Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pearson Vanguard 33 reviews?

If you ever feel the need to mod your future Vanguard, check out what this fellow did. The ad is expired, but the pic is still there. He said the rudder mod made a huge difference, so much so that he had to go back and slow down the ratio as it was turning so much faster.
Pearson Vanguard 33 yacht for sale
Also, while JimPendoley, I believe, represents an honest informant on his boat, warts and all, here's a link to another review that, surprise surprise, backs him up. Go here, and click the bullet on the left that says "American Beauty"
The Pearson Vanguard Page
Finally, it amazes me how there's constantly this question of the durability of fiberglass boats. We read about the plastic trash island in the pacific, the plastic bottles that will "never bio-degrade in our landfills," and blah, blah, blah about the evils of plastic. Well, does it bio-degrade or doesn't it? Does it last 100 years in the sun, or doesn't it? Duplicitous, me thinks. And this is said about discarded light plastic items, not a maintained, much heavier glass/plastic boat. Do the bottles last forever, but the boats don't? And spare me the stress analysis comparing a working boat vs a soda bottle. It is what it is. Either plastic boats will last forever, or the plastic bottle invincibility theory is sunk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info I've been there and yes they make a good read. I've heard from many about the pluses and minuses of the boats. I appreciate the article on the rudder mod I'll dig into it. I've been googling for a couple of weeks and surprised I missed that one.
Old 01-21-2014

Actually that's the 2nd Vanguard I've seen with a spade rudder. I seem to remember reading an article about how towards the end of production they weren't very competitive so they redesigned the rudder to a spade and several came from Pearson this way... It would be interesting to compare the sailing qualities side by side. I bet the spade is quicker/ points better but, somehow though I like the keel hung rudder better. It's better supported and less for things to get tangled on ect.
Old 01-21-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I actually have what may be one of the first or second (I seem to recall finding and earlier boat) fiberglass production boats. It's a 1961 Columbia 29 Hull#64, they were a S&S design but... guess where Phil Rhodes was working before he went out on his own... So he drew the lines for the Columbia 29 while working at S&S. I know the design was commissioned in 1958/59, and production started in 1960.
Phil Rhodes worked for Cox & Stevens, which changed its name to Philip Rhodes Naval Architects and Marine Engineers in 1947.

I had a Vanguard for a number of years, and I agree with what Jeff H said.
Old 01-21-2014

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road

Yahoo Groups
Old 01-21-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Actually that's the 2nd Vanguard I've seen with a spade rudder. I seem to remember reading an article about how towards the end of production they weren't very competitive so they redesigned the rudder to a spade and several came from Pearson this way... It would be interesting to compare the sailing qualities side by side. I bet the spade is quicker/ points better but, somehow though I like the keel hung rudder better. It's better supported and less for things to get tangled on ect.
He said it was basically what you'd expect. Better for maneuvering, backing, racing, and catching stuff, but in some decent waves it'd ventilate and lose tracking, so it depended on your use and prefs.
Old 01-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
Phil Rhodes worked for Cox & Stevens, which changed its name to Philip Rhodes Naval Architects and Marine Engineers in 1947.

I had a Vanguard for a number of years, and I agree with what Jeff H said.
We'll it looks like I've been grossly misinformed. I apologize I read an article and forum contents on the C-29 and thought it was true. I guess what they say about everything about everything on the internet being true doesn't hold up!

Thanks for your input. So you agree they are somewhat poorly built layup wise and obviously won't point as high as modern fin keel boats? Or was there some other aspect you are wanting to share. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-22-2014
Banned

Jeff H. You were speaking on the construction materials and it appears you said this about the Vanguard?

"Shorter fiber lengths and more brittle resins meant a very flexible and at the same time fatigue prone material."

Short fibers? In woven roving? How do you figure? Short compared to what? I would consider short fibers to be more like the chopper gun products that have been manufactured the last 30 some-odd years to be the champion of short fiber lengths. And what's this about vacuum-bagging? There were companies working without vacuum systems into the 1990's, only relenting to closed systems, not for the end product quality, but for the demands of the EPA, so I'm not seeing how that's relevant either, be it on Vanguards or any other fiberglassed anything made (in an open setting) up til the EPA mandated it be a closed system.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 01-22-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2014

Ohh I figured it out I got my designer wires crossed so to speak. I was thinking of Carl Alberg... my bad.
Old 01-22-2014

Seabreeze, I'll agree that comment doesn't make alot of sense to me either. I wouldn't be looking at one of these boats if I wasn't interested in the warts and all as you put it. One persons experience that goes contrary to a long list of others experiences isn't a determent to me. I'm the type of person that gets bored if I don't have a project or something to fix. I guess that's why I like old boats, and sailing in general, there's always something!

Tags
pearson vanguard 33 , racing to cruising