Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Shoal-draft pocket cruiser recommendations?

Newbie here! Decades ago in my teens I sailed dinghies and beach cats on the NJ shore now looking to get back to sailing on the Gulf and ICW near Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg, FL.

Looking for a versatile shoal draft pocket cruiser for shallow local waters. Mostly for day-sailing initially, much of that single-handed or with inexperienced crew, with a few overnights and weekends (1-4 people) tossed in. Ideally, this boat would also have the capacity for longer-range coastal cruising as my skills improve FL west coast to the Keys and Tortugas, and perhaps even to Bimini/Bahamas, and up the US east coast to mid-coast Maine. (I can dream!)

Looking to keep LOA below 27 feet, and minimum draft as close to 2 feet as possible, and preferably even lower. My dock is half-dry at low tide (Ill probably put in a lift and may have to dredge, which affects the budget). The boat must have a swing keel, keel/centerboard, lifting keel, dagger-board, or twin/bilge keel, etc. Boat budget is $5-10K.

While Ive had a few opportunities to crew on 22-28 sloops locally, most of my research to date has been on-line. There are many apparent possibilities. I hope to winnow them down by asking for comments here - particularly from those who have owned or sailed any of the boats listed below.

More cruiser than racer (I dont plan to race):
Catalina 22/25
Com-Pac sloops - 21/23/25, Eclipse
Com-Pac cat boats - Horizon/Suncat
Chrysler 22/26
Morgan 24/25
ODay 22/23/25
Precision 21/23
Rhodes 22
Tanzer 22/7.5/25
West Wight Potter 19
Westerly 22/23/25
Windrose 22/24
Yankee 24 (Sea Horse or Dolphin)

More racer than cruiser (dont mind a fast cruiser with decent accommodations):
Merit 22/25
S2 6.7/6.9/7.9
San Juan 21/23/24/26

From what Ive read and please dont be offended if you own one of these the Hunter and MacGregor/Venture boats are built a little less sturdy than Id prefer.

Would like a low-maintenance boat that sails pretty well at all points of sail, is forgiving of operator error/inexperience, is reasonably comfortable, is fairly fast in light/moderate winds, and is sturdy enough to handle the occasional 25-40 knot winds and 5-8 foot waves that sometimes appear suddenly in the Gulf. Not looking for a boat that requires a lot of owner repairs, replacements, or add-ons (unless a prior owner has done them) Im not that handy.

All that being said, any comments or recommendations on any of the above? Or perhaps another boat not on the list that fits the bill? Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Shoal-draft pocket cruiser recommendations?

Take a look at the Nor'sea 27. Crosses oceans, built like a tank, and can be moved around on her trailer.
sparrowe likes this.
Old 01-11-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks - but it looks like the Nor'sea 27 has a 3'10" draft - too much for local waters here.

Last edited by joebeach; 01-14-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Anytime the pocket cruiser question comes up, I like to endorse the West Wight Potter 19.
Old 01-11-2013
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
I. Acquired my Morgan 24/25 this summer and dearly love it. Steady. Positive helm. Good speed sweet temper and atleast this one is solid as stone. Admittedly getting old but though I am refitting gradually I've kept sailing from the start.and I find the cockpit well laid out..Realistically it draws 3 ft. Loaded up
Old 01-12-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

A Marshall 22 catboat might be worth your consideration, but you'd have to look at the older models to get with $5K of your budget. You may pay more, but these boats tend to depreciate very slowly.

The Marshall 22 (10' beam, 2' draft (board up) and 5660# displacement) was made in both cat- and sloop-rigged versions. There are some examples for sale in the $15k range at CBA: Cats4Sale FALL 2012 Bulletin No.159. Catboats have stood the test of time and are relatively forgiving as long as you reef when you first think about it. They have large cockpits and make great daysailers. They are descendants of working coastal boats of over a hundred years ago and are great in light air, but can handle some pretty rough conditions that would challenge a lighter sloop like a Catalina 22 (which has half the displacement and a much narrower beam.)
Old 01-12-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
Looking for a versatile shoal draft pocket cruiser for shallow local waters. Mostly for day-sailing initially, much of that single-handed or with inexperienced crew, with a few overnights and weekends (1-4 people) tossed in. Ideally, this boat would also have the capacity for longer-range coastal cruising as my skills improve FL west coast to the Keys and Tortugas, and perhaps even to Bimini/Bahamas, and up the US east coast to mid-coast Maine. (I can dream!)

Looking to keep LOA below 27 feet, and minimum draft as close to 2 feet as possible, and preferably even lower. My dock is half-dry at low tide (Ill probably put in a lift and may have to dredge, which affects the budget). The boat must have a swing keel, keel/centerboard, lifting keel, dagger-board, or twin/bilge keel, etc. Boat budget is $5-10K.

More cruiser than racer (I dont plan to race):
Catalina 22/25
Com-Pac sloops - 21/23/25, Eclipse
Com-Pac cat boats - Horizon/Suncat
Chrysler 22/26
Morgan 24/25
ODay 22/23/25
Precision 21/23
Rhodes 22
Tanzer 22/7.5/25
West Wight Potter 19
Westerly 22/23/25
Windrose 22/24
Yankee 24 (Sea Horse or Dolphin)

More racer than cruiser (dont mind a fast cruiser with decent accommodations):
Merit 22/25
S2 6.7/6.9/7.9
San Juan 21/23/24/26

From what Ive read and please dont be offended if you own one of these the Hunter and MacGregor/Venture boats are built a little less sturdy than Id prefer.

Would like a low-maintenance boat that sails pretty well at all points of sail, is forgiving of operator error/inexperience, is reasonably comfortable, is fairly fast in light/moderate winds, and is sturdy enough to handle the occasional 25-40 knot winds and 5-8 foot waves that sometimes appear suddenly in the Gulf. Not looking for a boat that requires a lot of owner repairs, replacements, or add-ons (unless a prior owner has done them) Im not that handy.

All that being said, any comments or recommendations on any of the above? Or perhaps another boat not on the list that fits the bill? Many thanks in advance!
You've got a good list here, but you won't find a Tanzer 25 drawing 2' or less, although it would be my choice for heading to the tortugas or bahamas of the boats on your list. Same with the westerlys,although the twin keels may solve your tidal issues.
Find the best boat on your list for $5K. No more.
Yeah, I know, you've got a $10K ceiling, but you really don't. EVERY boat you buy will want something,or you will want to throw something at it,so you gotta figure that in,and human nature rears it's ugly head because everyone always exceeds their boatbuying budget. Always. If you think you have $10K you spend $12, because well, what the hell, you're already spending $10K.

I know,I know, you're different.
Everybody thinks they are.
Plus there all sorts of sneaky hidden costs like tax and registration and trailer bearings and Murphy has his shopping list too. This is your first boat- you need to have an "oh, fudge" fund because you will quickly discover that cheap stuff floatsm but expensive stuff sinks when it falls off your boat. And it will.
The difference between a great first sailing season and a lousy unfun first sailing season is that reserve budget. Getting that drowned outboard rebuilt isn't such a big deal when its' in the budget, for example.

Have fun, and we'll see you on the water.
oysterman23 and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road

Canadian Sailcraft 22.
Old 01-12-2013
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

joebeach, Remembering that interior space increases exponentially with length in a sailboat, I would try to get as close to your maximum length as meets the rest of your criteria, and I would closely examine my criteria that is not dictated by circumstances beyond my control. Also, remember that repairs and upgrades are very expensive, so try to purchase a vessel that has as much of what you want already incorporated. gts1544 PS - I used to own a Morgan 24/25 and loved that boat, but would feel pretty cramped on her today with more than myself aboard.
oysterman23 likes this.

Last edited by gts1544; 01-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road

You might want to consider the Ericson 25. There is a website devoted to this boat. See especially the four-part article, "Why I Bought the Ericson 25." It covers many of the boats on your list (and more).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.