Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

She also seems to have a lot of nice add on features too davits, bbq grill, nice safe side decks with double jib tracks, roller furling. Also shoal draft lat 4 ft fits your Barnegat Bay profile. 40 gallons fuel is good. Holding tank? Bimini and dodger.

She is showing a chartplotter with antanae is that right I see a radar also

Happy again you were able to find her. Anyway I can help l;et me know.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

She seemed to be I good shape, and as you said, she has a lot of nice "bells and whistles." The dodger and Bimini covera appear to be missing, but I didn't tear the entire boat apart (she isn't mine yet!). She appears to need touch-up paint (or maybe it is dock rash), and the cabin needs some serious cleaning, but otherwise she appears sound. I will know more in a few weeks when we do the sea trial and inspection/survey.

Thanks for all the help you've already given. I may be looking for crew; if I do, I'll be sure to ask in a new thread.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

Cool...I expect to meet up and raft up sometime in the future.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

The current plan is to move her over two 3-day weeknds. The broker said she can stay where she is for a few weeks after the closing while I wait for good weather, which is great. I'll probably shoot for getting to Solomons the first day, then Rock Hall, then up to Chesapeake City. Then I just need to find a transient slip up near Chesapeake City and hang out there. I'll probably grab a slip there for 2-3 weeks, just to play it safe, though I hope to be out the following weekend, if the tides permit. Then, if I'm able to get the tides right, I hope to make the jump through the canal and down the Delaware Bay in a day. I know it will be a LONG day, but... Overnight in Cape May, then up to Great Bay for a night, and then hopefully "home," wherever that is.

I've started narrowing down the list of places in Barnegat Bay, and I think I'm down to the Marina at Southwinds (Forked River) and Shore Point Marina (Bayville) with Shore Point currently having a bit of a lead. They took some damage from the hurricane, though, so they are still rebuilding and I want to get out there and get a tour. Southwinds says they didn't get any significant damage, but if I'm going to visit Shore Point, I may as well visit Southwinds and Silver Cloud.

I had hoped to at least meet people from Shore Point and Silver Cloud (still not entirely out of the running, but the most expensive of those still in contention) tomorrow at the boat show, but with the weather, I may not make it and I'm not sure that they will, either.

Both Shore Point and Southwinds said that they are starting to see an increase in activity as people rush to find slips because their old marina hasn't recovered from Sandy yet. I need to pull the trigger soon, but I don't want to put a deposit down without seeing the places.

On the bright side, if it turns out that they are sold out, then I'll just stay in the Chesapeake. Sailing Associates and Haven Harbor both seem like great options. HH didn't respond to my slip rental inquiry yet, but I think they were headed to AC for the boat show. Rock Hall would be an easy, 2-day trip from Deltaville, then I'm done.

Another option, once I price out the cost of any slips, is to have her hauled (by truck) from either Rock Hall or Chesapeake City over to the new marina. Being there would cut in half the number of miles as compared to Deltaville, plus the logistics seem to be much easier from there versus Deltaville. The boat has an 11' 4" beam, so that will complicate any trailering, but at least she would have to go over fewer bridges, and no tunnels, if we were in Chesapeake City. The boat has a deck-stepped mast, which makes things a bit easier, too. If I can't catch good weather within a week or two of my arrival up there, I might just take that approach. But I REALLY want to sail her from Deltaville to at least Rock Hall.

If nothing else, when I get in your kneck of the woods, I'd love to meet up.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-07-2013

As you plan your trip consider this. Figure on averaging 5 knots.

37 miles to Pautuxet River and Solomons
43 miles to Severn River and Annapolis
40 Miles to Sassafras and Sailing Associates

22 miles to Chesapeake City
62 miles to Cape May
35 miles to Atlantic City
32 milkes to Barnegat

Rock Hall is only 20 miles from Annapolis so if you get that far in two days its worth it to push further north to the Sassafras or even Chesapeake City

Chesapeake City is really not an ideal spot. Rock Hall/ Worton/ Sassafrass all have really good marinas with lift outs. You can stop in Chesapeake City overnight and get a wall dockage the time of year you are going which isnt too bad. Or you go through the Canal and anchor behind Reedy sland on the Delaware and take a shorter 45 miles trip to Cape May

You can easily make Cape May in one day motoring down the Delaware with the current. You will also fit under the bridge in the Cape May Canal so no problem there.

The Jersey Coast. Cape May, Absecon ( Atlantic City) Barnegat ( dangerous but doable) and Maesquan are the ONLY onlets I would attempt. Little Egg Harbor Inlet is major trecherous, especially to a sailboat. The shoals which are numerous shift daily and are marked by balls in the water the Coast gaurd moves continuously. I would not attempt this as an entrance to get to Great Bay. There is a winding intercoastal from Atlantic City to Barnegat Bay that is mostly for powerboaters, but is doable in a shoal sailboat like you have. There are a number of members on here that have taken it and could help you out with that. Barnegat is also a possibility and is not bad if you know where you are going and the wind is not out of the NE.

Cape May to Atlantic City is one day and 1 day more to Barnegat Bay either way you go.

When if you get to this stage let me know and I can help you plan. Also the cost of trucking it will be a lot more than bringing it yourself and the trip is not that daunting in a 31 ft boat.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! I was playing around with Active Captain and setting routes. I was trying to keep it to 50/60 NM/day.

If I grab a wall spot in Chesapeake City, is there a limit to how long I can stay? I looked at an S2 at a marina in Chesapeake City a few weeks ago. The marina was off the canal, but I had considered hanging out there for the few weeks. It would set me back maybe half an hour or so, so not really that bad, and if it gave me the ability to not have to worry about getting kicked out/set adrift, then I thought it might be a good solution.

I'm leaning heavily toward, assuming the weather is cooperative, jumping from Cape May to Atlantic City via the ocean, then coming in that inlet (looks wide and well dredged) and making the slog up the ICW to Great Bay. I'll probably grab a transient slip at Great Bay, in part because my wife and kids could easily meet me that evening (as opposed to being out on the island). If the weather is good, my boys could even stay with me that night, then we sail up to the marina the next day. It would be a long ride, but they might enjoy it.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-08-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on finding a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
If you stop evenings figure on a week home through the Chessie. If you go outside 2-3 days, but this time of year outside with a unknown boat could be difficult. Once you get her get unlimited Boat US towning.
+1 on TowBoat US.

I'd recommend against going outside. On the trip home problems will crop up. In the Bay you can always duck into a marina and deal with them. Once you go outside you're committed. We did this trip when we bought our boat, starting from Cutty Sark Marina in Little Creek. We lost the jib in a squall (UV rot at the head of the sail) and had some engine problems when sediment in the diesel tank got stirred up in the Delaware Bay.

I'd also figure on an average of four knots boat speed. We pushed it to try and do the trip in five days and ended up coming into marinas after dark every night which really upped the stress level. Being conservative in estimating your boat speed means you'll be tied up for cocktails when we were trying to spot unlighted day marks.

If you have the chance to do some day sails before the trip home I'd absolutely recommend it. It will help find and shake out any bugs.

You mentioned staying over at Chesapeake City between weekends. We did and you're very protected in there.

From Chesapeake City to Cape May keep an eye on the weather. Don't take the Delaware Bay lightly. Google Delaware Bay and Sailnet and you'll find some good advice for the trip and what to look for in the weather. Stay out of the shipping channel. The big boys move fast.

Chef is spot on about the inlets. Figure on slow going coming up the inside from AC into Great Bay. Bring Backwoods Off for that leg of the trip and a fly swatter for green heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I've started narrowing down the list of places in Barnegat Bay, and I think I'm down to the Marina at Southwinds (Forked River) and Shore Point Marina (Bayville) with Shore Point currently having a bit of a lead. They took some damage from the hurricane, though, so they are still rebuilding and I want to get out there and get a tour. Southwinds says they didn't get any significant damage, but if I'm going to visit Shore Point, I may as well visit Southwinds and Silver Cloud.
We're in Southwinds. They had some serious Sandy damage and they're in the process of repairing the docks, shorepower and restrooms now. The water level was about four feet in the West dock restrooms and condos. The first floor of the restaurant and office were also damaged. Southwinds isn't cheap but it's nice that you're close to the bay and walking distance to both the Beach Bar and Captain's Inn.

If they're talking to you about slips 42-48 on West Dock be aware that it's tricky getting in there with any kind of a cross wind because the power boats across from you all have bow anchors out into the fairway. Even the powerboat guys with twin engines have trouble with an east wind. We were originally in 44 and moved to the outside for that reason. You won't fit into any of the inner docks in the West side because the Allmand is an 11'4" beam and those are all 10' beam slips. You'll have an easier time on East Dock. You'll get boat wakes but they're not awful.

SilverCloud is definitely worth checking out. It's actually three marinas and you'll want to be in Tall Oaks, which is the sailors marina (and very friendly). Dave has an excellent service department. SilverCloud is also the place you want to be hauled out if another storm like Sandy comes in. And take a look at Ricks. It's a smaller less expensive marina between Southwinds and SilverCloud. I'm not familiar with Shore Point.

Quote:
Both Shore Point and Southwinds said that they are starting to see an increase in activity as people rush to find slips because their old marina hasn't recovered from Sandy yet. I need to pull the trigger soon, but I don't want to put a deposit down without seeing the places.
You really want to walk the docks at any marina before you commit, preferably in the spring when the boats start going in. I don't know how true it is that slips are selling out because of the storm. But early in the season I plan on being very careful out in the bay. I'm hearing there's a lot of debris out there and charts won't be accurate for a while.
Faster and chef2sail like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Congratulations on finding a boat!

+1 on TowBoat US.

I'd recommend against going outside. On the trip home problems will crop up. In the Bay you can always duck into a marina and deal with them. Once you go outside you're committed. We did this trip when we bought our boat, starting from Cutty Sark Marina in Little Creek. We lost the jib in a squall (UV rot at the head of the sail) and had some engine problems when sediment in the diesel tank got stirred up in the Delaware Bay.

I'd also figure on an average of four knots boat speed. We pushed it to try and do the trip in five days and ended up coming into marinas after dark every night which really upped the stress level. Being conservative in estimating your boat speed means you'll be tied up for cocktails when we were trying to spot unlighted day marks.

If you have the chance to do some day sails before the trip home I'd absolutely recommend it. It will help find and shake out any bugs.

You mentioned staying over at Chesapeake City between weekends. We did and you're very protected in there.

From Chesapeake City to Cape May keep an eye on the weather. Don't take the Delaware Bay lightly. Google Delaware Bay and Sailnet and you'll find some good advice for the trip and what to look for in the weather. Stay out of the shipping channel. The big boys move fast.

Chef is spot on about the inlets. Figure on slow going coming up the inside from AC into Great Bay. Bring Backwoods Off for that leg of the trip and a fly swatter for green heads.

We're in Southwinds. They had some serious Sandy damage and they're in the process of repairing the docks, shorepower and restrooms now. The water level was about four feet in the West dock restrooms and condos. The first floor of the restaurant and office were also damaged. Southwinds isn't cheap but it's nice that you're close to the bay and walking distance to both the Beach Bar and Captain's Inn.

If they're talking to you about slips 42-48 on West Dock be aware that it's tricky getting in there with any kind of a cross wind because the power boats across from you all have bow anchors out into the fairway. Even the powerboat guys with twin engines have trouble with an east wind. We were originally in 44 and moved to the outside for that reason. You won't fit into any of the inner docks in the West side because the Allmand is an 11'4" beam and those are all 10' beam slips. You'll have an easier time on East Dock. You'll get boat wakes but they're not awful.

SilverCloud is definitely worth checking out. It's actually three marinas and you'll want to be in Tall Oaks, which is the sailors marina (and very friendly). Dave has an excellent service department. SilverCloud is also the place you want to be hauled out if another storm like Sandy comes in. And take a look at Ricks. It's a smaller less expensive marina between Southwinds and SilverCloud. I'm not familiar with Shore Point.

You really want to walk the docks at any marina before you commit, preferably in the spring when the boats start going in. I don't know how true it is that slips are selling out because of the storm. But early in the season I plan on being very careful out in the bay. I'm hearing there's a lot of debris out there and charts won't be accurate for a while.
Great advice Jim. I second Dave at Silver Cloud. They are a class act. We lost our water muffler and they helped repair it. Great people and very fair.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. How is Southwinds for kids? We're more "laid back" and quiet, and I was concerned that Silver Cloud, etc., would be too intense for us. Southwinds seemed quieter.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-08-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. How is Southwinds for kids? We're more "laid back" and quiet, and I was concerned that Silver Cloud, etc., would be too intense for us. Southwinds seemed quieter.
Southwinds is definitely laid back. But with kids I guess the answer is "it depends".

There's a couple on our dock with a two very young kids (boy & girl, maybe first grade), but there's not much for kids to do off the boat. They spend most of their time over at Tices Shoal with the kids during the day. If you don't already know Tices is a big raft up area (Google Tices Shoal).

They're the only kids on our side of the marina most weekends other than a few occasional teenagers. I don't recall seeing any kids over on East Dock. I've heard a lot of boats with kids left three seasons ago when Southwinds took out the pool to expand the restaurant. They've been promising a new pool "next year" since '09. But they've said money is tight. So between that and Sandy repairs I wouldn't expect a pool this summer.

Silver Cloud is three marinas with three personalities (click here for marina map). Wilbert's is adjacent to the owner's home; I've heard it's very quiet and only has a few slips. Silver Cloud is mostly power boats and has more of a party atmosphere. Tall Oaks is mostly sailboats and like Southwinds is pretty laid back. BBQ's on the dock are common and everyone is friendly. I haven't seen a lot of kids there but Silver Cloud does have a pool and I think more kids. If you don't mind a little bit of a walk you could get a quiet slip at Tall Oaks and walk the kids over to the pool. Lagoon slips (A & D docks) are protected from boat wakes and the fairway is huge so getting in and out is easy.

Tall Oaks also has a laid back yacht club with a mixture of racing and social members. TOYC.org.

You have two dock & dine locations on Forked River at Southwinds and the Captains Inn. Both are good places to sit by the water and people watch during the day. At night Captains is rockin', Southwinds is more laid back. Both have to shut down music at 10PM due to local ordinance.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White