Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: S2 7.9

sailingfool: Thanks for the anecdote, it does seem that the 6.9 was designed as a slightly smaller version of the 7.9, so I very much appreciate your insight. You are correct about the "busting through the waves" comment, what I really meant and should have said is "has a decent ride in moderate wave action" (i.e. not being bounced around TOO much). I think that you are correct and everyone has pretty much confirmed my thoughts and on paper analysis of this boat, so this is definitely what I'm going to be looking for! So if anyone knows of one (or more..) for sale in the Great Lakes region (other than the ones on Yachtworld and Sailboatlistings, I already know about those!) I'd sure like to hear about them.

Thanks, and if anyone else has insight and/or stories related to the 7.9, I'm not in any way opposed to having my decision re-enforced even more strongly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Just to play the devil's-advocate: Why is trailerability a requirement? If there is any way you would consider keeping a boat on a mooring or slip, then there would be a bunch more possibilities, that have good motion comfort, aren't too tender, etc.
Old 12-29-2012

Barquito: oh believe me, I would love to keep a boat on a mooring or a slip, and would do so if I lived closer to big water, but since I currently live about 2.5 hours from southern lake Michigan and 4+ hours from lake Erie, but have a small lake with an active sailing club about two miles from where I work, I want a boat I can keep and use there on a regular basis, but then trailer to the bigger water (and be big enough for) for long weekend or week-long excursions. I originally started looking for a larger (non trailerable) boat originally, but then the reality of how little we would be able to utilize it and how much it would cost us to slip and maintain on lake Michigan set in, and I decided that a large trailerable would be a better choice for us at this time. Thanks for the input though! :-)

-Brandon
Old 12-29-2012

Gary M is on a distinguished road

The 7.9 is a great sailing boat. I have raced on them numerous times. They, like all the older "performance" boats, have maintenance issues. There is a very active club that races them, you can google the site.
They would prefer that you race but are very friendly and will answer your questions.
The boat handles the normal weather on the Great Lakes quite well. Raising the dagger board, which weighs about 600 pounds, is an effort but you would only do this when you are ready to haul. Teh starboard cabin top winch that you use for this is the biggest winch on the boat.

The boats over #400 are sought after by avid racers so you will not get a deal on one of those. The BMW engine has not aged well. An outboard with an alternator is a good cruising option.

As allways a really good survey is required.

Good Luck
Old 12-30-2012

I would very likely end up doing some at least casual racing, having a fast boat is kind of like having a fast car, you might as well race occasionally, or you could make do with a Yugo! I will definitely be getting a survey of whatever boat I end up making an offer on, don't worry about that! I did find sail79s.org, so that is a good resource. Any one have a general sense of what these are going for these days? (Hull #400 and below, and hull 400+)? I know that condition, included equipment, etc. makes a difference, but a general sense would be good! Thanks!

Brandon
Old 12-30-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Don't see any 7.9s on YW, but there are a number of 8.0s ranging $4-7K or so... I'd think you'd be in that ballpark depending if it comes with a trailer or not....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2012

Gary M is on a distinguished road

Because the 7.9 is such a popular race boat you will not get one in that price range unless it is in very rough shape. I strongly recommend not buying a boat in that condition, I did, never again.
Faster likes this.
Old 12-30-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
Because the 7.9 is such a popular race boat you will not get one in that price range unless it is in very rough shape. I strongly recommend not buying a boat in that condition, I did, never again.
Gary will have better sense of this than we do on the West Coast.. they are rather rare here...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2012

Thanks everyone for their thoughts.

Gary: Yeah, I don't mind needing to do a bit of work, but I certainly don't want a "beater." You thinking an early pre-#400 in decent shape with an outboard, a trailer, and relatively recent sails would be fair to both parties in the $10k-$13k range?

-Brandon
Old 12-31-2012

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

I have owned an S2 7.9 for ten years - keep it at the Sandusky Sailing Club, where this year we will have three of them. Here are a few comments based on what has been written so far. (1) If your wife is like mine, she will NEVER be comfortable in 3 to 5 foot waves. And around 25 kts is when expensive things start to tear & break. For those reasons I don't go out if I know it's going to blow about 22 or more. (2) Buy a 7.9 with an outboard. The inboard's are much harder to sell, and have had reliability issues (parts not available) (3) Check out the class assoc web page. for things to inspect carefully before you buy (like water intrusion around the coaming winches, stantions (sp?) and mast step). These may not be deal breakers (my boat, # 445, had all of them), but should affect what you pay. Get a survey for sure. (4) I like the interior liner - it helps to dampen sound, and can be used to hold velcro stuff. (5) the dagger board weighs 600 lbs. (6) I love how the boat sails - I cruise it over to Canada regularly, and do some racing. It's way fun to just blow away larger boats. It will do 6.5 kts routinely, and over 7 in the right (broad reach) conditions. (7) The 7.9s hold their value well. If you pay $ 17K (for a good one) you should be able to get most or all of that back when you sell it.
Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to stop by SSC for a 7.9 sail in the spring if you are in the area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.