Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012

Kestrel is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Tanzer 14

Good evening - first post for me!

I currently live near Lake Norman in NC, and have family who recently purchased a home on the lake. I'd like to find a small sailboat for solo use, as well as with a friend. I've been looking at the typical sunfish, phantoms, and so on, but haven't found much available locally.

A Tanzer 14 came up recently, and I'm curious if anybody here has ever had experience with the 14. It seems there are a few Tanzer 16 owners (and threads) on these forums, but nothing about the smaller sibling. I suspect the two boats share a few things in common, but I don't know to what extent.

Can anybody tell me anything about this boat? I'm a late 20s guy looking for something fun to sail. Would something like this fit the bill? I realize it's quite a bit heavier than a Sunfish. Would it be appreciably slower, even with the much larger sail surface area?

Thanks!

K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tanzer 14

I wonder if something a bit more spirited wouldn't suit you better... Like a Laser perhaps? Depends on what you want to do with it (ie solo or with a crew)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2012

Kestrel is on a distinguished road

A laser would probably be more enjoyable, but doesn't seem to fit the budget at the moment. Most folks want close to a thousand dollars in these parts for a decent boat, and I'd ideally like to spend half of that in order to dabble and get started. Ideally, I'd like to work my way up to something larger, and do some ocean sailing in the distant future. But starting small doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

The Tanzer locally available seems to be in decent condition, and comes in at a fraction of the cost of a laser, trailer included. It's tempting!

One of my other options is an attractively priced Phantom hull, which I think would better handle a small passenger than a Sunfish, but it lacks a mast, sail, rigging, and a rudder. (Daggerboard only.) Though a Sunfish mast and sail would work, I'm concerned that piecing it together may be more trouble than I think - especially the rudder. I have some friends who do metal fabrication, so I don't doubt I could arrange something for the rudder, but even so...

Last edited by Kestrel; 12-30-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well for that kind of money I don't think you could loose. If all you want is something to get wet with (after all you will get wet in a small boat like that and it is half the fun) then I don't think you can go to far wrong. Find something in your budget, ready to go and put it in the water. It won't likely be the last boat, but that is OK as you will learn what you want for the next one. For me a small cat like a Hobie 16 would be perfect as they are faster, but can be a lot wetter. But be careful, it is not just a hobby, it becomes a lifestyle. It is all absorbing for many.