Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Rethinking inboard

The Coronado 25 and 27 have outboard engine wells.

My first boat was a Coronado 25, with a Honda 9.9 4-stroke longshaft installed. I sailed in very choppy weather and NEVER had a problem with cavitation. The boat also backed and handled well.

The Honda 9.9 4-stroke had a huge powerhead though, and I couldn't lock the engine in the full "up" position with the engine's plastic dome installed.
I wouldn't let this deter you though. Other manufacturers' 4-strokes seem to have smaller powerheads and 2-stroke engines are still out there.

I agree-
If you insist on having an outboard-powered boat, I wouldn't go with a transom mounted outboard, I'd look for a boat with an engine well.

However, I also agree that if you had a heavy engine smell, the engine either needed maintenance or fuel was spilled somewhere. Personally, I did have some trepidation about buying an inboard-powered boat, but I'm ok with it because I have excellent access to my engine, so maintenance isn't a terrible chore. Some boats have terrible access to the inboard, which can really sour you on larger boat ownership.

Some examples of good inboard engine access are the Tartan 30, Pearson 30 and certain build numbers of the Catalina 30. In the case of the C-30, so many have been built, and the furniture re-arranged, that engine access is not equal in all C-30's.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Agree with most here. Diesel is the way to go. Clean up the engine area. Look for leakage of diesel fuel. Make sure the exhaust has no pin holes.

Gas engine prop will always sit higher than a prop under the boat and will be more suseptable to cavitaion easpecially in any kind of even moderate sea state.

Sa is also inherently more dangerous than diesel with fumes also. Given the use of ethanol in gas now, I would recommend strongly the diesel fix.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-09-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say "ditto."

If you keep your engine clean and fix leaks as they occur, you will not have any noticeable smells from an inboard diesel installation.

The unfortunate fact is that far too many boat owners do NOT keep their engines clean, and do NOT fix small leaks. That is the only reason that you smell diesel on so many sailboats.
Old 01-09-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Some Cal 28s were made with outboard wells .........Well thank God and Jensen, mine has an inboard!......Dale
Where God got it done!