Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat

I think the Passport 40 (V berth layout) fits your bill with the only serious exception is the forward facing nav table.

There are a variety of layouts, however, we've spent some time on the V berth layout version with the full U shaped dinette, my wife and I used the aft cabin, it was fine. Even has an under-seat 'ensuite' head... Galley is pretty impressive, rock solid under way, skeg, long fin, goes nicely to weather too - surprisingly so I thought.

Either way the one thing you're going to give up/miss when losing the C&C, esp if you don't modify the rudder requirement, is the ability to back into slips and fairways.... IMO that's not a minor issue, esp if stopping at a lot of unfamiliar marinas along the way.
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think the Passport 40 (V berth layout) fits your bill with the only serious exception is the forward facing nav table.

There are a variety of layouts, however, we've spent some time on the V berth layout version with the full U shaped dinette, my wife and I used the aft cabin, it was fine. Even has an under-seat 'ensuite' head... Galley is pretty impressive, rock solid under way, skeg, long fin, goes nicely to weather too - surprisingly so I thought.

Either way the one thing you're going to give up/miss when losing the C&C, esp if you don't modify the rudder requirement, is the ability to back into slips and fairways.... IMO that's not a minor issue, esp if stopping at a lot of unfamiliar marinas along the way.
I like the passports

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Passport 40
Old 01-16-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

My dock neighbor is selling his passport 40 that seems to meet many of your criteria and is comfortably in your price point: 1989 Passport 40 AC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com He's generally cared for the boat well, selling due to health issues.

if you look closely at one of the pix of the boat in its slip, you'll see us next door under the shrink wrap
T37Chef and jameswilson29 like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
My dock neighbor is selling his passport 40 that seems to meet many of your criteria and is comfortably in your price point: 1989 Passport 40 AC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com He's generally cared for the boat well, selling due to health issues.

if you look closely at one of the pix of the boat in its slip, you'll see us next door under the shrink wrap
Interesting, that listing is the same layout as the one we've been on, except the engine sits higher in the boat.. hence the large engine box/table that makes the dinette an "L" rather than a "U". The Perkins on our friends' sits low enough to be under the dinette seat - I'm guessing engine access is better here.

This listing is also missing the 'eyebrow trim' on the cabin top - that's a plus (difficult to keep looking nice) The only other thing I generally don't like is the tiled countertops, but the rest looks pretty nice. You could do a lot worse, Dave...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Interesting, that listing is the same layout as the one we've been on, except the engine sits higher in the boat.. hence the large engine box/table that makes the dinette an "L" rather than a "U". The Perkins on our friends' sits low enough to be under the dinette seat - I'm guessing engine access is better here.

This listing is also missing the 'eyebrow trim' on the cabin top - that's a plus (difficult to keep looking nice) The only other thing I generally don't like is the tiled countertops, but the rest looks pretty nice. You could do a lot worse, Dave...
Yes, the engine location is kind of cool and after seeing how clean Chef's engine is he could use it as a warming cabinet for food waiting to be served! throw in some surplus scraps of some nice quartz counter top and you would be set.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post

She is a beauty although a tad overpriced. looks well takemn care of. I will look at her. Still has that damn black iron fuel tank.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yes, the engine location is kind of cool and after seeing how clean Chef's engine is he could use it as a warming cabinet for food waiting to be served! throw in some surplus scraps of some nice quartz counter top and you would be set.
Ha....to funny. I like the engine location. Some like on the HC 43 complain of deisel smell though

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 01-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ha....to funny. I like the engine location. Some like on the HC 43 complain of deisel smell though
I would think there would be no more smell from that if kept clean and free of leaks, as I am sure you would. I could see getting sound insulation being an issue though as the panels look to be tight on the engine. That is a very nice boat, are the "iron" tanks under the floors, or are they more assessable than say an Island Packet?

I agree she does look a bit overpriced, about 50,000 more than all the other listings. Looking at the ones with teak decks, there really is not a lot of deck on these as the coach roof goes quite far forward. I think it looks good without it.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 01-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Protected Rudder
No full keel
No volvo engine
Sailplan including either two head furlers or detachable forestay
V berth and at least a double aft berth
Safe U shaped galley
24000 lbs or more
Lead Keel
AC and genset ( or room for one)
Espar heater
Comfortable salon plan for 2- no curved settes
Foreward facing Nav station
Top and front facing refeer and freezer
2 propane lockers
Davits or avaialability to install them
55 or greater HP engine no more than 2500 hrs
Dual racor filtering
Good windlass
Solar Panels
720 ah elctrical dc
Good inverter and battery monitor- can be added
Good charplotter- can be added
hearty autopilot- can be added
Good engine acccess on all sides
40 gallon holding tank with Y valve and mascerator
At least 8 opening ports
At least 4 opening hatches
Wood not lalminate interior
Little wood trim topside
Sailing abiliity phrf abive 50% of similar boats to windward
Draft 6 ft
Mast height less than 63 feet

Thats a lot of specs....hahha I am picky thats what has taken me so long.

Dave, if we take out these little phrases: 2Sailplan including either two head furlers or detachable forestay...Sailing abiliity phrf above 50% of similar boats to windward", we could be talking about a motor boat.

I guess that basically in what regards cruising one of the main points is how much sailing versus motoring you are going to do and that is an important point since diesel is expensive and it will be more in the future. I guess this should be the starting point for someone that wants a sailboat for cruising and just not to live in it and I know it would not be your case.

Basically if you want to follow the trade winds almost any boat will do. If not and you want more flexibility your choice will be a lot narrow and the difference to boats that actually can sail with 6K winds will be huge in what regards sailing time versus motoring. I am not talking about speed, just sailing instead of motoring.

Another point I have doubts is this one: "24000 lbs or more" I guess it relates with stability and motion comfort but the weight, even if it counts for stability (and motion comfort) is not the only factor and you can have boats with substantial less weight with a better stability than one with that weight.

And finaly I am quite sure this is not a good idea: "I am not afraid of older boats if in good condition as good boats last 60 years at least."...sure this will not be important if you just live in the boat, sail it locally and with good weather but I think you want a bluewater boat and will sail it plenty offshore. Putting an old boat in a sailing condition of a 5 year old boat will coast you a lot and you will have a maintenance issues all the time, not meaning problems but always things to take care and substitute.

A car can also last more than 60 years, the reason you dump them is because their performance is outdated and because it would cost a fortune maintaining it in perfect working order.

About your long list nobody never gets exactly what he wants. The best is to make a priority list, some things will only be preferences other will be deal breakers...and regarding that, what performance you would want on your sailing boat, not regarding speed but regarding the ability to sail with light winds would be an important one because this will define the type of sailingboat.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.