Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau 42 vs. Catalina 42

We're looking at a 1999 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42 (Broker) and a 1990 Catalina 42 (Craigslist). Both are asking $89K. We currently live aboard a Cal 29. We like the tri-cabin layout of the Jeanneau and Catalina, which would better accomodate our 5 and 7 year olds.

All else being equal, would the Jeanneau have a higher resale value?

Which is a better open water vessel? We live in the Puget Sound, but are open to coastal cruising some day. The broker has impressed upon us that this Jeanneau has completed a circumnavigation, but in my book, that doesn't make it a safe offshore boat.

Are there any other tri-cabins I'm not considering, for under $90K?

We will miss the Cal. It is great for cruising the Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Jeanneau 42 vs. Catalina 42

For cruising the sound and north to around Van Isle etc, Either will work. If you want to sail to Hawaii, either will work! If you want to go try the northern passage, or to anartica....both should work.....

Reality is, both IMHO are about the same, Brian, AKA CD one of our illustrious mods iwth a cat 400 IIRC would disagree, but being as I own a Jeanneau.......we'll let his ugly bull dog and my cute King Charles cavalier duke it out!

The jeanneau might worry me in that it has been around, so things may not be as sound. Then again, it may be more sound since the owners were on it more, so it got fixed upgraded as need be.

Some things one really needs to know, how old are the sails.....if both are original, the Jeanneau's may be more worn out due to the circumnavigation. Hrs on the motor, tankage is enough for YOUR needs.

Jeanneau's size for size are generally faster, a little more new'ish/cutting edge design vs catalina. On the other hand, Catalina uses lead for a keel vs iron in Jeanneau, for some this is a plus for lead, and they will not by iron. Iron is cheaper too!

At the end, get the kids on board, wife etc, Figure out HOW they will fit, is one seem easier to sail rigging wise. what will you need to change etc. Add up the extra's you will have to do on top of the boat coast, then you will know which is best for you.

Both also have owners forums etc online. www.jeanneau-owners.com and Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home will get you to a general info/world wise new info and the forum. face book page https://www.facebook.com/groups/16871511284/ I'm sure Brian can come up with the same for catalina.

marty
Old 12-27-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

1999 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Is this the Jeanneau you are looking at? brian would like it as it is a shoal draft. I would not look at it because it is a shoal draft....... There is a 44' Jeanneau with a tri cabin for about 115K IIRC in Vancouver.....may be negotiable.......Looks nicer to me.

Other brands have tricabins too, Beneteau, C&C, Tartan, CS to name a few more brands.

Marty
Old 12-27-2012

ThirdCoastSailor is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about the Jeanneau but the Catalina 42 is a very popular cruising boat. I don't think you can go wrong there if you find one in good condition.

s/v Memento Vivere
'Remember to Live!'
Catalina 380
Old 12-27-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

condition is more important than pedigree for a 20 year old boat. Was the Jenneau a charter? Engine hours? rigging original?
Old 12-27-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

With everything equals, I would take the newer boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

IMHO the Jenn is a better looking boat but if you are living aboard I'd go for the Cat - that pullman cabin is a BIG improvement over a V-berth for a couple.

In terms of build quality I think it's a wash. A circumnavigation uses up a lot of boat - have the sails, rigging, engine etc. been redone since?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-30-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

We placed an offer on the Catalina and the owner accepted. It's in better overall shape, even for an older boat, and it just has a nicer feel inside.... more homey. The engine has about 3300 hrs compared to 6900 on the Jeanneau. It's exciting but I will miss the Cal. I don't think the Catalina will be as fun to sail. It's a floating motorhome.
Old 12-30-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Glossa View Post
We placed an offer on the Catalina and the owner accepted. It's in better overall shape, even for an older boat, and it just has a nicer feel inside.... more homey. The engine has about 3300 hrs compared to 6900 on the Jeanneau. It's exciting but I will miss the Cal. I don't think the Catalina will be as fun to sail. It's a floating motorhome.
Congrats!... I think that was the better choice.. The Jeanneaus have their pluses but I think that the Catalina 42 is a winner.. MkI, I presume?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Glossa View Post
Congrats. The Cat isn't meant to be a race boat but it slips right along (PHRF is 96) and is very comfortable on deck and below.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.