Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004

hrmacdonald2000 is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

I am interested in buying a coastal cruising sailboat in the 30-34 ft range. My intentions are exactly what the term "coastal" refers to. I also hope to sail across the Cabot Straight, from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia to NFLD (90 miles of open water).
My question(s); When does coastal cruising stop and bluewater sailing begin. Is a coastal cruiser such as the Oday 34 or Pearson 323 suited to an open water sail such as this, or maybe even farther,for example, southern Iceland.
Thanks, Aspy...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

Folks have crossed all of the world''s oceans in "coastal cruisers", some smaller than the 30'' to 34'' range you mentioned. Some have even circum-navigated the globe in them.

If you try your best to avoid bad weather, and have gained enough practical sailing experience, you shouldn''t have a problem sailing beyond the sight-of-land (which is an arbitrary definition of a Blue-water sailor).

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 04-09-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

Here''s one set of standards there are others:
International Marine Certification
Institute Recreational Craft
Directive 94/35/CE
Boat design categories as defined by Institute Recreational Craft:

Design Category A - "Ocean"
Beaufort Scale,(knots)exceeding 8 (over 40 kts.)
Significant Wave Height in meters (feet)
exceeding 4 (over 13 ft.)
Design Category B - "Offshore"
Beaufort Scale,(knots)up to and including 8 (34-40 kts.)
up to and including 4 (13 ft.)
Design Category C - "Inshore"
Beaufort Scale,(knots)up to and including 6 (22-27 kts.)
up to and including 2 (6.5 ft.)
Design Category D - "Sheltered waters"
Beaufort Scale,(knots)up to and including 4 (11-16 kts.)
up to and including 0.5 (1.5 ft.)

A. OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 meters and above, and vessels largely self-sufficient.
B. OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 meters may be experienced.
C. INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes, rivers and canals where conditions up to, and including wind force 6 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights up to, and including 2 meters may be experienced.
D. SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on small lakes, rivers and canals where conditions up to, and including wind force 4 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights up to, and including 0.5 meters may be experienced.
Old 04-09-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

:-)

I can hear the collective groan..."If it says the boat is listed as Cat A, then...."
Old 04-09-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

The boats you mentioned were built before the RCD came into effect and, in any event, are American built while the RCD is an EU invention...so I''m not sure the RCD classification will help you (nor should you rely on it, which is indeed a different subject...).

There''s a big difference between planning a 90 mile open water passage, which allows you to seek wx f''cast data before leaving and transit during such a short period that the wx f''cast and the existing conditions will change little, and voyaging offshore for a period long enough that no accurate wx f''cast data is available, which essentially means you''ll need to be prepared to take on ALL of the possible weather conditions present in that area at that time of year. For the latitude you are speaking about, that is of course a huge range of conditions.

The Oday 34 and Pearson 323 are good examples of coastal cruising boats. To get across the next 1400 NM to Reykjavik will put you into a totally different caliber boat, and into multiple boat systems that exceed those found on coastal cruisers.

Jack
Old 04-09-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

Just put that out as example while trying to ignore groans & pain of those who''ve pondered this definition for a while. Won''t even start on what boats they class as what and how appropriate it is.
Old 04-13-2004

tmercer is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

Good luck on the trip to NL, best to go late July, early August, June tends to be windier, foggier. I am surveying boat in Rhode Island this week and was considering sailing her home to Marystown, NL but managed to get a "piggy back" deal on another boat delivery. Now I''m just crossing my fingers she passes survey. Contact me at tony.mercer@amkc.ca if you have any Q''s about NL.

T
Old 05-05-2004

sheppard is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

Hi
I am an Australian citizen and am currently looking at the possibility of coming to the US buying a yacht and sailing it accross the pacific to Australia. Does anyone have experience with such a venture as far as satisfying the US authorities on purchase and leaving the country with my purchase?

Thanks Michael
Old 05-07-2004

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Coastal or Bluewater...

I think the bigger issue is satisfying the authorities you''ll encounter along the way and then when you get home. Don''t sail the boat in US waters without proper documentation papers / registration. This has nothing to do with being or not being a US citizen. Proper ships papers are an international requirement everywhere in the world. Not having them could land you in jail and your vessel confiscated.

I would work this problem backwards and start with where your home port is to be.

If you are to make the boat a US documented vessel and it already is one (many in the size you might buy can be) then it''s a simple transfer fee and paperwork. You''ll then have US papers good any place you might go. Your country will have it''s own rules.
Old 03-05-2013

ntolst is on a distinguished road
Re: Coastal or Bluewater...

"If you are to make the boat a US documented vessel and it already is one (many in the size you might buy can be) then it''s a simple transfer fee and paperwork. You''ll then have US papers good any place you might go. Your country will have it''s own rules.[/QUOTE]"

One problem is that only US citizen can be the owner of documented vessel.
You will have to find out exactly what kind of documents would be required for Australlian authorities to register vessel. You will also have to pay some hefty import taxes if the boat you purchased is not made in US (or Canada?).