Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Galley down would be a deal killer for me. I also would need an owners version where on hull is dedicated to owner statesroom and head.

Yes but why ?

The SW1250 is available as galley up or down. It just so happens I like the down version as it opens up more space in the saloon. The Wombet is of the same opinion. We pretty much share the cooking duties, if anything I do more than her. Galley up or down port hull is owner dedicated.

Jorgen .... I'm sure that changing the athwartships double to fore/aft would not be a problem.

SMJ .... thanks for the feeback re your Seawind ..... how did you go with the weight/load v performance issue ? I have no doubt that Lagoons would be slow though I wonder if they would have a greater load capability before performance would drop off.

rgds

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-07-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Because when entertaining guest they are often in the cockpit. That way the cook can interact with everybody else and no need to pass things up via a companion way a'la monohull .
Old 02-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I already told you what I thought of CE ratings. However, you persisit. I took 15 minutes and Googled CE Class A catamarans. Here's what I found.

The following catamarans have EU CE Class A certification

PDQ 34
Tomcat 9.7
Antares 44
Neverlands 65
SUNREEF 62
Jeanneau Lagoon 380
Jeanneau Lagoon 440
Jeanneau Lagoon 500
Dean 380
Fusion 40
Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Fountaine-Pajot Bahia 46
FOUNTAINE PAJOT ORANA 44 (Probably all of them)
Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41 Maestro (Owner's Version)
Catana 47
Catana 521

This is not a complete list. At this point I stopped looking.....as ALL current catamaran designs sold in any EU country have to be CE Certified. From the looks of what I found, Class A is rather common.

I am confused with your list. Yes for a cat to be sold on the European market has to be certified and it will be A, B or C according with the stability and seaworthiness characteristics. Of course that Class A cats are more than common. Practically all cats bigger than 38ft (and some 36ft) are Certified as class A cats. Most brands start their range at 38/39ft to have all their boats certified as Class A cats.

What I said is that while a monohull can normally pass the Class A certification with 30/33ft, a cat only manages that with 36/38ft.

On your list only the PDQ 34, the Tomcat 9.7 and eventually the Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36 are relevant.

The only PDQ 34 that I know is a power cat, not a sail cat and is not certainly certified as a Class A boat.

PDQ 34 Power Catamaran

Regarding the other two please post the relevant information that leads you to say that they are EC certified as Class A boats.

I don't believe that is possible for the 32ft Tomcat 9.7 and regarding the 36ft Pajot, well it is possible but very difficult for a Cat of that size to be a Class A.

I searched and Pajot says clearly that its 41ft is a class A cat but regarding the 36ft they don't say in what Class the boat is classified. Maybe you have found what I was unable to find. Please post it, I am curious.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-07-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Because when entertaining guest they are often in the cockpit. That way the cook can interact with everybody else and no need to pass things up via a companion way a'la monohull .
To be honest I don't get that. Remember that I do more than half the cooking on the Womboat and I'll still lose the galley from the saloon and put up with the isolation. Reality is that in our case we only have guests on board in the warmer months if only because not too many people can be bothered going on a boat when it is cold. So, nine times out of ten at least we'll bbq so cook is already amongst the action.

If it is just the two of us on board then we'll often be cooking together or we'll do a set and forget meal such as a casserole or roast. Even in winter we'll still often use the bbq.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the Gemini also has the EU Ce class A certification
The Gemini are EC certified? They sell boats in Europe? That are news to me and you mean boat, the 34ft and the 35ft?

I have looked and I have not seen any mention to a certification on their technical characteristics. That would be quite an achievement and something to be proud of. When the boats are certified as class A it comes in the technical file:

http://www.catamarans-fountaine-pajo...eng_lip045.pdf

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/site_agen...re_09_2012.pdf

Specifications - Catana 42 - Catana - Catamarans

Why do you say the Gemini are Certified as Class A?

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-07-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Andrew,

I do slightly less than half the cooking since my wife is the more talented and experienced cook. We are the kind of people that very much enjoy to cook and entertain.nothin better then Cooking a standing rib roast or a leg of lamb when under way. We even cooked a smallish thanksgiving turkey on the boat.

Now, even if you BBQ , you will need to make a salad and pass stuff from galley to cockpit.

Someone need another drink or top up of ice - down the companion way you go! I lived and cruised my boat for 2 years. Up and down companionway gets old.

Now, all i need is a boat with a wine cellar
Old 02-07-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I see you located the catamaran CE class A documents and take it that you've withdrawn your comment?

Quote:
What I said is that while a monohull can normally pass the Class A certification with 30/33ft, a cat only manages that with 36/38ft.
The CE class A rating for the Tomcat 9.7 is here:
TomCat Boats Designer & Manufacturer of Exceptional Catamarans

Which of course means that a 32 foot catamaran is also CE class A certified. Apparently a cat can not only manage it, but manage it with less LOA than a monohull.

What was your point again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 02-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Nice boat and overall yes, she is a cruising cat but for the purpose of this thread not applicable for much the same reason as my dismissal of Paulo's nominated trimaran.

I'm not knocking you, Paulo or those boats but i'm thinking in terms of boats that fit the norm of a cruising cat.

cheers

Andrew B
That is absolutely NOT a cruising catamaran. Hobies fly hulls, not homes.

Cruising cat's are homes. Hulls stay firmly in the water.

Last edited by chucklesR; 02-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The Gemini are EC certified? They sell boats in Europe? That are news to me and you mean boat, the 34ft and the 35ft?

I have looked and I have not seen any mention to a certification on their technical characteristics. That would be quite an achievement and something to be proud of. When the boats are certified as class A it comes in the technical file:

http://www.catamarans-fountaine-pajo...eng_lip045.pdf

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/site_agen...re_09_2012.pdf

Specifications - Catana 42 - Catana - Catamarans

Why do you say the Gemini are Certified as Class A?

Regards

Paulo
Gemini's have for a long, long time been Class A certified. I've been to Portugal visiting Alex on Giulietta and seen them there.
4 that I know of of them have circumnavigated, many have done trans-oceanic voyages.
Like any guy will tell you, it's not about the length, it's how you use it.
Old 02-07-2013

smj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
SMJ .... thanks for the feeback re your Seawind ..... how did you go with the weight/load v performance issue ? I have no doubt that Lagoons would be slow though I wonder if they would have a greater load capability before performance would drop off.

rgds

Andrew B

No doubt the Lagoon has a better load carrying capacity so if you need ac, diesel generator, deep freeze, etc. the Lagoon would be a good choice. We tried to keep our Seawind as light as possible but still carried over 100 gallons of water 45 gallons of gas and enough goodies to make cruising for us fun. We would do 75-80% of windspeed on a good point of sail and even better in light winds. I guess we didnt have all the creature comforts of the Lagoon but then again we didnt have to deal with repairing all those creature comforts.

Last edited by Faster; 02-07-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fixed quote