Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road
Why I like a full keel

Sad story-about a month ago a fellow that lived aboard his Endeavor on the Merrimac disappeared and is thought to have drowned. His dog was found tied to a tree, his dingy swamped and his cell phone on the cabin table. Extensive search of the river found no body. I'd spoken to him weeks before about his cruising dreams. Went to look at his boat hauled in a parking lot and observed the mooring line wrapped around his prop. I could imagine him leaning out of his dink trying to disentangle the line from his prop and falling in. Current is too fast to swim against and the water too cold to survive.

For all the extra speed and pointing ability you get with a deep fin, I'd not trade it for the security of a protected prop in an aperture.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Why I like a full keel

Granted my full exposed prop is easier to wrap a rope/line around it than a full keel........BUT, ANY moving thing like a prop, lawn mower blade etal, no matter how protected, can and will get things in it, and will fail. The question at the end of the day, is how much chance does one have of having this failure, and how does one protect themselves from this failure?

At the end of the day, this allows multiple of boat designs, styles etc to be on the market, to fit yours and my needs. For how and where I sail, a full keel is not what I call fun, a fin, CB, dagger board boat that can plane at times, go over hull speed with out thinking twice etc is why I sail. many like myself will take the little bit of extra chance that a line will foul a prop etc. Then again, I do not live in an area with too many crab/lobster pots, but they do exist. I have seen and heard of more issues with large logs/dead heads etc here in puget sound than lines. Or when you do find a shallow, it is usually VERY solid!

Marty
Old 01-17-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

We had a full keel boat that caught a crab trap on a cold November day. Just sayin....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Years ago, when I was a mere child, we had a horrific drowning here at a Marina my father worked at. Guy was drunk and in the middle of the night, fell between the boat and the dock and landed waist deep in the thick mud that covers the bottom of the back bays here in NJ. To judge by the marks on his boat.. as the tide came up, he was scratching and clawing for he was worth to get aboard.

Sadly they found him in the next day when the tide went back down.

We can only guess that a full keel boat may have prevented that death as it would need more depth at it's slip.

But back to the Original Topic. a spinning prop is a magnet for lines.. you could have it totally shrouded and it would still find a way to suck a line in and wrap it tight.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 01-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
We can only guess that a full keel boat may have prevented that death as it would need more depth at it's slip.

What does the style of a keel have to do with its depth?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A spurs line cutter is no guarantee, but it will do wonders. I know first hand, as I grabbed a line about 30nm off Boston a couple of years back in the month of June. That would have been a nasty place to have to go in the water. I had to go to neutral and then reverse to get it to cut, but it chunked right off. Thank goodness!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-21-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Several years ago on the west coast of Vancouver Island (entrance channel to Tofino for those who know the area) a guy that had anchored near us caught a crab trap line in his prop. Full keel, prop in an aperture (Cape George 36). He was in the water for two hours cutting the wadded up line out. No guarantees. This very experienced sailor also ran aground twice that same day and spent a couple hours battling 20+' seas before coming back to the anchorage. Bad day.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
Sad story-about a month ago a fellow that lived aboard his Endeavor on the Merrimac disappeared and is thought to have drowned. His dog was found tied to a tree, his dingy swamped and his cell phone on the cabin table. Extensive search of the river found no body. I'd spoken to him weeks before about his cruising dreams. Went to look at his boat hauled in a parking lot and observed the mooring line wrapped around his prop. I could imagine him leaning out of his dink trying to disentangle the line from his prop and falling in. Current is too fast to swim against and the water too cold to survive.

For all the extra speed and pointing ability you get with a deep fin, I'd not trade it for the security of a protected prop in an aperture.
The only boats that I ever caught a line on the prop was my 1939 Stadel Cutter which could not have had a fuller keel. So much for that theory and false sense of security.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-21-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

This is one of many reasons my boat has no engine
Classic30, davidpm and outbound like this.

Old 01-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
This is one of many reasons my boat has no engine
We got a winner here

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.