Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Great boat broker

So it isn't that often I have had an experience with a boat broker that was so good I felt the need to publicly recommend them. But having just taken delivery on a new to me Corsair Sprint 750 I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the customer support from Steve and Tanya at The Finish Line OTC in Stuart Florida.

We started the process of buying this boat with a phone call to them asking if they could arrange a test sail. Having never sailed a trimaran before we had no idea if this was a boat that we would like, and of all the brokers I talked too, they were the only ones willing to take us out just to see if a trimaran was even an option. Having called at least six brokers to try and set this up the fact that they were willing to put a test sail together with no promises, or even implications that a purchase was in the works was pretty impressive.

So we flew down to see them at their shop, where they were welcoming and accommodating, then took us out on an all day test sail just to orient us to what sailing a trimaran is like. Of course we bought the boat from them, so obviously we liked it, but this isn't about the boat selection.

After settling on the fact that we did in fact want the Sprint 750, Steve did a great job of pulling every boat in the US that was for sale, then running a huge spreadsheet detailing the cost differences in each of the boats (balancing for gear and shipping costs). Finally we settled on a specific boat, and within days had an accepted offer.

No muss, no fuss, just got the deal done, and was able to hammer out the few issues in no time flat.

Now this is where it gets really amazing. Once we took delivery on the boat the plan was to have it shipped to Jamaica by ship, which required disassembling the boat, packing it into a container, loading up the hundreds of pounds of boat gear we bought in addition to the boat, then arranging for shipping. Given that the boat needed to be loaded and on its way in less than seven days I didn't think it was possible, but thanks to some long hours, and working thru Thanksgiving, Steve and Tanya got it done, and with time to spare.

Then because it was going to be necessary to put the boat back together on the commercial wharf in Jamaica, Steve offered to fly down and help assemble it for nothing more than the cost of a plane ticket, and a day getting to sail the boat in Jamaica.

Six long hours on the wharf in Jamaica fighting through customs agents, brokers, inspections, and finally thanks to Steve the boat was ready to be trailered. Then a three hour drive across the island to drop the boat in the water.

Withing an hour of getting to the ramp the boat was in the water, the mast was up, and all the while giving a seminar on how to put the boat in the water, so we know how to do it next time.

Having been involved in the boat industry for years, owned close to a dozen different boats, working in boat yards for years, and now selling marine equipment, I have never had the pleasure of working with a broker that was as dedicated to making the sale and resultant delivery as painless as possible. And given that the boat was traveling internationally, and had to be disassembled that's saying something.
Old 01-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Great boat broker

Nice to hear.... how close is this to a F-25C?? Oh - and pics please!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Great boat broker

I'm headed back to the states tomorrow, so pics will have to wait. But we had it out today in 25kn of breaze and 6 foot seas. With GPS speeds of 16kn. A little more experience on the boat and we might have put up the spinnaker to really get it to fly.

As mentioned I am not a trimaran expert, and have very limited experience on them. But from what I have seen the F25 is almost twice the price in the used market, about 2.5 feet longer (though the same weight), significantly faster (it PHRF's about 40sec/mile faster). The 750 has a larger cockpit, more lounge space, and is a little more finished. But having never seen a 25 in person I would accept corrections.