SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (
-   -   Canada to US purchase/transfer (

jfdubu 01-27-2013 12:59 PM

Canada to US purchase/transfer
I''m looking to "grow" my boat from 28 to 34-35 ft. There are a number of boats I'm looking at and a couple that are in Canada.
Question, What are the hurdles to avoid with the customs and paperwork? I see on the this site that the US-Canada process is covered but not the other way around. I'm also 99% sure I will have it trucked.

Also is it possible to get CG documentation for a boat purchased in Canada?

Thanks, John

Faster 01-27-2013 01:32 PM

Re: Canada to US purchase/transfer
Perhaps send a PM to SNer djodenda... He did just that a few years back. I don't think it's a big deal, certainly coming the other way is straightforward enough.

MikeOReilly 01-27-2013 03:03 PM

Re: Canada to US purchase/transfer
I recently went the other way (US to Canada), and it was a pretty painless exercise -- other than having to pay the HST ;). I would expect the process to be equally easy going the other way, but here's a link that might get you started.

One thing to note, if the boat was not made in the NAFTA zone (Canada, US or Mexico) then you may be on the hook for import duties. Coming to Canada that would have been an extra 9.5% for us.

millerandy 01-27-2013 03:37 PM

Re: Canada to US purchase/transfer
I did it last spring, although on a much smaller scale. I used a customs broker since I couldn't be at the border to receive the boat. My biggest nightmare was dealing with the shipper (who brokered out the delivery). The guy who actually did truck the boat and trailer was terrific and evidently makes the trip from Canada weekly. All that said, it was a fairly inexpensive and painless process just using the customs broker. They walk you through all the steps for a small fee. BTW the trucker was Dave at Bothwell Boatworks.


sck5 01-27-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Canada to US purchase/transfer
IF the boat was manufactured within the NAFTA zone (ie. in either Canada or the USA) then you dont need to pay import duty when you bring it to the US.

You can document it in the US before you bring it here.

You will owe tax in whatever state you bring it to as a home port. But not until you are there long enough to trigger the state's rules (could be 30 days could be more)

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome