Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013
<-- best seat on the boat

jcwhite is on a distinguished road
San Juan 24

Thoughts?

24 Foot Sailboat - Nanaimo Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Nanaimo Canada.

I haven't been up to look at it yet, but I'm seriously considering it. I'm looking for an entry-level boat that I can single-hand without too much trouble (I do know how to sail, although I wouldn't go out solo on a blustery day). It'll spend most of its time on a mooring, but I'd like to be able to trailer the boat so I can take it over to the west coast of Vancouver Island without having to sail it around. Big enough that I can sleep on it (space for a friend or two would be nice, but not necessary).

Pros I've heard: affordable, entry-level boat that's perfectly reasonable and gets the job done. Cons I've heard: Built as a racing rule-beater, not an everyday sailboat, some cost-cutting measures during construction, small cockpit. Is that a good model for me to consider, or should I look elsewhere?
Old 01-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: San Juan 24

It is an early IOR design, by the famous Bruce Kirby.. and can/does suffer from some of the downwind behaviour issues of boats of that era..

Smallish cockpit, as you noted, but a decent racer/cruiser with reasonable 'camper cruising' accomodations. Quick upwind and a bit squirrely downwind in a breeze, but nothing that can't be managed. Very narrow transom and using the outboard can be quite awkward.. be sure it's a extra long shaft. One big negative for me is an odd molding at the front of the cockpit, you need to step over it going forward on deck.. it's a splash deflector, I believe, but not sure it's necessary...

Not a good trailerable boat, I think it's a 4 foot draft fixed keel so not ideal if that's a major part of your plans. I don't see a trailer in the listing?? and in any event ramp launching deep keel boats can be problematic.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

It's certainly light enuf to trailer, tho loading and launching won't be too fun unless you have access to a hoist. The SJ24 was one of the racier Clark designs, meant to compete with the J/24 as a price-point OD or club racer. It is nowhere close to the J/24 in speed, however (219 vs 168). Its rig is undersized, it won't hold with the J upwind a'tall, and you hadn't ought to make up time on the downwind leg or you'll be washing your Windex. A few people still race them, and they can do well under PHRF with a good crew.

The boat's most famous quality is its white-knuckle ride under spinnaker. It rolls like a ferry. You'll be glad for the small cockpit when lying on your side. But if your throttle back or sail wing-and-wing, it will behave fine. Many of the Clark boats feel faster than they objectively are -- quick, rather than fast -- which makes them really nice daysailers, if you don't have any particular place to go.

You can singlehand the boat fine. Loads are reasonable and everything can be handled at the coamings or coachroof. (You will love the roller furling.) Build quality was 'meh.' General glass work was about standard, balsa decks on all Clark boats seem to suffer water intrusion. Look for soft spots, maybe use that to negotiate.

Stock deck hardware was not great; bonus points if that's been upgraded to Harken or similar. (From the ad, looks like lots of fresh Schaeffer gear -- that's good.) Sails are cheap for this boat; you should be able to find good used rags all over the PNW. Most parts still available & what isn't can be substituted or fabricated. It's a cheap boat to own & lots of fun to sail, tho I'd want some experience & a beefy helper before taking it out in a blow. Not a boat for the open ocean, but good fun/$ ratio inshore. If it checks out, go for it! (Then take that bloody danforth off the bow pulpit....)
Old 01-10-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
If i may hop in, i have been looking at a SJ 24 here in FL. Also looking at a Morgan 24. What would the SJ 24 offer or not offer over the Morgan?
Old 01-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Are we comparing these two?

That's the only Morgan 24/25 I found.. these are two pretty different boats, with SJ is a fin keel, very different underbody.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
These two. Sorry if links don't work. Don't know how to make them links from my phone.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/3520740048.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/3466345739.html
Old 01-11-2013

So .... sounds like I should double check the hardware, the outboard and the deck core if I get a chance to see it, in addition to the usual persnicketiness. I've e-mailed the seller for pics of the interior. It's a bit of hike for me to get to where the boat is, so that's not happening for at least a week or so, assuming it's still around.

I wouldn't be trailering the boat regularly. If I was going to be working on the west side of the island I'd bring it over at the beginning of the season (and bring it back when I come back). Also, if I wasn't going to be out for a few months I would use the trailer as a dry storage. I guess as long as it's doable in an hour or two with a friend then I'd count is "trailerable enough for me." I'm certainly not going to be jumping lakes like some of the folks inland.

I've also found and C&C Mk2 that I'd be curious to get some of your folks' opinions on, but that's an issue for a new thread.
Old 01-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhite View Post
So .... sounds like I should double check the hardware, the outboard and the deck core if I get a chance to see it, in addition to the usual persnicketiness. I've e-mailed the seller for pics of the interior. It's a bit of hike for me to get to where the boat is, so that's not happening for at least a week or so, assuming it's still around.

I wouldn't be trailering the boat regularly. If I was going to be working on the west side of the island I'd bring it over at the beginning of the season (and bring it back when I come back). Also, if I wasn't going to be out for a few months I would use the trailer as a dry storage. I guess as long as it's doable in an hour or two with a friend then I'd count is "trailerable enough for me." I'm certainly not going to be jumping lakes like some of the folks inland.

I've also found and C&C Mk2 that I'd be curious to get some of your folks' opinions on, but that's an issue for a new thread.
You'd have to be very good to put an SJ24 on a trailer in an hour or two. It would take that long to get the rig down if you didn't have a crane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-11-2013

Ah, so I might be thinking in the the wrong terms for portability? I'd be renting a trailer for the drive anyway, so I suppose adding a crane isn't going to break the bank more than I'd be doing anyway. I'll have to call some marinas around here to get a feeling for how much that would be.

Apparently the boat does NOT have an outboard with it - that was sold previously. I'm not sure what the market is like over here for used outboards, but I'll figure it out and add that much to the price in my head.
Old 01-11-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Good luck finding a trailer to rent that would be suitable! And whether you can launch or load the boat has a lot to do with the ramps available. It may not be possible to find a ramp in your area where a boat like that can be trailer-launched.

I would say that you need to decide whether you are going to keep the boat in one place (a dock, mooring, or anchored), or trailer it around. If the former, then don't plan on moving it around. If the latter, then get a boat that has a trailer and that was designed for ramp launching.

And, by the way, I used to own a San Juan 23, so I'm a fan of these boats. It was a great boat for my use. I actually lived on it for about 4 months at one point, did a lot of weekend and week-long trips around Florida, and once took it across to the Bahamas. But my boat had a shallow draft and centerboard. It had a displacement of about 2,700 lbs. I pulled it with a 4WD, half-ton pickup, with a 351ci V8 engine. Without the V8 and 4WD, I would have to have been a lot choosier about which ramps I used for launching and retrieving.

Last edited by denverd0n; 01-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.