Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013

Philo is on a distinguished road
Looking for a Catalina 320, 34 mark ii or 309

I'm currently in the market for a new (to me) sailboat about 12 years old or younger. The boat will be used to sail eastern LI sound. I'm particularly interested in a Catalina 34 or 320, or possibly a 309 or 310. -- although I'm open minded. Yachtworld has less 34's available than you might think (or so it seems) and I thought I'd give a shout out here just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013

ironhors42 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a Catalina 320, 34 mark ii or 309

you can look at sailboatlistings.com. On front page look for your state and click. It will give you all boat for sale in your area.
Old 01-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If the 34 is on your list, don't discount the 36... very little difference in boat size and a different enough layout to give you something to think about.. esp galley-wise

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

The good news is the C34 is a very popular and well built boat with a very loyal ownership base. The bad news is because of this, people tend to hang on to their C34s much longer than the average boat owner and when they do come up for sale, do not last long on the market. Go to the C34ia.org website. There is a message board for listing C34s for sale. There is also a lot of information on the boat, even a listing by year and hull number of practically every C34 made.
Old 01-10-2013

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

That's quite a mix of boats. I am trying to love the 34 but the galley and storage are really making me want a 36.

The 320 has a huge cockpit locker, great cockpit but the doors to the berthes below are tiny to the point that my kids complained getting into the v-berth and aft-berth - it's actually ridiculous. You have to turn sideways to get your shoulders through. Otherwise, this would be high on my list. It has more storage and better galley than the 34 but smaller berths.

Currently looking for my next ride also but nothing has lit me on fire yet. The good ones sell fast so if you are searching Yachtworld.com make sure to focus on more recent listings.
Old 01-10-2013

Philo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
The good news is the C34 is a very popular and well built boat with a very loyal ownership base. The bad news is because of this, people tend to hang on to their C34s much longer than the average boat owner and when they do come up for sale, do not last long on the market. Go to the C34ia.org website. There is a message board for listing C34s for sale. There is also a lot of information on the boat, even a listing by year and hull number of practically every C34 made.
Right good tip, thanks. And yes, I've noted the relative derth of 34s -- that certainly counts in their favor.
Old 01-10-2013

MarkSailor is on a distinguished road

I have had my C320 for about 2 years, and have been happy with it. I like that the cockpit has room for several guests, and also like the walk-through to the swim platform. I haven't felt cramped below, but that is a subjective judgment that probably varies for each owner. (I looked at at a 310 when I was shopping, at it was just enought smaller to make a difference to me.) There is a C320 owners association, at www.catalina320.com, with hull information, etc.

However, the 320 is my first keel boat, and I chose it in part because I thought it was the biggest thing I would feel comfortable singlehanding (which I knew would be lot of my sailing). With more singlehanded sailing under my belt, I think I could have considered the Catalina 36, which does have more room below. If I were doing more cruising I would definitely appreciate the larger head, and larger aft cabin. But if you mostly day-sail (as I do), it may not make a big difference.

Either way you are looking at a good set of choices. Good Luck to you.

Mark Sailor
S/V Reality
C320 Hull #232
Old 01-10-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I have an older C-34 and there is a C-320 at our marina that I've been aboard. I was quite surprised how much more room I had down below than the 320.
if you are considering any Catalina's, definitely spend some time on the individual web sites. The C-34 owners site was a big help when I was in boat search mode and has continued to be a big help in ownership mode.
Old 01-10-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new (to me) sailboat about 12 years old or younger. The boat will be used to sail eastern LI sound. I'm particularly interested in a Catalina 34 or 320, or possibly a 309 or 310. -- although I'm open minded. Yachtworld has less 34's available than you might think (or so it seems) and I thought I'd give a shout out here just in case.
Are you dead set on the age and model (Mk II) of a C34? There are a few older 34s around in the New England area that look to be in pretty good shape. I just bought an '86 this fall, it's in good shape just needs a few things here and there. I expect it to keep me sailing happily for many years to come.
Old 01-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Are you dead set on the age and model (Mk II) of a C34? There are a few older 34s around in the New England area that look to be in pretty good shape. I just bought an '86 this fall, it's in good shape just needs a few things here and there. I expect it to keep me sailing happily for many years to come.
What he said- if you can find one in good shape, don't worry too much about the age as much as how well it has been taken care of. We have had sailboats made out of fiberglass since the 1950's and have yet come to the useful end of life on a fiberglass hull. So I would take a well maintained older boat long before a neglected newer one. A boat can become a money pit in 12 years if not maintained well. Also in 12 years lots of electronics are outdated/worn out. So look for a boat that has been well maintained and updated along the way.

Also I would not fixate on one model of boat, there are lots of others in the same price range such as Beneteau, Hunter and others as well that are just as good for the sound.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.