Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013

mandomexi is on a distinguished road
Buying a sailboat abroad...Most likely Greece

I've been trolling the internet for sailboat all over the world. One fact hold true, no matter what site I look at, buying overseas, mainly in and around the mediterranean, is the place to find great deals. I have alot of concerns but the main ones are the extra costs associated with bringing it state side, after crusing it for a year or two, and possible shady dealings in that part of the world.

Its hard not to concider buying over there when the savings could be upwords of 40k+. Does any one have any experiance with this?

FYI;
I've been looking at Monohulls between 37-47ft no more than 20 years old.

I'm not rich so I've only been able to save up about 100K. Thats the range of what I've been looking at. I could most likely finance an extra 50k but I wouldn't have to if I bought overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a sailboat abroad...Most likely Greece

One of the members here, chuteman, might offer suggestions. He just recently shipped his Beneteau from the Med to the BVI and the costs involved are not insignificant and I believe they more than make up for any savings made by buying abroad. The pricing for production boats are pretty aggressive in the BVI and, in the price range you are looking at, the shipping costs could be 20-30% of your purchase price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2013

Thank you! After navigating the site a little more, I found some posts that basically reiterated what you posted above. As is usaually the case if its to good to be true then most time it is.

I also found out that alot of the reason behind the lower cost is due to the charter business in that area, which also mean more wear and tear.

So I've started leaning towards a 1990-1997 37 Hunter between $60,000-$90,000. I would love something bigger but everything I keep reading say as a beginner I should start off with something smaller. 37 seems like a good compromise. Not to big not to small. Now that I'm so close its all I can think about. I can't wait to be a bonafide liveaboard "Cruiser".

If you have any input on something other than the Hunter 37 negetive or positive please let me know?
Old 01-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The size boat for your first is highly dependent on your aptitude and commitment to training. I've disagreed with those that say its mandatory to start sailing dinghies and progressively work your way up. True to a degree, but fighter pilots are solo in a supersonic jet in fewer hours than the average private pilot takes to step up to retractable landing gear. It's training, discipline and aptitude.

Glad you've abandon the import idea. It can be very expensive. I have a buddy that imported from Europe and has spent $100k to refit, not all planned. Transport is roughly $30k and that does not include your trip there to see the boat before you buy.

Search within a few days of sailing to your home port. Paying a delivery skipper to bring her to you is not very expensive.

Good luck. Tons of boat for sale and there will likely be many more as the spring approaches.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-23-2013

Thank you, I've actually spotted a Jeanneau in my area that has my heart singing but I really don't know that much about it. Thank you again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.