Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: S2 7.9

ajoliver: Thanks for the information! I would say that I certainly don't INTEND to be out when the wind is hitting 25+ knots, but if we happened to be cruising around for a week or more, I'm sure it could/would happen eventually and I wanted to know how the boat handles it. My wife is pretty brave and her main problem when we got caught out that one time was the difficulty of reducing sail and our underpowered outboard to get us back to port, more so than the wave action itself. I think the heavier boat and better reefing hardware will make a huge difference for her. So from your statement, it sounds like $17k would be a good price for a hull #400+ with trailer and outboard, do you have a feel for what an earlier one should go for (say 1980-83, converted from inboard to outboard, with a good trailer)? You say that the 7.9 will do 6.5-7 knots...do they plane, or just climb up a bit on the bow wave? That's pretty impressive for a 26 ft boat! I will almost certainly take you up on your offer to stop by this spring, I'm still pretty new to sailing and know that I have lots to learn! Thanks for the offer!

-Brandon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

A few other points to consider for an S2 7.9 purchase. The boat plus trailer will weigh around 6,000 pounds. You'll need a decent-sized vehicle to tow it.
On what to do when the wind pipes up: Sounds like you handled this well. You are right that boats & crew should always be ready for these conditions. My own way of handling these situations is to, first, drop the head sail, and sail under main alone close to the shelter of the marina. Only then do I start the motor and drop the main. The reason for this is that in waves, most boats will handle better under sail than by motoring. Outboard motors in particular are not so good in waves.
A 7.9 that has been converted from inboard to outboard also needs to have the interior ballast adjusted (moved and weight added). I don't know how to do that.
The nearly 7 kt speed I got was in unusual conditions - surfing down following waves in 15 to 17 kts of wind on a broad reach. Made it from the NW corner of Pelee (I love that place) to Sandusky Bay in three hours - that's an easy 20 miles. It was way fun. It's way less fun when those sorts of waves are on the nose - tough on both people and equipment.
Old 01-01-2013

The tow vehicle won't be a problem, I've got a diesel F250. Yeah, when we got caught out like that the first thing we did was bring down the head sail, we were fortunate that the wind was blowing back towards the marina and not away at the time. We should have kept the mainsail up for a while longer and it likely wouldn't have been so bad motoring back. We did end up getting blown a bit past the entrance to the marina and had to motor into the wind a bit, now THAT wasn't fun! I will definitely ask about the ballast if I am looking at a converted inboard boat. Thanks!

Brandon
Old 01-01-2013

Gary M is on a distinguished road

The 7.9 will definitely surf well off the wind and I suspect you can get them to plane up wind under the right conditions. I have an S2 9.1 which has a fixed keel and if I do not have too much weight on the boat, say only three crew it will pick up and plane on a close reach, really fun when it does that.

It will easily surf for several minutes off the wind even in flat water, although it takes winds in the mid twenties to do that. The 7.9 has a similar hull shape so it should as well. There is a 7.9 locally here that is for sale. I will try to find the details and PM you. Has a trailer so easy to get home.

Gary
Old 01-03-2013

Alright, another question regarding the 7.9. What size of outboard is adequate? One of the boats I'm considering has a 5 hp and the other has a 9.8 hp. Is the 5 hp enough, or even if I ended up with that boat, should I consider selling the 5 hp and looking for a 9.8/9.9? I realize that the 5 hp is lighter and thus better suited to the "racing" aspect of the boat, but I'll likely be doing more "cruising" than racing, so the 9.8 appeals to me.. Both engines appear to be of about the same vintage (~5 years old), so that isn't a concern.
Old 01-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Harbour sailing/daysailing in and out of marina.... 5 hp is lots.

Weekending/cruising/busting against headwinds/current on a schedule? 15 - er - 9.8 hp

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-03-2013

9.8/9.9 is the largest I could go if I want to be able to use it on the lake that is close to work, as it has a 10 hp engine limit. Yeah, our current boat displaces 1220 lbs and has a really old 3 hp 2-stroke...and it isn't really adequate for "larger water" as we found out in the adventure detailed above...but...it also has a tiny 2 blade propeller and isn't a long shaft, so that 3 hp is very far from efficiently used in the water. I'm guessing that a 5 hp with a 4 blade prop and long shaft would be quite a bit better than that even on a 4500 lb boat. Well, anyway, the engine size won't be what sways my decision one way or the other anyway, it'll be the condition of the hull, sails, and other gear along with the price..just want to get a feel for what people feel would be adequate and whether I should factor in needing to buy a larger engine into the equation when looking at these boats.
Old 01-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
9.8/9.9 is the largest I could go if I want to be able to use it on the lake that is close to work, as it has a 10 hp engine limit. Yeah, our current boat displaces 1220 lbs and has a really old 3 hp 2-stroke...and it isn't really adequate for "larger water" as we found out in the adventure detailed above...but...it also has a tiny 2 blade propeller and isn't a long shaft, so that 3 hp is very far from efficiently used in the water. I'm guessing that a 5 hp with a 4 blade prop and long shaft would be quite a bit better than that even on a 4500 lb boat. Well, anyway, the engine size won't be what sways my decision one way or the other anyway, it'll be the condition of the hull, sails, and other gear along with the price..just want to get a feel for what people feel would be adequate and whether I should factor in needing to buy a larger engine into the equation when looking at these boats.
Keep in mind that you can sell the 5 if you find it is not enough and find an used 2 stroke 9.X.
Old 01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Keep in mind that you can sell the 5 if you find it is not enough and find an used 2 stroke 9.X.
Yep, exactly what I'm thinking because at least right now (having not physically visited either boat yet, just from pictures, equipment lists, etc.) I'm leaning towards the one with the 5 hp.
Old 01-03-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

Rhys - you ask good questions.
I have a Nissan 4-stroke 6 hp EXTRA long shaft on my 7.9. Weighs 65 pounds and does the job. I've motored almost all the way across Lake Erie with it - a good twenty five miles - at five knots boat speed, half throttle, no problem. That is in very light (or no) air. The 6 hp does not use much fuel. I only have a 2.5 gallon gas tank which is plenty.
If it's blowing, you won't be motoring. And you really need the EXTRA long shaft (25 inches, I think) for the few times that you are caught out in big wind and waves - a shorter shaft motor will cavitate like crazy as the prop pops up out of the waves. No outboard (including a 9 hp) is going to work very well directly into good-sized waves and wind.