Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013

gnusailor is on a distinguished road
What a ride!!

First thing I want to say is how thankful I am to all who have responded to my posts and the wisdom passed along. I have decided that used boat buying is worse than used car buying... at least your first! Actually, 2nd (bought a Mutt to learn to sail). All the stages... boat-lust, over confidence, etc. etc. etc. were just as described.
So, what was my experience, you might ask Or not..)???
I first read much about boats, boat buying, what to look for, what not to ignore and armed with all this and the hints passed along here and on other blogs, I found my true love... an O'Day 22 on craigslist. It has been there for some time and had dropped in price from $3500.. to $3000... and most recently to $1500 wow, what a steal!!! I convinced myself that this was the boat for me! First look... not too much wrong a good deal!
... then the second look... hmmm beneath the makeup, a few wrinkles. Taking some advice from here, I asked a person more knowledgeable than me (not necessarily a recommendation since I know very little) to look it over, and he did. Gave me some good information and suggestions...
I decided to let It rest for a while, since I won't be sailing anytime soon in NM.
After a month of lusting, loving, dreaming, imagining I went back and took a much more in depth look. Well... what a difference a cooling period makes! The boat as stated does have some possibilities but add on the replacement of lines, standing rigging, cushions, outboard, paint and fiberglass repairs and wow... my $1500 boat looks a lot more like a $4000 boat ! and then I looked at the trailer... rusted, but not too bad, needs new tires, wheels (bearings??) some other work and then.... the warped frame ... looks like the boat sat too far forward so the weight of the keel was well forward of the wheels and I don't think this trailer was for this boat. So, reluctantly, I sent off the email explaining that I wasn't going to make an offer. (I suppose I could have told her I would take if off her hands for nothing if she wanted to get rid of it???) What liberation, and now I am free to do this all again, but with a bit more experience and your wisdom applied... Thanks

Oh.... anyone know where a good O'Day 22 to 25 is, close to NM, and cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: What a ride!!

Well, good for you Gnu! I'm sure you made the right choice, well, many choices actually.

All the little things that were not right or questionable were choices to be made along the way. I don't remember you mentioning that the trailer members were bent or badly rusted but I do recall that the hull had been indented from one of the trailer bunks.

You could not buy a brand new trailer for less than the price of the boat. Even a used replacement trailer would hardly be free or cheap. All the smaller items add up quickly. You could still let the seller know that you liked the boat except for ... .

Buying a used boat is definitely much more complicated than buying a used car, especially a trailer sailor. If the trailer is not up to it's job than the whole package just is not really there, is it?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Good call, gnu.
Too often we hear from someone who has just bought their first boat! and they are happy! but they have some questions! and....
there is no more ! now there is just .

Take your time. At the risk of sounding like Mike Brady, take the time to, first, find the right boat, not find the first boat, right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2013

gnusailor is on a distinguished road
Whew!

Actually, although there was rust on the trailer, there were no rust-thru's. I hadn't noticed the deformity of the trailer until my last visit... glad I did, tho. When I wrote her (the owner) I listed the reasons why I wasn't making an offer and thanked her for allowing me to study the boat... I though that was the classy thing to do :-) .
Old 01-28-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Good Form...There are plenty more out there so keep looking

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.