have very large, roomy comfortable Vs. The aft cabins are probably a wash, esp compared to the MKII 34/36.

With Bene's I've sailed a 321 (2007) with furling main.. it actually went OK, it was a deep keel version. I'd have preferred a standard main but that's very hard to find in that vintage. I've been quite impressed with the sailing ability and ruggedness of the First 36.7 and have put over 1K nm on one in the Caribbean. Storage is a bit of an issue.. I will say the B361 has a monstrous icebox/reefer that my wife quite salivates over, but we both find the cruising benes of that vintage a bit 'vanilla' somehow...

Though I kind of hate to say it, we really liked the layout and setup of the Hunter 355 Legend (91-94) best of all of them. Frac rig, decent cockpit (but smaller than the Cats) arguably a better layout below and arguably 'sexier' looking but of course that's subjective. The biggest knock for me on the h355 is the rarity of a deep keel version - not an issue for you...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.