Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Why I like a full keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
Sad story-about a month ago a fellow that lived aboard his Endeavor on the Merrimac disappeared and is thought to have drowned. His dog was found tied to a tree, his dingy swamped and his cell phone on the cabin table. Extensive search of the river found no body. I'd spoken to him weeks before about his cruising dreams. Went to look at his boat hauled in a parking lot and observed the mooring line wrapped around his prop. I could imagine him leaning out of his dink trying to disentangle the line from his prop and falling in. Current is too fast to swim against and the water too cold to survive.

For all the extra speed and pointing ability you get with a deep fin, I'd not trade it for the security of a protected prop in an aperture.
I am at lost here. Did you mean, we should
1. Avoid mooring line,
2. Avoid mooring line in the water
3. Avoid having an engine
4. Avoid cold weather
5. Avoid current
6. Avoid winter
7. Avoid sailing all together.
8. Wear PDF and tethering

But I can't connect fin keel vs full keel.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The only boats that I ever caught a line on the prop was my 1939 Stadel Cutter which could not have had a fuller keel. So much for that theory and false sense of security.
So are you implying that you have just as much of a chance of catching a line in a fin keel boat as you have with a full keel boat?
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

in an ideal world.. the line would be pulled taught and would slide over a full keel and behind the boat.. where as a fin keel it would slide over the keel and then slap against the bottom of the boat before hitting the screw...

sadly, we do not live in an ideal world and most lines you snag are slack

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Totally stalled out my engine on my full keel with a bunch of kelp I happily powered through, though I'll admit it never picked anything up under sail.

Old 01-23-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

What about when not motoring? I would think it, then, would be more likely to glide over things with a protected prop.
Old 01-23-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
What about when not motoring? I would think it, then, would be more likely to glide over things with a protected prop.
Yes, it is far, far less likely to snag a line with a prop on a full keel than on a fin keel. That is true whether motoring or sailing. It is still possible to snag a prop, so you should steer clear of pots when you see them, but if you do run over a trap, it is exceedingly unlikely the line will catch as compared to an exposed prop.

People here are confusing what is possible with what is probable.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 01-23-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I would argue that the probability of catching a line is more dependent on the specific design of the boat than its keel type. As a broad generality, it would be easy to argue that it is equally probable to catch a line on a full keel boat as on a fin keel boat. Its about the geometry. On a full keel the propeller is closer to the bottom of the keel and a line being dragged will lay back along the side of the full keel with now where else to go, and therefore have a greater percentage of a chance of getting caught.

On a many fin keels, the leading edge angle is similar to that of a full keel, yet the line is more likely to miss the prop since there is a longer distance between the root and the keel tip and there is a greater separation between the keel and the prop.

Now then, if you are talking about some of the newer vertical edge fins with bulbs on the bottom, or a fin keel with a sail drive, those designs probably are more prone to getting a line in their prop.

And yes I know that full keel types still believe the old saw that full keels do not catch lines, or foul their props, or damage their rudders as easily, but that does not make those superstitions true.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-23-2013

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road

I'm not as experienced as some here-I've only had 30 years of sailing Maine, but the assertion that a full keel is equally likely to foul as a fin is ridiculous in the extreme. I don't even bother to try to avoid the pots anymore as I've not snagged one in recent memory. I have snagged them with another design with an exposed prop. Many passages here are heavily crisscrossed with pots and they are almost unavoidable. Many times I cross them at night. Look at the image of the Bristol 27 two posts back. How can that possibly be as likely to catch a pot warp as a fin keeler with seperate rudder and exposed prop?
jameso likes this.
Old 01-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

wrecked a maxprop on a psc 34 picking up a line in a mooring field.Ouch hurt the pocketbook. First time in 30+ years wrecked a prop. best advice I got long ago was if about to go over line or pick up a line put it neutral right away. Ideally prop shouldn't be spinning. Have some form of line cutter installed. there's a device ( don't remember where to get it) which is a sharp metal v. it has a edge on the inside and is attached to a pole. it allows you to cut away the line from your deck most times. ( depends on your beam and where te prop/strut is). Captain's ?
think it's obvious folding prop when folded is least likely to pick up lines with feathering next and fixed most at danger. thnk prop as important as keel. think all sailboats at risk . see them in the middle of Mass Bay, bouyed channels. don't need to go to Maine.would love harbormasters to at least clear the channels. Plymouth MA real bad

Last edited by outbound; 01-23-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
...... I don't even bother to try to avoid the pots anymore as I've not snagged one in recent memory......
My Grandmother smoked until she died at 96 of natural causes. Just because smoking didn't kill her, doesn't mean everyone should smoke.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.