SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

For a family of 4 - Islander 28 vs Catalina 30

19K views 93 replies 18 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm back. I've been looking at a lot of boats for my family and me - wife, 2 kids (7 and 4) - which we'll probably be sailing in the Barnegat Bay area of NJ. We really liked a Hunter 28.5 that we saw - the low coach roof meant good visibility for our kids from the cockpit (something our C25 lacked), and we liked the cockpit and cabin of an Allmand 31 that we tried to buy, but couldn't come to price agreement with the owner. When that fell through (we missed out on the Hunter 28.5), I started looking again, and I've found three that look promising. One is a 1982 Hunter 33 (Cherubini-era) that was recently redone inside and out. Another is a 1981 Catalina 30 that has supposedly been redone as well. The third one on my list is a 1977 Islander 28. I haven't been aboard any of them yet - the Hunter and Islander are both about 2 hours from me (in different directions) and the Catalina is almost 5 hours from me. I've found another C30 that is closer, and even less money, but I'm not sure of its over-all condition (e.g., how long ago rigging and other "stuff" was updated). From the pictures I've seen, the Islander appears to be in the best shape - she's beautiful. She has a self-tending jib, which is kind of cool, though I'd prefer a furler since I will do a lot of "effectively" single-handing (2 young kids means my wife is busy most of the time). The cabin and cockpit look to have been very well maintained. She also has a nice draft (4'2"), significantly less than the Catalina 30 (5'3"), and a good bit shallower than the Hunter, too. The H33 looks nice, but the cabin lay-out is the traditional "shotgun" style (as is the Islander's), which really isn't as appealing as the C30's cabin. The C30 looks like it will need the most "TLC", with the H33 falling somewhere in the middle. The H33 has a Yanmar, the Islander and the Catalina both have Atomic 4's.

I'm thinking that the H33 might be a bit "much" for us at this point. Sure, I'd love a bigger boat, but from what I've seen in the pictures, the C30 seems to have a better cockpit and cabin layout - it doesn't seem like I gain much by having the extra 3 feet. So, I'm inclined to rule it out (though I'd appreciate any comments before I make that official), which leaves me with the C30 and the Islander 28. So, what's your take? A 1977 Islander 28 which appears to be in great shape, or a 1981 Catalina 30 that might need a fair bit of "TLC"? It looks like I can get either one for about the same price. Is the 5'3" draft on the C30 too much for Barnegat Bay?

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't been on an Islander 28 either, but I almost bought an Islander 30 and really liked what I saw. My slip neighbor also has an Islander 30 and sails it on 2-3 day trips pretty much every weekend and loves it.

The Islander 28 was designed by one of the great designers (Robert Perry) and is said to be one of his 3 favorite projects. Initial build quality on the Islanders is also a little higher than Catalina. So that's the one that I'd personally start with.

#3 ·
I think the Islander is the prettier of the two, but it's hard to beat the C30 for layout. When you check out a C30 be sure to see if the low clearance over part of the aft berth is going to be an issue.

Both with an A4...either of them FWC? That would be a big plus.

The Cher. H33 is probably a very nice boat for what you want. The diesel is a re-sale plus down the road. Even if it "feels too much" to start that will only last awhile. If your family takes to it with heart it may avoid the inevitable "2-footitis" for some time.

Reactions: bljones
#4 · (Edited)
I owned an Island 28 on Barnegat Bay some 28 years ago. Is this where the boat is located? The 6 years I owned her she was the only I28 on Barnegat Bay. Nice boat...quick... nice cane cabinet fronts. perfect for a small family. I had her name Island Majic, but the people who bought her from me may have changed the name. I believe she was a 1977. She had an Atomic 4if you keeping her on Barnegat Bay sailing this boat is great as the draft kept me from bumping where other boats hit sand. I took her to Block Island a number of times. When I sold her she was kept in Dillons Creek marina

Diesel is safer than gas on the other hand. You may need the room and the extra feet in the Hunter amy be worth it. Go for the best quality boat and the one youd be proud to own. All would fit your needs

Is this the boat your looking at my old one?

Dave

#5 ·
Given a choice between a Cat 30 and a Cherubini Hunter 33 , I'd go with the Hunter. All of the reasons why are arguable but i just like the Hunter better as a cruiser and dock-condo
combo. The Catalina has better accomodations, but the Hunert is better equipped and if you're comparing dollar for dollar, the bigger. better boat with more stuff is usually the winner.

#7 ·
Jimgo,

I think this is another one of those "well, it depends" questions. Only you can answer based on personal tastes and your priorities.

I have sailed both the Islander 28 and an '80s Catalina 30, and IMO the Islander is the better behaved sailor, although I don't remember it being particularly fast. I think there's more room and storage in the Catalina, although I could be wrong. I don't remember the I28 having an abundance of storage, but it wasn't something I'd look for on a day sail. And of course, this is anecdotal evidence, not objective and accurate statistics. YMMV.

If you want a somewhat more objective guide to speed, you might be interested in PHRF ratings. The '75 C30 w/o spinnaker (not tall rig) has a PHRF rating of 210, while the I28 w/o spinnaker has a PHRF rating of 224.

Tom

#8 ·
The C30 IS a bigger boat overall. You would have to look at an I30 to have the same IMHO boat size comparison. The I28 is the same size as my boat, or a Cat 28mkII. There is less room inside.

With that said, I believe an Islander will be a better boat overall than Catalina, we are not talking major amounts mind you. Chevy vs buick difference. From looking at local boat, Islander seem to be better designed on deck etc from a sailing stand point. When racing them, always tough to beat, where as Catalina's are pretty simple.

Marty

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. If I could find an Islander 30 in my price range that was close(ish) to me, I'd be glad to take a look!

The H33 has me a bit concerned because I single-hand a lot. I was out on a C38 in heavy winds about a year ago, and I'm not sure I'd be able to handle her alone. Granted, the H33 is a much smaller boat, but I think I'd rather wait until I'm ready and have more experience than have something that might intimidate me (and thus keep us from using it as much as I'd like). As between the C30 and the I28, it could be an interesting choice.

#19 ·
Thanks for the feedback. If I could find an Islander 30 in my price range that was close(ish) to me, I'd be glad to take a look!
Jimgo,

I thought of you when I saw this 1975 I30 for sale over in Rock Hall, MD. I'd wager you could get it for $6K - $8K. I am guessing it would probably be a 3 - 4 day transit to Barnegat Bay through the ICS from Rock Hall.

#10 ·
There are a few done here on the Chessie and some on the Lakes, but they were California boats. When we were in San Diego sailing last year and Long Beach we saw a lot of hem. Especially the 36 and the pilot house Bahama.

Dave

#16 ·
That's what I'm afraid of, Alex - with Hurricane Sandy, we're starting to see some of the damaged boats coming on the market. It's the ones where the damage isn't as obvious, or even known by the owner, that scares me. I've been trying to focus on boats that are outside of Sandy's reach, or were for sale before the storm hit, which tells me that the sellers aren't "suddenly motivated" to sell.

On the plus side, it has allowed me to find a few more boats. I now have a lead on an Islander 30 and an S2 9.2. The Islander 30 is a bit farther from home than I'd like, and only has single lifelines (I'd prefer double) but otherwise looks to meet most of my requirements (the photos from the seller seem to show her in decent shape; now I just need to find time to get to see her). I haven't seen pictures of the S2 yet - hopefully they'll be coming later this week, and I may be able to see her in person on Saturday or Sunday.

I know y'all can't wait for my next update... ;)

#18 ·
Thanks, Dave, I appreciate that!

We were in Galena and Rock Hall on Saturday - Galena was really pretty. Too far away, but nice and tranquil, at least this time of year. I may be near Havte de Grace this coming weekend to check out a boat, too. After that, I may take you up on your offer!

#20 ·
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I tried to visit her on Saturday, but she's out for repairs and couldn't be seen. I have a strong preference for a wheel, and that particular Islander is tiller-steered. I could look at outfitting her with a transom-mounted wheel, but need to factor that into the cost compared to other boats that are available.

In my mind, at least, the trip up the Chesse and through the canal would be a lot of fun. Tiring, but fun, so I've been sure to include MD and parts of VA in my searches.

Thanks for pointing her out, by the way! If you see anything else, the suggestions are welcome!

#21 ·
We goi to the LI Sound and New England every summer from the Chesapeake.
The stop on the thrid night is Barnegat Lighthouse. One day to Reedy Island on the Delaware, One day to Cape May, One day to Banegat.

Easy trip mostly motoring ( Delaware with the tide only)

#22 ·
Jim,

I currently sail an I-28. I did not choose it, it just landed in my lap. I was in the market for a small coastal cruiser to introduce my wife to sailing and the coast of Maine. I have been sailing here on various boats since the 80's. Mine has a 5' draft.

This boat is the most well balanced boat I have had the pleasure to sail. My novice wife was comfortable at the helm on our first outing (10 knots +_ with spray on deck when beating with a 130 jib). She is the helms woman and I am the trimmer now. It is responsive and predictable. It is safe because of that. Jibing is a non event. I sail it solo with hank on head sails. I added a jib down haul for my comfort and convenience. Bob Perry got it right. It is well made of quality materials, too. It is not as roomy as some of the other boats in its class. The hull is designed to sail first, not sleep a crowd in spacious comfort but there is plenty of room for our coastal outings. Its flare continues to the rail. Looks and acts like a sailboat not a wind powered camper.

I don't have experience with the other boats you are considering but I do like the I-28.

Down

#23 ·
Down, thanks for the feedback. Its comments like yours that have helped keep the I28 on my list despite having other boats that would better combat 2-foot-itis. I am anxious to see the I28. She seems to be the most turn-key of the boats so far, which would be nice after spending almost every weekend from January through May of 2012 rehabbing our C25. If the cockpit and cabin are comfortable enough and the engine seems reliable enough, it just might seduce me away from some of the 30's at which I am looking.

Chef, you'll have to let me know when you're doing your migration, perhaps we can meet in Cape May or near Barnegat for dinner. With all the advice, I think I owe you at least that much!

#24 ·
Ha.....I like that term migration

No charge for the commradiery. Its important to give back.

Will be sometime soon after August 15 when we start our journey northward. We genrally take a slip at Utsches in Cape May for one night going up and 2 nights when we return as my wife and I love Cape May ( I lived in Ocean City for 18 years when I worked in the cainos in AC). Barnegat is an anchored night but we could come in and pick you up on the dinghy from LBI near a street end or dock near the lighthouse.

BTW there are a number of SN sailors on Barnegat Bay on here. JimMcGee, Sabreman, Chip ( fogot his monniker ehere) it may be Grt and others who are nice people. They may be able to help you also if thats where you intend on sailing. There are others.

Where are you located in Philly burbs, I grew up in Bryn Mawr.

#25 ·
Jim,

Good luck with your search. What a nice surprise as I got to know this boat. The PO "gave" it to me because it needed work and he had no means to deal with it. I replaced the seized A-4 and added some electronics including radar. The I-28 was not a boat I was familiar with but it would "do" for a couple of years as I introduced the Admiral to sailing. That was 5 years ago and we will keep it. It is capable in heavy weather, too. We take it out to play in the waves from time to time. Hull speed is easily achieved and it surfs comfortably. I have not upgraded the sails yet. I think the original owner raced it out of Boston as "Hurrah". New sails are next. that will be interesting!

Down

#26 ·
Down, who knows, maybe we'll be able to discuss the finer points of the I28 (and cause Dave to reminisce about his old boat)!

Dave, I'm over near Lansdale. And, I have a dinghy with an engine, just no sailboat to carry it! Well, I do have a 15' Albacore, but the 9' dinghy would look kind of silly on the foredeck. I tell everyone that I have a small powerboat and a small sailboat - what do they know? [:)]

#29 ·
I was actually IN Georgetown, at the Georgetown Yacht Basin (or whatever the proper name is for that place). Very pretty! I met a nice guy working on a Hunter 31 while we were there. If I find myself back there, I'll have to look for your Centaur. I've seen a few from afar, but have always wanted to see one up close!

#30 ·
We had a Catalina 25 for a single season, but started to get a feel for what I want in a boat. Roller furling is high on my list, though a wheel is actually tops for me. I hit my youngest (age 4) in the head a few times with the tiller because he didn't move when I told him to, and I NEEDED to move the tiller. Needless to say, that doesn't make for a fun time for anyone. Plus, I think a wheel will open up the cockpit when underway. We didn't spend a lot of time entertaining at the dock (short attention span for the kids), so being comfortable underway is my big priority. The wheel, and good visibility forward for people under 4' will go a long way toward making the entire experience more enjoyable for everyone.

An autopilot would be great, but even the ability to lock the wheel and walk away would be good. I had a tiller tamer, but could never get it to work properly; the rope always seemed to slip at just the wrong moment.

Roller furling is a big plus - our old boat had it, and I still have the furler, though I'm not sure it's really meant for a 28-30' boat (it was called a "Roller-Ful" or something like that, and just used a wire luff). One of the boats has a self-tending jib. I'm not sure how I feel about that; I may be swapping it for a furler at some point! Self tailing winches would be nice, too, but I haven't had 'em, so I "don't know what I'm missing".

Thanks for the suggestions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.