Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I tried to visit her on Saturday, but she's out for repairs and couldn't be seen. I have a strong preference for a wheel, and that particular Islander is tiller-steered. I could look at outfitting her with a transom-mounted wheel, but need to factor that into the cost compared to other boats that are available.

In my mind, at least, the trip up the Chesse and through the canal would be a lot of fun. Tiring, but fun, so I've been sure to include MD and parts of VA in my searches.

Thanks for pointing her out, by the way! If you see anything else, the suggestions are welcome!
We goi to the LI Sound and New England every summer from the Chesapeake.
The stop on the thrid night is Barnegat Lighthouse. One day to Reedy Island on the Delaware, One day to Cape May, One day to Banegat.

Easy trip mostly motoring ( Delaware with the tide only)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Jim,

I currently sail an I-28. I did not choose it, it just landed in my lap. I was in the market for a small coastal cruiser to introduce my wife to sailing and the coast of Maine. I have been sailing here on various boats since the 80's. Mine has a 5' draft.

This boat is the most well balanced boat I have had the pleasure to sail. My novice wife was comfortable at the helm on our first outing (10 knots +_ with spray on deck when beating with a 130 jib). She is the helms woman and I am the trimmer now. It is responsive and predictable. It is safe because of that. Jibing is a non event. I sail it solo with hank on head sails. I added a jib down haul for my comfort and convenience. Bob Perry got it right. It is well made of quality materials, too. It is not as roomy as some of the other boats in its class. The hull is designed to sail first, not sleep a crowd in spacious comfort but there is plenty of room for our coastal outings. Its flare continues to the rail. Looks and acts like a sailboat not a wind powered camper.

I don't have experience with the other boats you are considering but I do like the I-28.

Down
Old 01-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Down, thanks for the feedback. Its comments like yours that have helped keep the I28 on my list despite having other boats that would better combat 2-foot-itis. I am anxious to see the I28. She seems to be the most turn-key of the boats so far, which would be nice after spending almost every weekend from January through May of 2012 rehabbing our C25. If the cockpit and cabin are comfortable enough and the engine seems reliable enough, it just might seduce me away from some of the 30's at which I am looking.

Chef, you'll have to let me know when you're doing your migration, perhaps we can meet in Cape May or near Barnegat for dinner. With all the advice, I think I owe you at least that much!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ha.....I like that term migration

No charge for the commradiery. Its important to give back.

Will be sometime soon after August 15 when we start our journey northward. We genrally take a slip at Utsches in Cape May for one night going up and 2 nights when we return as my wife and I love Cape May ( I lived in Ocean City for 18 years when I worked in the cainos in AC). Barnegat is an anchored night but we could come in and pick you up on the dinghy from LBI near a street end or dock near the lighthouse.

BTW there are a number of SN sailors on Barnegat Bay on here. JimMcGee, Sabreman, Chip ( fogot his monniker ehere) it may be Grt and others who are nice people. They may be able to help you also if thats where you intend on sailing. There are others.

Where are you located in Philly burbs, I grew up in Bryn Mawr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Down, thanks for the feedback. Its comments like yours that have helped keep the I28 on my list despite having other boats that would better combat 2-foot-itis. I am anxious to see the I28. She seems to be the most turn-key of the boats so far, which would be nice after spending almost every weekend from January through May of 2012 rehabbing our C25. If the cockpit and cabin are comfortable enough and the engine seems reliable enough, it just might seduce me away from some of the 30's at which I am looking.

Chef, you'll have to let me know when you're doing your migration, perhaps we can meet in Cape May or near Barnegat for dinner. With all the advice, I think I owe you at least that much!

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-14-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Good luck with your search. What a nice surprise as I got to know this boat. The PO "gave" it to me because it needed work and he had no means to deal with it. I replaced the seized A-4 and added some electronics including radar. The I-28 was not a boat I was familiar with but it would "do" for a couple of years as I introduced the Admiral to sailing. That was 5 years ago and we will keep it. It is capable in heavy weather, too. We take it out to play in the waves from time to time. Hull speed is easily achieved and it surfs comfortably. I have not upgraded the sails yet. I think the original owner raced it out of Boston as "Hurrah". New sails are next. that will be interesting!

Down
Old 01-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Down, who knows, maybe we'll be able to discuss the finer points of the I28 (and cause Dave to reminisce about his old boat)!

Dave, I'm over near Lansdale. And, I have a dinghy with an engine, just no sailboat to carry it! Well, I do have a 15' Albacore, but the 9' dinghy would look kind of silly on the foredeck. I tell everyone that I have a small powerboat and a small sailboat - what do they know? []
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-14-2013

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

You were in Galena? Should have said hi! Bohemia River Marina had a bunch of boats for a song, or $250 plus others, and any and all between. Stop at every Marina, but if you make it to Georgetown again, say hi!
Old 01-14-2013

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

Sorry , meant to add to the original question. I'm a dad with two small kids as well (4 +1) Making sure its singlehandable, ie roller fuel, self tailing, autopilot. Adding those things could easily cost more than the entire vessel in this market.
Old 01-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I was actually IN Georgetown, at the Georgetown Yacht Basin (or whatever the proper name is for that place). Very pretty! I met a nice guy working on a Hunter 31 while we were there. If I find myself back there, I'll have to look for your Centaur. I've seen a few from afar, but have always wanted to see one up close!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

We had a Catalina 25 for a single season, but started to get a feel for what I want in a boat. Roller furling is high on my list, though a wheel is actually tops for me. I hit my youngest (age 4) in the head a few times with the tiller because he didn't move when I told him to, and I NEEDED to move the tiller. Needless to say, that doesn't make for a fun time for anyone. Plus, I think a wheel will open up the cockpit when underway. We didn't spend a lot of time entertaining at the dock (short attention span for the kids), so being comfortable underway is my big priority. The wheel, and good visibility forward for people under 4' will go a long way toward making the entire experience more enjoyable for everyone.

An autopilot would be great, but even the ability to lock the wheel and walk away would be good. I had a tiller tamer, but could never get it to work properly; the rope always seemed to slip at just the wrong moment.

Roller furling is a big plus - our old boat had it, and I still have the furler, though I'm not sure it's really meant for a 28-30' boat (it was called a "Roller-Ful" or something like that, and just used a wire luff). One of the boats has a self-tending jib. I'm not sure how I feel about that; I may be swapping it for a furler at some point! Self tailing winches would be nice, too, but I haven't had 'em, so I "don't know what I'm missing".

Thanks for the suggestions!
1975 Albacore 15