Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013
Joe

joseph221980 is on a distinguished road
Looking to find large group to buy boat

I'm looking for 20-25 people that wants to go in and buy a new or newer sailboat. Since there would be so many owners it would be good to make some groups. I'm looking for a 35-45ft beneteau or Jeanneau. I'm also open to finding 4-5 guys and looking for one that some one already owns and seeing if they want to lease. Put the boat somewhere on the east coast. Send me a message if your interested.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to find large group to buy boat

You will need to find people who play well with others.
Old 01-27-2013
Joe

Split em up and let make choices on what they want to do.
Old 01-27-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

20-25????? That's like 2 weeks use per year pp.
Old 01-27-2013
Joe

Not if you got 4-5 owners on the boat at once.
Old 01-27-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

You'll need a good lawyer.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-27-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Too many roosters in the hen house. That would be too many captains.
Old 01-27-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I'm usually the sole person in the crowd saying "partnerships can work", mostly because I've had positive experiences with them in the past (with airplanes though, not boats). In this case though, I think you are expecting a bit much. The short of it is, IMO you'd be better off buying the boat on a loan, finding 20 people that want to rent it regularly, and rent it out to pay off the loan.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find 20-25 people that want to buy into a boat that they have to compete against 20-25 other people to use. They'd be better off taking their investment and renting someone else's boat, the price would be about the same, they wouldn't have to worry about recurring expenses, and scheduling would probably be easier. You run into all sorts of issues when people put a financial stake into something and they can never use it on their own, not to mention the resource management problems you come into when you have 5 "owners" on the boat all wanting to operate it differently.

Also, keep in mind that when partnerships run into roadblocks, whether with 2 people or 50, it's the shared assets that suffer. I can take you to our local airport or marina and show you plenty of boats and airplanes rotting because their owners couldn't agree or get along. The chances of this type of situation happening increase with the number of people in the partnership, as finding that many people who are willing to agree on how things should be done becomes more difficult.

I should also point out that on more expensive boats, repairs and parts are more expensive. If you buy a $100k boat with a $4k buy-in, you are going to eventually run into problems where repairs have to happen, but the owners got in over their heads and can't afford it. The effect of this is compounded if the owners haven't been able to use the boat they want to.

In my situation, I had a group of 4 partners who owned an airplane. We all agreed on how things should be done, we worked well together, our scheduling went great, and we generally enjoyed being around each other. We had awkward moments and disagreements, but the partnership succeeded because we had a strong enough relationship to make it work. We knew each other beforehand and spent a lot of time nurturing that relationship though. There is no way you'd accomplish that with 20-25 people.

Just my advice. I'd sell 1/2 my boat in a heartbeat if I knew someone that would buy it, not for the money but for the relationship that comes out of it, but these things get tricky and they get trickier with more money and more people.
Old 01-27-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Heck, you could perhaps find * hundreds * of people to share the boat if you go to someplace such as Haiti.
Old 01-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
I'm looking for 20-25 people that wants to go in and buy a new or newer sailboat. Since there would be so many owners it would be good to make some groups. I'm looking for a 35-45ft beneteau or Jeanneau. I'm also open to finding 4-5 guys and looking for one that some one already owns and seeing if they want to lease. Put the boat somewhere on the east coast. Send me a message if your interested.
Why reinvent the wheel rather than simply looking into/joining one of the existing programs, e.g. Beneteau Fractional Yachting?
chucklesR and jameswilson29 like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Tags
beneteau