Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Pearson 36

I am considering looking at a Pearson 36. The boat is a 1975, but at least in the photos looks very clean, looks very original but well maintained. I know it is IOR influenced, but how do you think it would be in light air? I am planning on living aboard and sailing cruising coastal and Hudson River for now. I want something that will be comfortable and good in light air as the Hudson tends to have fluky winds. I want also to have a lot of confidence if I run into a storm.

Anything to look for on these? I understand the 365 would likely be more to my needs, but this particular boat keeps coming up on my searches. I understand Pearson has a good rep for build quality and making fairly quick boats, though I don't imagine I will be racing. Will be short handing a lot though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pearson 36

Never sailed one but I've always thought that was one of the best looking boats that Shaw drew for Pearson. That low cabin top looks very good and is so low you would virtually have a flush deck for all practical purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Like this one?

1975 Pearson 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A couple of things we didn't like about this vintage of Pearsons was the binnacle-fwd-against-the-bridgedeck setup, and the what looked like arborite bulkhead faux woodgrain finish.

She seems to have a fairly heavy IOR 'bustle' and a largish skeg - the latter will help tracking but slow tacking and perhaps adversely affect reversing under power. Cleaned up, though, like SJB said, pretty boat!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Like this one?

1975 Pearson 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A couple of things we didn't like about this vintage of Pearsons was the binnacle-fwd-against-the-bridgedeck setup, and the what looked like arborite bulkhead faux woodgrain finish.

She seems to have a fairly heavy IOR 'bustle' and a largish skeg - the latter will help tracking but slow tacking and perhaps adversely affect reversing under power. Cleaned up, though, like SJB said, pretty boat!
I agree the interior is very fake wood covered. I would prefer the real wood, but I don't think it is a deal killer if I like the boat otherwise. the binnacle location is not ideal either, but as I keep coming back to the ad. The boat is very beautiful, and if as good in person as in pictures (rare I know) it might not be a bad boat.
Old 01-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The binnacle forward is awkward for going below but would be wonderful for winter sailing behind a dodger.

The wood grain Arborite can be painted easily. I have sometimes wondered what it would look like if it was varnished by hand. The imperfect finish of varnish might well disguise the "perfection" of the surface that makes it look so fake. I find the flawless factory varnish on new boats is virtually indistinguishable from Arborite.

Guess I should get a piece and try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Definately worth looking at. Good luck

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-31-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

The 36 has a lot of similarities with my P-35. I actually like having the wheel at the front of the cockpit. It makes it easy to single hand as you have easy access to jib sheets and winches, and you can avoid a lot nasty spray and weather by ducking behind the dodger. One downside is that there is no seat at wheel. Many owners have built seats behind the wheel. I'm thinking about doing it but it's not high on my list of upgrades.

I'm not sure I would like having the traveler in front of the wheel. Mine is at the rear of the cockpit, but at least it frees up room at the back of the cockpit.

The PO of my boat painted all the formica faux wood white and replace all the cabinet doors and draw faces with varnished wood. He did a nice job with it.

As for light air sailing, I would guess it is not very good. The older Pearsons tend to be good heavy air boats, and not so good in light air.

Good luck!
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 01-31-2013

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

I tried varnishing all the fake wood laminate surfaces on my previous boat (Paceship PY23) after a (very) light hand sanding with very fine grit sandpaper. It improved the look/feel somewhat but still left a lot to be desired. I believe I used a satin varnish. Perhaps gloss would yield better results.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 01-31-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

MiataPaul,
The yachtworld boat has an owner installed wheel helm. As you do your research further, you will find that these were tiller boats when new. As this boat is in Washington and you are in New York, do you have a link to the photos of the boat that you’re interested in? Transport costs would add $15k to the $27k purchased price of the boat, making it a little “spendy”. From the “for what it’s worth department, that particular boat was a frequent participant in the Swiftsure Race.
Old 01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
MiataPaul,
The yachtworld boat has an owner installed wheel helm. As you do your research further, you will find that these were tiller boats when new. As this boat is in Washington and you are in New York, do you have a link to the photos of the boat that you’re interested in? Transport costs would add $15k to the $27k purchased price of the boat, making it a little “spendy”. From the “for what it’s worth department, that particular boat was a frequent participant in the Swiftsure Race.
1975 Pearson Pearson 36 sailboat for sale in New York

I would prefer a tiller, but this one is wheel. One of the things I like about it is the "newer" Yanmar.

The vintage picture on sailboatdata looks to have the wheel further back, but all the photos I have seen of the actual boats have them forward.

PEARSON 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I have not seen any photos of a tiller steered one, wonder how much work it would be to revert back?

Last edited by miatapaul; 01-31-2013 at 06:01 PM.