Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Shoal-draft pocket cruiser recommendations?

Mad-m and Fallard, thanks for your discussion on sailing cat boats - "fishermans' reefing" and "scandalizing" are new nautical terms for me.

And mad-m, thanks as well for your reference to the Oysterman 23 skipjack. Found a 2011 sailnet thread on that boat here:
Menger Oysterman 23

Sounds like the original Oysterman 23 builder from the 1980s, Bill Menger, has retired or gone out of business, and that the molds have been purchased by Thompson Boatworks in Long Island. These boats were few in number and apparently are not easy to find - but they are pretty to look at and (it's said) salty as well, so I'll keep an eye peeled.
Old 01-23-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Bill Menger passed away a number of years ago. He also built catboats, including a 23' using a Sweisguth hull design that had decent interior accommodations, but was not as roomy as the AC24.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisr View Post
You might want to consider the Ericson 25. There is a website devoted to this boat. See especially the four-part article, "Why I Bought the Ericson 25." It covers many of the boats on your list (and more).
Roscoe -
Didn't get around to googling your website until tonight. You've offered a thorough and informative review of your boat search and buying story. Great pix too - thanks!

Your search involved many boats I've also been considering. Obviously you've found your boat and you love her, and in the past few years you've apparently put a lot of thought and love into her keep. I appreciate your insights and your passion.

Though our main foci differ (trailerability is not a prime criterion for me, as it is for you), we have important search priorities in common. My prime considerations are for a boat that moves well in light air, sails well on all points, is easily single-handed, reasonably priced, and is an able gunk-holer, initially for daysailing and weekend cruising in local bays and the Gulf. For me this translates to a keel/centerboard of 23-27' LOA that while not a true blue water boat is still solid enough to take a blow, is modest yet comfortable, and has a certain solid, graceful, traditional, salty aesthetic. Beyond that, it's all about fit and feel.

I've taken my armchair research as far as I can for now, and I've moved on to the process of getting onto as many different boats (OPBs) as I can.

There seem to be deals galore on boats every week, but I'm in no rush. Sooner or later, like you, I'll come across a boat that I know will be (nearly) perfect for me.

BTW thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. You brought to my attention some great boats that I never would have considered or even known about, without your taking the time and effort to post. You've all helped further my understanding greatly. Many thanks, and even if we never meet, I hope one day to pay it forward. SN is awesome. Best to you all!
Old 03-13-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
Roscoe -
Didn't get around to googling your website until tonight. You've offered a thorough and informative review of your boat search and buying story. Great pix too - thanks!

Your search involved many boats I've also been considering. Obviously you've found your boat and you love her, and in the past few years you've apparently put a lot of thought and love into her keep. I appreciate your insights and your passion.

Though our main foci differ (trailerability is not a prime criterion for me, as it is for you), we have important search priorities in common. My prime considerations are for a boat that moves well in light air, sails well on all points, is easily single-handed, reasonably priced, and is an able gunk-holer, initially for daysailing and weekend cruising in local bays and the Gulf. For me this translates to a keel/centerboard of 23-27' LOA that while not a true blue water boat is still solid enough to take a blow, is modest yet comfortable, and has a certain solid, graceful, traditional, salty aesthetic. Beyond that, it's all about fit and feel.

I've taken my armchair research as far as I can for now, and I've moved on to the process of getting onto as many different boats (OPBs) as I can.

There seem to be deals galore on boats every week, but I'm in no rush. Sooner or later, like you, I'll come across a boat that I know will be (nearly) perfect for me.

BTW thanks to all who made suggestions in this thread. You brought to my attention some great boats that I never would have considered or even known about, without your taking the time and effort to post. You've all helped further my understanding greatly. Many thanks, and even if we never meet, I hope one day to pay it forward. SN is awesome. Best to you all!

Joe,

Many thanks for the compliments on my website, and best of luck in your search. As you suggested, I think you'll know your lady when you see her.

Best regards,
Roscoe

ericson 25 dot com
Old 03-15-2013

mattnj is on a distinguished road

Take a look at a Neptune 24 made by Capitol Yachts. Very stout boat that draws 18" with center board up. It has a pop top that gives over 6' headroom. We have had ours since new and love it. We have gone to Catalina Island in it and all over the Sea of Cortez. Always impressed with how tough it is and how much room is squeezed into this size of a boat.