Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

Thanks again, Jim! Actually one of the things keeping Southwinds in the picture was their pool, so it's interesting to hear that it won't be available. That helps winnow things down even more.

If we're in Barnegat Bay , I think it's now down to Tall Oaks/Silver Cloud, Shore Point, or, if we want to abandon the idea of a pool, Laurel Harbor.

Have you been up to Shore Point in Bayville? I like the idea of being there because, if the winds aren't right for sailing on the bay, I can always come in and sail the river which is fairly wide in that stretch. It's a quick hop out into the river from the marina, and then a 15-20 minute sail to the bay, which sounds good on paper. I do worry that it's a little unprotected depending on the winds, but it seems like it would be better than our last marina which looked directly out onto about a mile and a quarter of open bay to the south, the direction of the prevailing winds.

Tall Oaks will be about $1100 more for the year than Shore Point (including electric, pool fees, winter storage fees, etc.), and almost $2000 more than Laurel Harbor for the year. I'm a bit iffy about the way Laurel Harbor stores the boats, though (they use blocks, rather than jackstands), so I might have to winter her somewhere else, which would probably knock about $200 off of that difference. Tall Oaks is still cheaper than Dillons Creek - I'd love to go back there, but really can't justify it.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks again, Jim! Actually one of the things keeping Southwinds in the picture was their pool, so it's interesting to hear that it won't be available. That helps winnow things down even more.

If we're in Barnegat Bay , I think it's now down to Tall Oaks/Silver Cloud, Shore Point, or, if we want to abandon the idea of a pool, Laurel Harbor.

Have you been up to Shore Point in Bayville? I like the idea of being there because, if the winds aren't right for sailing on the bay, I can always come in and sail the river which is fairly wide in that stretch. It's a quick hop out into the river from the marina, and then a 15-20 minute sail to the bay, which sounds good on paper. I do worry that it's a little unprotected depending on the winds, but it seems like it would be better than our last marina which looked directly out onto about a mile and a quarter of open bay to the south, the direction of the prevailing winds.

Tall Oaks will be about $1100 more for the year than Shore Point (including electric, pool fees, winter storage fees, etc.), and almost $2000 more than Laurel Harbor for the year. I'm a bit iffy about the way Laurel Harbor stores the boats, though (they use blocks, rather than jackstands), so I might have to winter her somewhere else, which would probably knock about $200 off of that difference. Tall Oaks is still cheaper than Dillons Creek - I'd love to go back there, but really can't justify it.
Sorry, I'm just not familiar with Shore Point. Dillon's Creek is really nice. Just watch out for their attack dog! You might get licked to death.

The only downside with Dillon's creek is there aren't any restaurants/bars that are walking distance as I remember. But if I had kids the pool and the lack of traffic would be BIG selling points.

I think you might be mixing up Southwinds with another marina. They filled in the pool around '09.

Honestly the marinas you're looking at are all good choices. Keeping the kids occupied when you're not sailing is an added dimension for you that we don't have (our son is grown).

And look at the bright side; if you aren't thrilled with the marina you pick you can always try out the others by taking a transient slip for the weekend. The great thing about a boat is you can always cast off the lines and move to another marina. We started on LBI and moved up to the bay to get away from the crowds. Try that with a condo!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

LOL...I drove by Southwinds and saw all the sand in the pool, but I assumed that was Sandy damage.

I really liked Dillons; the owners were fantastic, and the "guard dog" was an adorable puppy when we were there.

And i agree with your comment about moving. I would rather not have to, though!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 02-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Looks like a boat that will suit your needs well. I think a lot of folks get too hung up on performance, you need something to get the wife and kids on the water. This will do that in comfort. A bit of cleaning and you should be set. If the boat is still as cluttered as when the pictures were taken, then I am not surprised that you could not find the canvas. I will never understand why people don't clean up there boats before trying to sell.

I watched the "video Gallery" of the boat and the funny thing is that it is obviously a computer voice, and it read 1 16 horse motor as having a 116 horse motor! I almost laughed out loud when I heard it.
jimgo likes this.
Old 02-08-2013

Quote:
LOL...I drove by Southwinds and saw all the sand in the pool, but I assumed that was Sandy damage.
LOL, I was scratching my head trying to figure out "sand in the pool".

That's their beach bar between the dock and the restaurant. During the summer they bring in palm trees and Adirondack chairs and have a band playing in there.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Jim,

I went back and looked at the satellite pictures, and you are right, I was confused. I did drive by Southwinds, but the marina I was remembering was Key Harbor in Waretown.

So, now that that is cleared up... (Wow, old age setting in already?)
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I stayed at Dillions Creek the first four years it was open in the 80s. Dilons Creek may be worth the money because you can take the kids on LBI at night if they are really bored.

One last place to consider. When we travel from the Chessie to New England/Long Island Sound we usually come in Barnegat Inlet and anchor in Meyers Hole behind the light house.

One year we had to hang out a few days due to weather and we went a little further back to the High Bar Yacht Club. First Class facility where the slips are owned, buy plenty are rented out. The trip to Barnetgat Bay is a short 2 miles intracoastal one or you can go out into the ocean.

Not sure of the price

High Bar Harbor Yacht Club

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

OK, the waiting is driving me NUTS. I have plotted courses (a few different ways, depending on the weather, how tired I get, etc.), found marinas/docks/anchorages, figured out what I need to bring, orderd a few things, read most of the write-ups about the boat, read more about sailing, etc. My wife and I are scouting out marinas this weekend, and then hopefully that decision will be made soon, too. Now, all I can do is wait for the 8th and the survey.

I DO need to get in touch with the USCG/NJ Marine folks who are responsible for some of Barnegat Bay. Any suggestions on how to go about that? I found the NJ department (in the Environment department, I think) that's based in Forked River, and tried E-mailing them since they are responsible for some of the channel markers in the bay, but they haven't replied.

Otherwise, I wait. Gahhhh!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
OK, the waiting is driving me NUTS. I have plotted courses (a few different ways, depending on the weather, how tired I get, etc.), found marinas/docks/anchorages, figured out what I need to bring, orderd a few things, read most of the write-ups about the boat, read more about sailing, etc. My wife and I are scouting out marinas this weekend, and then hopefully that decision will be made soon, too. Now, all I can do is wait for the 8th and the survey.

I DO need to get in touch with the USCG/NJ Marine folks who are responsible for some of Barnegat Bay. Any suggestions on how to go about that? I found the NJ department (in the Environment department, I think) that's based in Forked River, and tried E-mailing them since they are responsible for some of the channel markers in the bay, but they haven't replied.

Otherwise, I wait. Gahhhh!
Call the CG station at Barnegat Light. They are at the lighthouse at the inlet

Station Barnegat Light Phone Number. 609 494-2661

Station Barnegat Light Fax Number. (609) 494-4856

Station Small Beach Haven Phone number. (609) 492-1423

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-15-2013

TowBoat U.S. Barnegat Light:

Home Page

(609) 494-6385