Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Recommend for trailer sailer with a real head?

One foot larger than the OP requested.
Seward 26
26RK

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

TES 24 from TES Yacht, but oldest one would only be about 8 yrs old. Centreboard, beach-able, with enclosed head compartment. They are sold in Canada with either full marine head w/holding tank or porta-potti version.

TES Yacht
Old 01-30-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

bobmcgov - Thanks for the mocking it out suggestion, I will definitely do that prior to purchasing something different, as headroom could be an issue with the Airhead (one of the first things I thought of when I saw them, actually). I went back and looked at my boat after the show and decided that I THOUGHT it would work, but its better to be sure. As to the 6.9: Yeah, if it were closer to me and if I had seen it before I found my 7.9 (which kind of fell into my lap..) I may have considered it (or at least gone and looked at it). A 21ft boat would certainly be easier to trailer, but it wouldn't have been as big of an upgrade over the 17.5 foot boat we already had. I'm very happy with the 7.9 so far (...of course, I haven't actually SAILED it yet, so I'll reserve final judgement for this spring!)
Old 01-30-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Pacific Seacraft Flicka. Some, not all, have an actual head.

Cape Dory 25s and Bayfield 25s, I think, have heads.

Good luck

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 01-30-2013

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

Nice shot of a Rhodes 22 head compartment with a "real" marine toilet setup here:

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/WHITE1.jpg

Actually, while a lot of trailer sailors have portable toilets, a number of them were designed to allow a real marine head and holding tank. These were offered as optional equipment that many (most?) owners did not order with their boats. My previous boat, a 1977 Paceship PY23, never had anything but a porta potti, however, the porta potti sat on a raised shelf with clearance underneath to allow a real marine head to be mounted and easy access to the area under the V-berth for run hoses to a holding tank.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Old 01-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

In my experience, you really don't want a real porcelain marine toilet on a TS.. With the holding tank, etc. it adds far too much weight for a little yacht resulting in crappy (excuse the pun) sailing - but it's the extra load on the trailer winch when hauling out with a full tank that's the real killer.

OTOH, if you happened to own something like a Magnum 8.5...
Old 01-31-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Well, I have to confess that I'm surprised. I didn't realize there were so many trailerable sailboats that came standard with real heads in them. Though, I have to say that some of the boats suggested are only barely what I would call "trailerable."

One thing I would ask the OP is, why trailerable? If you intend to move it once or twice a season at most, then a large boat that just manages to be trailerable is fine. If you want to keep it at home, and trailer it back and forth to the water pretty much every time you use it then, I can tell you from experience, smaller is much, much better.

The bigger the boat, the more time and effort it is to hook it up, trailer it, rig it, launch it, retrieve it, de-rig it, trailer it back home, and put it away. It ends up not being worth it if you're only going to be sailing for a few hours. You find yourself using the boat less and less.

I made the mistake of moving from a small trailerable boat, to a somewhat larger one, to the largest one that I could manage. Found that I was using the big boat far less than I had used the smaller boats, and finally decided that I either needed to move back to a smaller trailerable boat, or bite the bullet and keep my larger boat at a dock where it was ready to go any time.

Bottom line: If you are going to have to rig and launch the boat every time you use it, smaller is better.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.
peoples1234 likes this.
Old 01-31-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

US 25 also had the option of a storage tank head... fully enclosed.
US Yacht 25 b photo - Jeff Gegner photos at pbase.com

Capri 26 does as well, but it's large for a trailerable.

denverd0n Is 100% correct, larger boats are a bear to rig/derig quickly. However, I find it's not really the length of the boat, as much as it is the depth of the keel! Once in the water, rigging a 25 footer, or a 20 footer is really very similar, and the same amount of work if you can find an easy way to raise the mast... I have raised the mast and lowered it myself with a proper A-Frame configuration... NO I would NOT want to do it for a day sail, but a long weekend? Sure! The real bear is getting the boat launched with a 4 foot keel. I am working on making that easier using a strap launch method, that seems to work well for others.

But hey, if an enclosed head gets you where you want, go for it.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 01-31-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
The real bear is getting the boat launched with a 4 foot keel.
Very close to the #1 reason I chose to go for an S2 7.9: 5 feet of draft with the keel down, 18 inches of draft with the keel up!
Old 01-31-2013

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Hmm not sure what you consider being a 'real' head. Here are several photo's of the head on my 22 footer. I consider it to be 'real' although headroom is lacking. Not much to be done about that on any of the smaller boats.

First pic the head in to port just aft of the v-berth behind the door. With the door open it provides privacy from the cockpit. In pic 2 you'll see that it is an MSD that is plumbed for both dockside pumpout and seaside pumpout.

c_witch

PS this is the smaller msd and the holding tank is only 2.6 gallons good for 3 days. I could however install a 10gallon holding tank under the cockpit behind my housebank if required.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend for trailer sailer with a real head?-launchready1.jpg   Recommend for trailer sailer with a real head?-newhead-msd.jpg