SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/95737-last-boat-time-look-end-game-cruising-boat.html)

chef2sail 01-14-2013 08:01 PM

Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat

OK its the bottom of the ninth. Kids are grown...end of the careers is in site. You are approaching 60. You are looking for your very last sailboat. You have $250,000 to spend for the total ( outfitting included).

The cruising will be just you and your wife and the furthest you may go is 4-5 months at a time and to the Galapagos Islands from Annapolis Maryland. So north to Canada and South to Panama is the range. returning home to the Chesapeake most springs.

You have sailed for 30 years in proressively larger keel boats and have a older 35ft racer/ cruiser. You like performace sailing, but are willing to sacrifice some of the racing speed for comfort, but do not want to fall less than the 50% mark in terms of speed. You have done plenty of blue water sailing , but predominatly are a coastal cruiser now.

What would you buy and why?

miatapaul 01-14-2013 10:19 PM

I think I might go with a nice C&C 35. Good performance and comfortable. Oh and you have one!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bljones 01-14-2013 11:11 PM

Re: Last Boat- Time to look at the end game Cruising Boat

Buy a Nonsuch 36, and put $150 000 in the bank.
better yet, buy two and save the north/south slog every spring and fall. Site one on the Chesapeake and one in the BVI.
Nothing performs to windward like a Boeing.

chef2sail 01-15-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 975670)
Buy a Nonsuch 36, and put $150 000 in the bank.
better yet, buy two and save the north/south slog every spring and fall. Site one on the Chesapeake and one in the BVI.
Nothing performs to windward like a Boeing.

2 big bat wings huh, with the mast at the bow.....hmmm:)

jimjazzdad 01-15-2013 06:04 AM

According to the criteria Chef gave, I already bought my last boat a decade ago! My 'last boat criteria' is: approaching mid-seventies, balance, vision and hearing not what they used to be. Kids don't give a damn about the boat. Want to sell the house and downsize to a condo or apartment. Pilothouse motor sailor? Cruising catamaran? Or swallow hard and get a trawler yacht? Decisions, decisions...

jameswilson29 01-15-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 975558)

What would you buy and why?

Valiant 40, of course (without hull blisters) and I will take your current boat.:)

Minnewaska 01-15-2013 07:26 AM

Hey Chef,

If I pick out your personal experience/qualifications, which don't limit you, I'm left with $250k, predominantly coastal cruising, and not a full on racer, but fast enough.

Can you give us any more? That seems to qualify every boat under $250k that doesn't sail like it was dragging an anchor. It might even help if you describe what you mean by comfort. Do you want max room down below or in the cockpit, or are you looking for some creature comforts, like A/C and a requisite genset locker.

jsaronson 01-15-2013 07:46 AM

Dave, not sure which boat, but I'd want an aft cabin for extended cruising. Maybe a Passport. Hate to lose you from the C&C family!

BubbleheadMd 01-15-2013 08:14 AM

Dufour 40E or a Perry Nordic 44.

chef2sail 01-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 975779)
Hey Chef,

If I pick out your personal experience/qualifications, which don't limit you, I'm left with $250k, predominantly coastal cruising, and not a full on racer, but fast enough.

Can you give us any more? That seems to qualify every boat under $250k that doesn't sail like it was dragging an anchor. It might even help if you describe what you mean by comfort. Do you want max room down below or in the cockpit, or are you looking for some creature comforts, like A/C and a requisite genset locker.

Protected Rudder
No full keel
No volvo engine
Sailplan including either two head furlers or detachable forestay
V berth and at least a double aft berth
Safe U shaped galley
24000 lbs or more
Lead Keel
AC and genset ( or room for one)
Espar heater
Comfortable salon plan for 2- no curved settes
Foreward facing Nav station
Top and front facing refeer and freezer
2 propane lockers
Davits or avaialability to install them
55 or greater HP engine no more than 2500 hrs
Dual racor filtering
Good windlass
Solar Panels
720 ah elctrical dc
Good inverter and battery monitor- can be added
Good charplotter- can be added
hearty autopilot- can be added
Good engine acccess on all sides
40 gallon holding tank with Y valve and mascerator
At least 8 opening ports
At least 4 opening hatches
Wood not lalminate interior
Little wood trim topside
Sailing abiliity phrf abive 50% of similar boats to windward
Draft 6 ft
Mast height less than 63 feet

Thats a lot of specs....hahha I am picky thats what has taken me so long.

It will only be my wife and I so only one head is fine. Salon must be comfortable for hanginkg out and reading in. Could be barrel chairs like older Bristols

The boats that have interested us have been Mason 44, Hans Chrisian Christina 43, bistol 41.1 and 45.5. Saga 43. But maybe there are others out there thats why I am asking. I am not afraid of older boats if in good condition as good boats last 60 years at least.