Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: S2 7.9

ajoliver- Hey, I try! I prefer to ask intelligent questions, not ones I can have answered with a quick Google search anyway. Believe me, I know all about cavitating, that little 3 hp on our Renkin did it like crazy every time we went over a wave! Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. I must say that my ideal 7.9 would have the inboard Yanmar diesel, but I've heard enough about the BMW diesel at this point that I'm considering it more of a detriment than an advantage!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2013

Question for those that have/had a 7.9 or know about them. On an inboard converted to outboard, does it matter which side of the rudder the outboard is mounted (port or starboard)? Also, am I correct to assume that the "original" outboards have better resale value than the ones converted from inboard?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Yep, exactly what I'm thinking because at least right now (having not physically visited either boat yet, just from pictures, equipment lists, etc.) I'm leaning towards the one with the 5 hp.

If I may...

My Morgan 22 has a Nissan 5hp. As has already been mentioned- in the bay on flat water and no headwind it is fine. However, it will not get my boat to hull speed. I go much faster under sail than I do on the outboard. Heading into wind and waves, there are times when I'm not going much of anywhere. When I am returning from offshore to my marina, there is a channel I have to travel and then a drawbridge I have to wait for. The sails have to come down when I get to the channel, so there is a fair bit of motoring. At the end of the day I am part of a parade of boats heading for home. Since I can't run hull speed, I have to get out of the way a lot because I'm holding up traffic putting along. Other sailboats are cruising 5 knots on the motor and I'm doing 2-1/2 if there's a headwind.

I don't know about anyone else, but I swear on all that is Holy that wherever I need to go there is a headwind.
Old 01-08-2013

sailr69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
I'v sailed 7.9s and raced against them for years. They perform very well in waves and chop. The boat has a big main, you can actually sail sans jib when wind is over 20 quite nicely.

The down side is that the boat can be a little under ballasted. Small jib full main combo to about 20 knots works. Surfing with board up downwind in 15-25 is a blast. For my money it is about the fastest trailerable out there for reasonable money (ok the Presto 30 is faster but add another 80K).

The carpeted headliner is a minus. They tend to get moldy and are a pain to remove. The glue used seems to bond rather well to the fiberglass. Another area to look out for is the rudder attachment. Most have been reinforced and/or retrofitted with stainless plates. They also have an inboard model. The BMW diesel tends to be problematical with age and expensive to maintain. Some of these inboards have been retrofitted with 1 cyl Yanmars which is a more reasonable solution. The inboard is preferable in bigger waves and chop as it does not come out of the water like an outboard prop.

It is not exactly a ling distance cruiser but it is a fun boat to sail. You can trailer it to where you want to go and happily live/sail on it for a week with little problem. I wouldn't be afraid to be out in a blow with one but for the big stuff you need some heft which translates into a boat that would not be trailerable. Some owners have told me that the boats with hull number 400 or higher are the ones to look at.
hold on there mate, laughing sally, a 7.9 from cedar island yacht club was racing on the detroit river with board up and spinnaker up in maybe 15-20 knots. boat capsized, went under and was never seen again. all the crew was fine. not much of a blast there.
Old 01-08-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Racers often push their boats to the limit, and with small boats under spinnaker, the limits can include sinking them. For example, a fairly common occurrence with racing J24s.

I do think the fact that risky sailing can sink the boat does not conflict with the well-stated advice regarding their desirability and usefulness for the OP. Remember he wants a trailerable boat, and pretty much anything trailerable, probably is sinkable. The 6.9 offers the OP the best of that class, but it is still a member of the class, unless you chase one of the keel versions, which becomes not trailerable.

Sailing like life is full of tradeoffs.
Old 01-08-2013

Gary M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
hold on there mate, laughing sally, a 7.9 from cedar island yacht club was racing on the detroit river with board up and spinnaker up in maybe 15-20 knots. boat capsized, went under and was never seen again. all the crew was fine. not much of a blast there.
They found the rudder, belonged to a friend of mine. Key words are they had the board up and the hatch open.
Another friend did the same thing with a Paceship 23. You can sink them if you try hard enough.
Old 01-08-2013

I'm not particularly concerned about that, as has been said: any boat can sink! We'll be sure to have the hatch boards in if we are running under spinnaker, have the board up, or are in rough seas. Anyone have any insight into my last question concerning the mounting location for an outboard?
Old 01-08-2013

Gary M is on a distinguished road

I think that basically all outboards are mounted on the Port side of the transom, maybe because most Sailors are right handed ?

I would stay with convention,
Old 01-08-2013

Yeah, that's kind of the impression I've got too, most of the pictures of 7.9s (and other sailboats with outboards) have it on the port side, but the one I'm contemplating currently has it mounted on the starboard side. Do you (or anyone..) think that this is something I should be concerned about? Perhaps there is more weight on the starboard side due to the head and battery being on that side, and so the engine should ideally be on the port side to counterbalance it? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013

Oh, and should I be concerned about spiderweb cracking like this in the deck?

Attached Thumbnails
S2 7.9-s2_79_17.jpg