Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Passport 41

I've been watching this boat for the past 2 years or so, and it's still perhaps 3 or 4 years before my wife and I would be serious about buying something for long term cruising, but this one keeps taunting me. It's one of the few affordable Passports that I think suits us for a number of reasons- it's simple, it's big enough (and certainly a well-proven design), but one nice feature- it has a sugar-scoop stern, which just about all the others (P-40 and P-42) don't have. Installing windvane gear would be a bit of a challenge, but we would love the access to and from the water/dinghy you get with that type of stern design. But what is up with this boat? It disappeared for a few months last year, and I thought someone had bought it. It's the only one out there (at least from what I can tell from searching other boat selling sites), but can anyone tell from the info listed if there are noteworthy issues without flying all the way up to the PNW and doing a survey or contacting Uncle Bob? I haven't called the broker- I'm sure he'd hang up if I told him my timeline... I realize this boat may require a ton of refitting to get it ready.

Here's the yachtworld listing:
1989 Passport 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Ray

Last edited by Irunbird; 12-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Passport 41

Hi Ray,
I'll take a stab at it.

The specs did not give out much on age of rigging, condition of sails, By the way it looks to be a sloop and not a cutter rig. If your going off shore you might do better to have a cutter rig. Also has manual windlass most likely you would want to replace that with a good windlass. Like most used boats most of the electronics would need to be replaced. Engine only has 1700 hours so I don't think you would need more than a good engine survey.

I will go out on the line and say if you can bring the price down to 140K and have time to work on it yourself over the next 3 or 4 years you will probably spend another 70K if you want her right for long term passage making. But a good seaworthy boat, to bad it is a sloop though.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

As far as I know there was never a production Passport 41... To me this looks like a Passport 40 that someone modified with the stern platform.. thus the extra foot. Down below she's pure P40.

However if the mods were well done I wouldn't be scared off, and the price looks about right for a good shape P40. That transom modification would be a coastal cruising improvement, for sure.. although it does raise issues with a steering vane. OTOH we had a boat neighbour install a Hydrovane on a C&C 115 last summer, so it's possible.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-20-2012

Thanks, guys- this is really my "tire-kicking" coming to fruition, here.. My wife would shoot me if I took off and trailered this thing home while she was out on the road (she travels for work and doesn't supervise my sailnetting while away).. But, I love a good project. Whatever boat we do end up with is likely going to need some work. If they didn't alter the j-dimension, I would think adding an inner forestay wouldn't be that difficult, and I'd prefer it to be detachable anyway. What would be the problem with a scoop transom other than the vane gear issue?
Old 12-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
..... What would be the problem with a scoop transom other than the vane gear issue?
No problem.. it's an asset otherwise. The only possible 'downside' of that style of platform is the need to still climb 'up and over' the transom as opposed to today's more popular 'walk throughs'.. But still as a dinghy access and swimming access point it's much better than just a ladder, and a big improvement over the P40's accessibility with its overhanging transom.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-20-2012

Ray, I'm sure that boat was designed to be a cutter rig with the mast further aft, you might check on that. If you went with inner forestay arrangement already on the boat and mast, you would need to add two more winches in the cockpit. Also you can put the German made Windpilot Pacific on that stern. Might be tight getting to the ladder but doable and a great wind vane.

Looking at what is on the boat and the sloop rig looks like the first owners cut some costs or didn't want much in the way of gear.

So that you do not get kicked out of the house I'd wait till your wife allows you to really do some retail theropy. I think you could do a lot better than that boat.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2012

Ha-ha! Well, the way I've been spending money on our Olson 30, I'm not sure there'll be much left for the big boat! I've probably changed my mind at least a dozen times over the past 4 years or so about which boat I think we'd like best, but we're definitely taking our time doing it... I've actually been looking at a few Tartan 4100's that look pretty nice- just not the tankage and none of them are cutter-rigged (or can accommodate any sort of staysail).
Old 12-21-2012

Ray, take your time sounds like you have it and you will find the boat. Maybe it is time to stop spending money on the Olson.

You want to spend money buy a new boat. We have 5 months left before completion so we are having fun now. New boat, new everything, dishes, towels, custom sheets, Paper charts for the next 5 to 7 years, 60 pounds worth of Bellingham 2/3 charts close to 500 charts. Engine spare parts, Gale rider, cookware, eprib, Sat phone. I spent 3 days in Seattle two weeks ago buying boat gear close to 8 hours per day on each day. They loved to see me coming. Next, European shopping over the internet, electronics and everything else. It's a full time job. At least with a good used boat most of the stuff should be on it when you sign papers.

There are a lot of nice boats out there to be looked at and one to be bought but make sure you take your wife with you, it's no good without here to decide.

Last edited by hannah2; 12-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Ha-ha! Well, the way I've been spending money on our Olson 30, I'm not sure there'll be much left for the big boat! I've probably changed my mind at least a dozen times over the past 4 years or so about which boat I think we'd like best, but we're definitely taking our time doing it... I've actually been looking at a few Tartan 4100's that look pretty nice- just not the tankage and none of them are cutter-rigged (or can accommodate any sort of staysail).
OUr frinds Tartan 4100 has a removeable inner forestay, so there is a way for you to add that.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Took another look at the listing.. noticed another major departure from typical Passports. No external teak. Anodized toerail (plus), no teak caprail, eyebrow trim or wooden handrails on deck (plus) Down below she looks essentially unchanged. Mast position is same as std Passport 40.

Without the wood trim she's perhaps not as 'pretty', but a lot less maintenance.
tdw likes this.