Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

I, like Alex, prefer to steer from one side or another as a rule... But still it would be a major PITA to be clipping the back stay every time you crossed over behind the wheel. The problem with splitting the back stay is you'll likely create two such points instead of one.

In our last search we looked at an older Pearson with the binnacle forward - thought it odd; it interfered with companionway access. Bit too much, being right up against the bridge deck. The only advantage I could see is shelter behind/under a good dodger. Sight lines suffered a bit too, I thought.

Keep looking... Your boat is out there!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Alex,
Yep, the boat was a 1978 Pearson 30, so she's from before the 303 came out. The wheel may have been aftermarket, I'm not certain and I don't think the seller would know, either.

The Cape Dory's cockpit was, if my memory serves me correctly, the smallest of the four boats I visited. It might work OK for the four of us, but any more will be a problem.

Faster, your comment about not giving up is very timely. I'm just about at the end of my search. I have a few more boats to look at, then I think I may give up. The local brokers all say sales are picking up, which means I'll have a lot of competition this season, and my pockets aren't as deep as many of the other buyers. Plus, the marinas I've talked to on the bay have said that they are getting busier, in part because some of the other marinas were hit bad and haven't recovered yet (and may not recover in time for the start of the season). So, if I wait too much longer (I still have another month or so, in my estimation), I'll be facing increasing competition on the buying side, plus I may wind up with a boat and no place to keep her! But I do appreciate the sentiment, and there are a few boats still to look at.

KWaltersMI - I like your blog! And thank you for the comment. I wonder some times whether I'm giving TMI. I REALLY appreciate Alex, Chef, Faster, et. al., taking the time to provide feedback, but some times I think I'm just wasting their time with my random observations and questions. It's nice to know that my search, and comments, might actually be helpful for others!

For what it's worth, here's my "short list" of boats that seem to fit my needs:

S2 9.2C
Catalina 30
Allmand 31
Hunter 28.5
Pearson 28 (cockpit was a bit tight, but not bad)
Islander 28 with wheel steering (the transom-mounted wheel was really great on the one I saw)

I have been aboard all of those, and they all could work for me. I'm curious to see the Hunter 34/35, Endeavour 32, Pearson 323, and S2 9.2A. The O'Day 30's look like they might work, too, but the cockpit seems like it might be on the small side. As of now, I'm scheduled to see the Pearson 323, Hunter 34/35 (I'm not 100% sure which it is), and S2 this weekend, though my last conversation with the brokers suggested that there might be an issue.

I still really like the Catalina 30 and the Allmand 31. For a family cruiser, they seem tough to beat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I took the liberty of doing a quick regional YW search with a $12K max - nothing over 30 feet, but 16 candidates popped up.

1975 (Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

A few C30s, of course, and a Newport 30 that's arguably as roomy and possibly a bit quicker. The other interesting boat on this list is the Aloha 8.5.. take a look...

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Faster, you rock! Thank you very much for thinking of me.

I have a whole little routine at night where, once my kids are tucked into bed, I scour the 'net. I search Yachtworld for all the latest postings, BoatTrader, SailboatListings, BoatsFSBO, Craigslist (from Eastern CT to Norfolk, VA), and a few others. There are a few boats in the search results in your link that don't have wheels. Of the remainders, the ones in Erie and Union Hall will be cost prohibitive to transport. Deltaville and Lottsburg are pretty far, as is Norfolk, to drive only to be disappointed by a boat. Not that I'm ruling it out, mind you (my Craigslist search includes that area). The logistics of sailing a boat home from there could be tough, too (it's about 5-6 hours by car). I've either been aboard the boat (in the case of the Islander 28), tried to get aboard (in the case of the I30), or been in contact with (and my "budget" offer rejected by) all of those sellers.

Of the boats in Deltaville/Lottsburg, I really don't know that much about the Newport or the Aloha. If I wind up having to go that far, what do you think of those boats?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2013
Just another Moderator

The Newport is a Gary Mull design that probably goes quite well, they seem roomy boats for their size. I'd expect quality to be on par with Ranger and most of the other Calif. boats for that era.

The Aloha is a very rugged Ted Brewer design, more of a cruiser than the others.. but a solid boat that you could take just about anywhere, I'd think. Aloha's are well regarded certainly in Canada, they built a variety of boats, including two from Brewer (8.5/28 and a 34 footer), a Perry designed fractional 8.2/27, and a Holland-designed lightweight speedster the Aloha 30.

ALOHA 8.5 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

ALOHA 8.2 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

ALOHA 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

NEWPORT 30-2 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! If I get down that way, or if I exhaust the local boats, I'll have to check those out. At our current spot in life, we favor comfort over speed, but if the Newport is a solid, fairly comfy boat, the extra speed would be nice. That's what helps keep the S2 9.2A's in the mix (plus the decent build quality).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-28-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I keep coming back hoping you've see the Hunter 34/35!

They are excellent coastal cruising boats, and in my opinion very easy to handle.
Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I asked the Hunter's broker for an update on that boat, and haven't heard back from her. She has been very responsive in the past, so I'm taking the silence as a bad sign. My guess is that the boat is available, but not at a price that will fit my budget and she's not sure how to tell me that.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have also found its advantagous to make a list of the sailboat brokers in the areas and look at their listing directly. Many boats dont make it onto Yachtworld

For istance if you Goodle sail brokers in Rock Hall
You get, Salt Box, Gratitutde, Rouge Yacht and Sailing Emporium
If you Googled Annapolis youd get
Martin bird, Annapolis yacht sales, Integrity Yacht Sales, North Point Yacht Sails, Crudaser Yacht sales. and more

They sometimes have the listing on the sites a few dats before the larger ones do.

Just saying

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks for the suggestion! My wife may not be happy with you - now I'll have MORE searching!

Many of the brokerages I saw seemed to use Yachtworld, BoatTrader, or SailboatListings. But you're right, I've hit a few that used SaltyDog or other services, and some keep lists on their web site without using any commercial services.
1975 Albacore 15