Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pearson 36

I see in his bio that Bill Shaw worked with S&S for a time... that sure shows with this boat. Paul that's a much prettier example than the listing in WA state. Very clean looking.

The only thing that gives pause is the statement in the listing 'sold as is where is'... standard CYA brokerspeak? or something more ominous?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
As for light air sailing, I would guess it is not very good. The older Pearsons tend to be good heavy air boats, and not so good in light air. Good luck!
I wouldn't assume that without sailing it. Its Sa/D is 17 and D/L is low 200's - very typical of IOR One Tonners. The One Tonners around here are still fast boats and our air is about as light as it gets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-31-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I see in his bio that Bill Shaw worked with S&S for a time... that sure shows with this boat. Paul that's a much prettier example than the listing in WA state. Very clean looking.

The only thing that gives pause is the statement in the listing 'sold as is where is'... standard CYA brokerspeak? or something more ominous?
Yea, it is being represented by a non traditional broker, really more of an internet marketing firm, and they post the listings on Craig's list and Sailboat listings. They put that language in all of there listings. I don't know how much of a cut they take because I don't think they have a physical office and don't seem to be traditional licensed brokers. I have called on a few other listings, and they had already sold. So they do seem to be moving some boats. But they have some that are very over priced. I know this one started off last fall at least 10,000 more than it is listed for now.
Old 01-31-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

MiataPaul,
Thanks for the additional info. The Anacortes boat had a little bit of the “ol war dog” look to it and I couldn’t quite see the attraction (other than all of those Swiftsure plaques!). Curious about that wheel helm location as both your target boat and the Anacortes one have it in the same location. But, note that the accompanying photo with the line drawing has it aft in the more traditional location. I know that the 70’s versions of the Catalina 30 came either tiller or wheel from the builder and many tiller boats were later retrofitted. Pearson could have been in the same boat.

When you look at the boat, do a bit of crawling (as I’m sure you will) in the aft end and really look at the steering cables and gear. There must be some cogent reason on why the wheel is where it is and I’m interested in learning your thoughts. The “war dog” had some interesting pictures and my, how far the building standards have come since then. Again, really look over the Stb lazarette as the “war dog” had some funkiness in both the electrical and plumbing systems. I would consider on reworking that hatch to make it really water tight as there is a lot of important stuff down there and it is also opened to the bottom of the boat.

As you know the three rules of older boat buying is “condition, condition, condition”. The interior and cockpit layout isn’t my particular cup of tea, but I’m not buying the boat. As the build standards were different back then, you might be spending some money modernizing a bit like replacing the fuse panel with circuit breakers or even moving the panel away from the companionway and galley. But again, we all have a mountain of personal upgrades we want to do on our own boats. Good luck on your quest and enjoy the process!
Old 02-01-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A friend had one of these for a number of years. Actually a pretty good sailing boat and really doesn't have the bad handling of many IOR race boats of that era. It is very similar in design to the smaller P30 and 10M Pearson built in the 70s, both known as pretty good sailing boats. The interior is not the most attractive, but very usable.
Old 02-01-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

Our past sailboat was a P35 which had the wheel towards the front of the cockpit. It did take up some of the space within the cockpit but it made it very easy to single hand; both mainsheet and geona sheet was within hand reach. I saw that someone moved the wheel back with some modifications but not sure if that makes any sense and if I was not happy with the wheel location, a tiller would be a better choice.

While looking for a different sailboat about two years ago, I ran across a few Pearson 36s. I like the 36 and especially the hint of the S&S. This sailboat looks very clean and for $24k, it appears to be a fair price based on it's age. The interior, like most older (70's) Pearsons, lack solid teak and trim.

We end up settling on a S2 36' but would have been happy with a clean early 80's Pearson 36, cutter or sloop.

Good luck.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 02-01-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

paul, I don't think Pearson ever was known as a light air boat, any of them. Well made, solidly made, but not so much "light air". On the Hudson, between ducking traffic, and the tidal flows, and all the twisty parts, I'm not sure that would matter since you may wind up lighting the engine more often than not.

I haven't sailed north of the TZB, but I've seen the river and the river traffic many times in many places. A real light air boat...something like a retired J/boat would fill that role better.

And for a liveaboard, the P36 might be too much cockpit, too little cabin for you. Or coming up from a smaller boat, that might not matter. Nice that they put the wheel up by the traveler to make shorthanding easier though.
Old 02-01-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
paul, I don't think Pearson ever was known as a light air boat, any of them. Well made, solidly made, but not so much "light air". On the Hudson, between ducking traffic, and the tidal flows, and all the twisty parts, I'm not sure that would matter since you may wind up lighting the engine more often than not.

I haven't sailed north of the TZB, but I've seen the river and the river traffic many times in many places. A real light air boat...something like a retired J/boat would fill that role better.

And for a liveaboard, the P36 might be too much cockpit, too little cabin for you. Or coming up from a smaller boat, that might not matter. Nice that they put the wheel up by the traveler to make shorthanding easier though.
Yea, I am willing to have cramped living quarters to have better sailing. I don't plan on being at the dock only, and I have pretty limited needs. I had been looking at 30-33 footers mostly. Just north of the Tappan Zee it gets really wide at the Haverstaraw bay (about 3.5 miles wide by 8 miles long) and then wider again up in the Newburgh just north of West Point, Newburgh is where I likely will be living during the summer. There is a lot of fun weekend cruising destinations between Kingston and NYC.

Not sure I would want to live on any J Boat I could afford! The more cruising versions are pretty nice (yet pricy) but the more racing oriented ones can be pretty bare bones. By the time they make it to my price range they are pretty beat up, at least the ones I have seen.
Old 02-01-2013
old geezer

mother goose is on a distinguished road

I had a Pearson 36 for 5 years. Raced and cruised it extensively. A wonderful boat. It had a custom tall rig due to light airs here in Puget sound. Was boat of the year in PHRF racing and carried an "X" rating due to the tall mast.We raced the boat on 15 Swiftsure races to the open ocean.

Two can handle it easily for cruising. With modern sails it could outpoint most boats of the era. Even today it can outperform its PHRF handicap with good sails. You should note it has a very thick lifting foil keel. No problem backing. Only slightly larger turning radius than a spade rudder boat.
Carried a spinnaker well but did broach a few times in 25-35 kts. I sold the boat some time ago. The current owner did needed work such as: rebonding all the bulkheads, new sails, roller furling, new Kubota 25 engine, new fuel tank, new through hull valves and hoses. He also rewired the AC and DC systems. All these things were needed due to the age and wear factors. The original gel coat (turquoise) has held up well.

Check that the boat has a really good anti siphon loop for the engine as it is below the water line. Get rid of any old umbrella style exhaust muffler(an engine killer).

The interior finish is really low maintenance....if you like. The formica material can be enhanced with an oil polish such as "Liquid Gold"

Best of luck
Old 02-06-2013

diz is on a distinguished road

I have one of these, hull 45.

Though it's not a light air machine, it's a good sailing boat in anything above 5 knots or so. Give it 10 or more, and it'll keep up with most any displacement boat with a similar waterline.

It handles well in a blow. The forward wheel is odd at first, but it works well there. I actually had to cut out the rotten core from the cockpit sole and have that built up again, so when I had a fresh cockpit sole with no holes, I experimented with moving the pedestal aft. But the boat is so narrow at the aft end of the cockpit that it doesn't really work there. And it's not bad where it is if you have an autopilot, or when you are sailing and sitting on the rail holding the wheel. When not sailing and hand steering, I use the autopilot exclusively, and tend to sit facing forward at the aft end of the cockpit to keep watch.

I've made and filled a lot of holes. The hull is certainly solid. The decks are cored w/ balsa, and carry the normal risks there. We repowered the boat, did a bunch of primary electrical work, replaced the plumbing, replaced some through-hulls, etc.

If you want pictures and some of the projects I've done to help you figure out what you might be getting into, that info is up on a little website. There's also an incomplete owners list there; maybe someone in your area owns one and would take you for a sail.

I can't post a link, but if you point your browser to

pearson36.net

You should find that site.

Anything I can do, let me know.