SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Falmouth Cutter 22 vs Allegra 24 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/95820-falmouth-cutter-22-vs-allegra-24-a.html)

castorp 01-17-2013 09:43 AM

Falmouth Cutter 22 vs Allegra 24

Ahoy all,
I'm on the prowl for "the right boat" to the tune of either a Falmouth Cutter or an Allegra 24 and am curious to hear the collective wisdom to the effect of: if you had to choose one, which would it be and why?
Many thanks!

SloopJonB 01-17-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Falmouth Cutter 22 vs Allegra 24

I'd choose the Falmouth simply because I love their looks. I think the Allegra has a much more spacious interior though so if you plan on spending a lot of time living on board it's probably the better choice.

As for sailing qualities and so forth, I imagine it's pretty much a wash. Both are reputed to be extremely sturdy boats, suitable for "minimum" offshore sailing.

kwaltersmi 01-18-2013 12:48 PM

I really like both boats and think they are each capable of more than most boats their size and several that are much larger. I haven't sailed either, but I've been aboard at the dock and think the FC22 has an amazing use of space in the cabin for such a short on-deck length. I also think the Morse-built boats show top-notch build quality and they'd be my choice among these boats.

Incidentally, I included both of these in my round up of pocket cruisers found here.

castorp 01-18-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 977618)
I really like both boats and think they are each capable of more than most boats their size and several that are much larger. I haven't sailed either, but I've been aboard at the dock and think the FC22 has an amazing use of space in the cabin for such a short on-deck length. I also think the Morse-built boats show top-notch build quality and they'd be my choice among these boats.

Incidentally, I included both of these in my round up of pocket cruisers found here.

Many thanks for the feedback, kwalersmi, as well as for the link to your excellent write-up on pocket cruisers!

copacabana 01-19-2013 11:11 AM

Here is an excellent blog written by a Falmouth 22 liveaboard owner preparing to go cruising. He writes very well and has many entries about his boat and upgrades. Personally, I think the Falmouth 22 is just about the only 22 foot boat that could be lived on and cruised. It's a pretty roomy boat and quite seaworthy.

Art Of Hookie

Rhapsody-NS27 01-19-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copacabana (Post 977984)
I think the Falmouth 22 is just about the only 22 foot boat that could be lived on and cruised.

I've heard the same thing said about the Pacific Seacraft Flicka and it's only 20ft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by copacabana (Post 977984)

I've read that blog and there's some good info on there. I haven't seen any other owner related info on the Falmouth 22 but I do know they're really sought after with a good reputation.