Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: *Thinking* about a bigger, better boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
When I look on YW, I seem to have gotten us down to Beneteau and Catalina, which is fine, but I'm open to suggestions--or nasty comments if you must
HAHA! That's funny. When I was reading you post (before I got to the above quoted section) I thought "man this guy is looking for a Benniteau or Catalina." I don't add Hunters to this list because I don't like them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The Benetaus and Catalinas I would recommend with some reservations.

You're not going offshore right? Good. Then they are recommended for you.

I've been aboard many of each brand and sailed both quite a few times. I've raced a catalina 30 for over 10 years and they actually sail pretty well. In "general" I would say that the benetaus sail a little bit better, especially in light wind, and the catalinas are a little more stout. The catalinas "feel" bigger inside but the Benetaus actually use the space a little better.

I would advise taking your wife below several of each make and see which one she likes. You'll likely be happy with either, but if she isn't happy, you'll be sailing alone again. I bought the boat I have now based on the fact that my wife (then girlfriend) fell in love with it. I might have picked a slightly different (and smaller) boat, but it was WELL within what I could really like and she fell in love with it. Now she's a willing crew and we're both happy.

Good luck shopping!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I would advise taking your wife below several of each make and see which one she likes. You'll likely be happy with either, but if she isn't happy, you'll be sailing alone again. I bought the boat I have now based on the fact that my wife (then girlfriend) fell in love with it. I might have picked a slightly different (and smaller) boat, but it was WELL within what I could really like and she fell in love with it. Now she's a willing crew and we're both happy.

Good luck shopping!
Thanks MedSailor. That is the next step for sure. Actually we have been aboard the Bene 34 and Cat 355 (or whatever it is) at the Annapolis show, and she much prefers the Bene, and that seems to hold true for their models over the last 10 - 12 years or so, where we'd be looking. And at some point we will need to sail one of these contenders!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Just for the record, the Irwin 38 CC is not keel stepped, that's a compression post you see in the pictures of the salon.
Old 05-05-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

I just thought I'd update this thread. I went from thinking to doing, and the winner was a 2000 Beneteau 331 in very nice condition--furling main but with standard keel (5' 5"). We sailed her home to Tracy's Landing from Annapolis on Saturday. Actually, we did more motoring than sailing, as we didn't get going until after noon, when the wind got very flaky. What sailing we did however, felt good, and we're looking forward to getting her out there as soon as possible.

Now, I have an excellent Pearson 28-2 for sale...!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-06-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just thought I'd update this thread. I went from thinking to doing, and the winner was a 2000 Beneteau 331 in very nice condition--furling main but with standard keel (5' 5").
Nice choice!!! I tell you, nobody knows how to make the most of space, while preserving performance like Beneteau. I hadn't seen this model but I love the layout and I bet she sails well (though I wonder why the keel isn't a little deeper).

Enjoy the boat!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-06-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Congrats Tom!

I've never seen one of these in person, but based on the line drawing on sailboatdata it looks like a boat with a similar (but much larger of course) interior to your Pearson 28-2. I hope it gives you many years of great service, and that someone good buys your current boat.
Old 05-06-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just thought I'd update this thread. I went from thinking to doing, and the winner was a 2000 Beneteau 331 in very nice condition--furling main but with standard keel (5' 5"). We sailed her home to Tracy's Landing from Annapolis on Saturday. Actually, we did more motoring than sailing, as we didn't get going until after noon, when the wind got very flaky. What sailing we did however, felt good, and we're looking forward to getting her out there as soon as possible.

Now, I have an excellent Pearson 28-2 for sale...!
Wow a fleet owner...Congratulations, hope you downsize your collection soon.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-06-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Nice choice!!! I tell you, nobody knows how to make the most of space, while preserving performance like Beneteau. I hadn't seen this model but I love the layout and I bet she sails well (though I wonder why the keel isn't a little deeper).

Enjoy the boat!
Thanks MedSailor!

But, you Pacific Northwesters! No appreciation for the thin film of water we sail on in parts of the Chesapeake The shoal keel that you see 90% of the used Beneteaus with around here is a foot shallower. The deeper keel was one of this boats attractions to me--better sailing--but also a source of a little worry--running aground. I'll be very nervous the first time we go into Knapps Narrows (a small waterway that splits the Tighlman Island pennisula).

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 05-06-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Congrats Tom!

I've never seen one of these in person, but based on the line drawing on sailboatdata it looks like a boat with a similar (but much larger of course) interior to your Pearson 28-2. I hope it gives you many years of great service, and that someone good buys your current boat.
Thanks Alex! You hit the nail on the head regarding the interior. We liked the interior on the 28-2 and were very happy to find something similar, if bigger. We love the aft head and aft cabin. She's got a little more galley space because the aft cabin door is on the other side.

I'll post some pictures when I take some good ones.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 05-06-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Wow a fleet owner...Congratulations, hope you downsize your collection soon.
Thanks SimonV! I updated my signature to show my hopefully short-lived fleet. The admiral of my navy has ordered a fleet reduction ASAP--in fact she wanted it done beforehand, but then I would have been facing the summer boatless
SimonV likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay