LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Okay, I have to share this listing. I'm still not exactly sure what it's for:
Seafarer 37 great ol hippy boat
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I got in touch with the broker for the Hunter 34/35 last night. She said that there is an issue with the engine, and the owners want that fixed before they re-list it. She's not sure how long the repairs will take, so if I go there this weekend, there's a strong chance that I won't be able to see the Hunter.

Back in November/December, I found an Allmand for sale and REALLY liked that boat. My family and I are cruisers, not racers, and that boat was one of the most comfortable "feeling" boats I had been on. Lots of beam, and enough length to spread out. I know they aren't good sailing to weather, and aren't exactly "high performance" boats, but for our purposes, that boat seemed like a good fit. Unfortunately, the boat needed work and when I itemized the repair costs and subtracted them from the NADA value, the discounted cost of the boat was significantly less than the owner was willing to take (which explains why the boat is still on the market). Over this past weekend, as I was looking at other boats, I found another Allmand and the owner didn't run screaming when I mentioned my budget, but did say it required some additional thought. So, I'm waiting to hear whether that boat is available. It is south of me, and many of the other boats are to my north, which puts me in a holding pattern as far as plans for this weekend. I have asked the Allmand owner for a decision ASAP, so I can make my plans. Either I'll be seeing the Allmand this weekend (and possibly a few others in that area) or heading out to see a Pearson 323, S2 9.2A, Endeavour 32, and possibly an Irwin 30.

Stay tuned...
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2013

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

What about a Beneteau 285 we went out with 2 kids 3 weeks at a time. She was a nice boat very shoal I think 3' 11" draft. Very quick a nice sailer double aft and foward cabins. Lots of room down below 9'9" beam 28 feet over all with a 24'3" water line. We had a 1992 and loved her. Never a problem from day one you might also want to check out the Beneteau 30.5 just a little more boat. I have found the Beneteau line quite a goood value for what you get. Also check out the C&C 30 1988 also a double aft very nice boat. While I am at it check out the CS30 another Canadian built boat good quality.
Old 01-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Marcel,
Thanks, for the suggestions. I think the Bene's are both going to be out of my range. I haven't seen any, except ones that were damaged by a storm and more of a project than I want to handle.

I've seen a few C&C's, and one Canadian Sailcraft, but both are few and far between. When the C&C's filter down into my price range, most are pretty beaten up. But I'll certainly keep looking for them!

I heard from the Allmand owner, and they are willing to let the boat go in my price range, so I'll be making the trip to see her this weekend.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-01-2013

lyre is on a distinguished road
For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Jimgo,
We have owned and sailed our 1984 I-28 for about 7 years. I spend about 1/2 the season single handing and the other cruising for up to a week at a time with my wife and 4year old. I'm biased, but think its an excellent boat all around. The PO loved it as well-so much that he not only invested multiples of its market value in upgrade s and maintenance, but they insisted on interviewing my wife and I before the sale (to make sure she would be cared for. Our little I-28 was featured in Robert Perry's more recent book. (Thanks Bob!)
If you are still interested in the I28, pls send me a PM. I can in turn send pics etc. we are considering moving onto a larger boat.
Good luck with your search!
Old 02-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Lyre, that is a BEAUTIFUL boat, and she's very tempting! However, I've decided that I really want/need a wheel as my method of steering. Otherwise, i think I'd jump at the chance to own her.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I visited the Allmand today. The exterior was in great shape, at least for my budget. The interior needs work. Not a lot, but work. I think it will be sailable this season with a few weekends' worth of work, and then next winter I'll be able to do more. I've asked a local surveyor to do a quick walk-through, which he's doing on Monday. If that goes well (and I suspect it will), my family and I will sit down and discuss everything, then decide whether to go forward with a formal survey, or to find another boat.

I took lots of pictures of the outside, shot a video of myself entering the cabin and what that looked like, then either I didn't take pictures (could have sworn I took some!) or I screwed something up, but I don't have ANY shots of the interior. VERY frustrating!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-04-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Of course the Islander is the better boat. The designer is a good friend of mine. Handsome too. But the Cat will be a far bigger boat below. So you need to decide what your priorities are. If you want good looks and stellar performance to with the Islander. If you want volume then the Cat 30 is the boat for you.
groggy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Bob,
I'm flattered that you would take the time to reply! The designer of the Islander 28 did a fantastic job. When my wife saw it, she was smitten! I only wish the boat was in better shape (i.e., not sinking). The performance is what keeps me coming back to the Islanders, but they are hard to find in my price range. Again, the designer did too good of a job, and they are holding their value too well (plus people just don't want to sell 'em). I'm sure the owners are all very appreciative of this, but for us "low budget" buyers, it's a real problem!

My wife isn't a huge fan of boating, so I'm leaning more toward the comfort side than the performance side of the spectrum. I've stumbled onto an Allmand 31 that seems to be a diamond in the rough. I have a surveyor doing a walk-through today to see if there's anything major that is wrong with her. If not, I'll probably get him to do a formal survey in the next few days. I know she isn't going to win any races, but given the steady breezes at the NJ shore in the summers, I hope she'll be good enough for us to enjoy.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-04-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Jim:
I can't say I'm a fan of the Allmand. But I don't know it well.
The I-28 may be a bit lively for your wife.
Best of luck.
jimgo likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site