Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013

cdepret is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Looking for the perfect boat

I am looking for a fast 20-22 ft range sailboat. Ideally I would like to find a boat with capability of sleeping overnight (nothing fancy), retractable keel, less than 2000 lbs and fast enough to be competitive on local lake races in South Carolina and within a $5000 budget. A Us 21 seems to fit this description but I understand that it is not that fast and they are very difficult to find. Any suggestion would be great. Thanks and happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for the perfect boat

The San Juan 21 is a strong, popular one design class.. Have you looked into those? Santana 20 is another, along with the Ranger 22/23..
night0wl likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-01-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

San Juan is a good choice with retractable keel Santana 20 and Ranger 22/23 are not retractable keel
$ 5000 and fast with sleeping room are going be difficult
Old 01-01-2013

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

Santana 20s are nice boats, I have been sailing one for several years. They are hard to lauch due to the keel. Also they aren't easy to rig and unrig quickly. I also owned a San Juan 21. Its a good light air boat and fun to sail although it is a little tender.

A Catalina 22 would fit your requirements. They are about the perfect do everything boat, although they don't really excel anything. Although it is more of a cruiser than a racer.
Old 01-01-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

US21 certainly is fast, compared to other boats of that size and vintage. It rates PHRF 201, 50 sec/mile faster than the SJ21 (252) and seventy faster than the Catalina 22 (270). It's a very quick little boat, with a clever interior layout.

SJ21 is popular in the Carolinas, since SJ had a second plant in NC. There's a fairly active fleet in the Lake Norman area.

San Juan 21 Fleet - Lake Norman Yacht Club

Blackbeard Sailing Club

The class will hold its 2013 NAs on Lake Murray, SC. You can buy one for under $2k in sailable shape; race ready for a bit over $3k. Under 2000# on the trailer, real easy to launch. Not sure how the boat got its reputation for tenderness (but I'm a dinghy sailor moving up, so it sure feels stiff to me.) Goes nicely in light air; can be managed in heavy air under reefed main only.

June 2011 blow Tony

Doesn't care for chop, tho. Not the boat I'd choose for Pamlico or the Atlantic. Cabin is tiny on the Mk1; slightly less cramped on the flush deck versions. We've lived on our Mk1 for twelve days, so it's a matter of what you consider 'accomodations.'

Last edited by bobmcgov; 01-01-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

First thing I thought of was a San Juan 21. Great little boats that go like stink if you rig them right.
Old 01-02-2013

bnaylor is on a distinguished road
Looking for the perfect boat

I sail a Catalina 22 - as stated in an earlier reply, they are a great all-around boat, can be purchased very reasonably, but do not excel in any one area. We are lake cruisers and our C-22 is a great fit for our family. There is a very C-22 racing fleet in my area, too.

As we were docking this weekend, we saw a really nice looking Santana 2030 - beautiful! The owner is a racer and he has the "R" model for that purpose. These are water ballast 23-footers - really nice. I have no idea about price or availability; but, definitely worth your while to research them a bit more.
Old 01-04-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It might be harder to find for under $5k, but I've raced on Capri 22s and they are a lot of fun. They have a larger cockpit than the Catalina 22 and are a lot faster. PHRF is 210.

My only complaint on the Capri 22 is that the boom is quite low and has a sharp edge along the bottom that really hurts when it wacks you.

I don't know how common they are for one design. I've raced them at a sailing school which has a small fleet of them.

You might also look into the Ranger 23 or other small Gary Mull boats. He designed a lot of the boats already mentioned in this thread and seems like the most prolific designer of small racing keelboats.
Old 01-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

We have a large fleet of SJ 21s in Calgary. They are fun to race. I have not overnighted on one though.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-04-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

If you want FAST .... Id suggest an Ultimate 20 (PHRF @ 145 or Portsmouth Yardstick rating @ 79.9), quite quick and with a large cuddy cabin. U20 Class Association. Used prices will be $15K+

More in your $5K budget range: Another with a small cuddy cabin would be the Holder 20. ( .... at about Portsmouth 84-85 rating, or PHRF 175). http://www.holder20.com

Comparing the U20, the San Juan 21 would be at about 260 PHRF or 95 Portsmouth ... (a pig! if you're looking for 'fast'). The only problem with a 'fast' boat such as the U20 is you will dominate most PHRF/Portmouth fleets and won't be 'progressing' with your sailing skills as fast as with a 'mid fleet' rated boat. Being well in front of any mixed fleet all the time gets boring real fast.

FWIW - racing Portsmouth Yardstick handicap is VASTLY superior to the stodgy and political PHRF and you might want to consider to locate fleets that race under the Portsmouth Yardstick rules. The reason is with PHRF and for FAST boats of near 20ft. LOA, many times you're beaten by the PHRF 'numbers' before you even leave the dock. Portsmouth ratings corrects for varying wind strengths, etc. Portsmouth Yardstick Index

Last edited by RichH; 01-04-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.