LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jim:
I can't say I'm a fan of the Allmand. But I don't know it well.
The I-28 may be a bit lively for your wife.
Best of luck.
My first keelboat was an Island 28...Island Majic..very few on the East Coast at the time so noone knew what it was.

Even though we love our C&C 35MKIII that 28 Islander had so much character and looks and sailed so well it will always remain special

You always remember " your first"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

The surveyor finally got a chance to do a walk-through today. He saw a few places where water had leaked in and damaged some ornamental wood, noted that some of the hoses (fresh water supply for sinks, etc.) would probably need to be replaced, said the wiring in the engine compartment needed to be cleaned up (a few places where wires weren't properly capped/soldered/etc.), and that there was some moisture in the deck near the chainplates, but no soft spots that he detected. He also said she has probably one of the biggest collection of junk in the cabin that he has ever seen, but otherwise she seems to be in good shape. So, I'll be scheduling a formal survey for a few weeks from now, and unless that turns up something really horrible (which is certainly a possibility), I think we're going to go forward with the Allmand.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

Pictures?

Is the boats named Patience?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

LOL...no.
She's the one listed on YachtWorld: 1980 Allmand 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

After all my complaining about not really wanting to go all the way to Norfolk, the opportunity presented itself (okay, I contacted the broker and asked, but still...), and I thought it was too good to pass up. So I drove down there last Friday night, then saw that boat and 2 others while I was there.

I've been pretty anal about taking pictures of all the boats, mostly so I remember what's wrong with them when I get home. I have some nice pictures of a Hunter 30 and the Newport 30 mentioned earlier in this thread. When I got aboard the Allmand, I took lots of pictures of the deck, cockpit, etc. I opened up the cabin to go below, and thought "hmmmm...I should video this because it will give me a better sense of the layout." So, I shot the video, which was REALLY poorly done - apparently I need to move even slower than I did - and then somehow I basically put the camera/phone away and didn't take it out again until I was off the boat. I could have SWORN I took pictures of the cabin, but they aren't on my phone anywhere!

Any way, here are a few of the shots:

1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I don't want to post the video to Vimeo or YouTube, and Photobucket won't let me upload the video. So, unfortunately, I can't show you the cabin.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

The Allmand certainly looks pretty. As you mentioned it - if you do get a chance, have a look at the Pearson 323. If in good condition, they are surprisingly roomy, shallow draft, seakindly motion. I really like the I28, but the P323 feels a lot bigger. Both the I28 and P323 are solid, well-built boats. IMHO, for boats of "a certain age", all other things equal I find the build quality of the Pearson and Islander ages better than Hunter and Catalina. Sadly this is also generally reflected in the price! (Disclaimer: I have a P323, my buddy has an I28).

The bit of advice I would give you is don't put too much weight on the looks. Look at the essential (read expensive) systems - engine, rigging, sail wardrobe, deck and hull integrity etc. If you are like many of us, after you buy your boat you won't have a lot of cash left over, so apart from minor things you'll probably end up living with that deisel with 100K hours which sometimes starts - and that will soon sour the prettiest looks!
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Paul,
Excellent advice! That's basically the approach I've taken - I can make her pretty later, but she needs "good bones". The Allmand seems to have those.

I REALLY liked the looks of the Pearson 323, and the Endeavour 32's. I know they are different boats, but they have some similarities to me. They are also in a "sweet spot" as far as size goes - not too big, not too small for a family of 4. There was no way I could get the Pearson owner down to my price. I tried!

There's an Endeavour 32 on Barnegat Bay that someone wants to sell me. She's a little more than I want to spend, though, and she'll need some work. In the end, I think the Allmand is the better choice. I'll have some costs associated with moving her from Deltaville to NJ, but hopefully those will be less than the difference in price between the two boats. Plus, there are some other advantages to the Allmand that I won't have with the Endeavour.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Wishing you the best of luck with the Allmand. From the photos she definitely looks like a well-sized, well laid-out and attractive boat. "There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip' - I hope it goes through for you!
jimgo likes this.
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks. If the formal survey goes well, I'll just have to figure out how to get her "home" to our area!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks. If the formal survey goes well, I'll just have to figure out how to get her "home" to our area!
She looks great. Good choice. Cant wait to see what the inside looks like. If you need help bringing her north advertise here. Some of us may be able to help bring her up the Chessie and depending where you are going to keep here to your final destination.

If you stop evenings figure on a week home through the Chessie. If you go outside 2-3 days, but this time of year outside with a unknown boat could be difficult. Once you get her get unlimited Boat US towning.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.