Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013

White Beard is on a distinguished road
Smile Help choosing a deck-stepped Sailboat

Hello - I am looking for advice on a sailboat purchase, Great Lakes Region; details as follows:
- deck-stepped mast essential, please don't try to convince me that keel-stepped is the way to go :-)
- shoal draft essential, ideal = under 4.5'
- 25' - 35'; with 28' to 33' preferred
- wheel preferred over tiller
- reasonably quick 140 to 180 phrf preferred, but also seaworthy
- prefer lead keel, for this phrf range will likely need to be fin, but I am open to anything, bilge, full, long...
- any engine, except no saildrive - OK with Atomic 4s or diesels, or even an outboard in a well if properly constructed
The boat will be used primarily for daysailing so a good sized cockpit would be advantageous; but it also needs an interior that would be comfortable for short over night stays for my me & my wife. I would like a top quality designer/builder, and a boat without significant concerns such as pox, decks prone to soft spots... I do not want to fix a price, because I do not want to eliminate any suggestions, but I would expect to be able to purchase used for under $60,000 although I have considerable flexibility for the right boat.
I look forward to hearing your suggestions & my thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help choosing a deck-stepped Sailboat

Why not start your search on yachtworld and narrow down your list to give us something to respond to. Parameters are very broad. Not sure you will find a combinating meetng all your parameters without a priority.
Old 02-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I've found quite a few boats that meet your definition (except that I haven't researched the PHRF, might need to confirm here - http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...+Handicaps.pdf - but if the Allmand can hit 166 and average 188, most of the other boats should fit your requirements too). All are on the east coast, and all are $10,000 or less, and require only a little bit of work (at best). With your budget, you could easily have one transported, and have any changes you want made to it, with a lot of cushion. You can check out this thread:
"Value-priced" boats in the mid-Atlantic

Most of the boats that I've seen have had deck-stepped masts. All are in the 26-34 range (most are 28-30), and have wheel steering. I was looking for a cabin for a family of 4, so anything that would have worked for us should work for you.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

White beard,

Try to narrow down your range a little. In that price range and size you could go all the way from a Cal 25 to a Beneteau 351. You need to be a little more specific in what you are looking for.
Old 02-08-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

If I had to make one recommendation for your needs it would be the Nightwind 35, with a rating between 135 and 141. These fractionally rigged centerboarder have beautiful interior and sail very well.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 02-09-2013

White Beard is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your contributions. I will give a little more thought to my parameters and re-post. I have followed up on a few recommendations and several interesting boats have surfaced. WB
Old 02-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If I had to make one recommendation for your needs it would be the Nightwind 35, with a rating between 135 and 141. These fractionally rigged centerboarder have beautiful interior and sail very well.
Great looking boat... hadn't heard of that one before, Jeff.. only 14 built, apparently so might be a tough find. If only they'd put a little nicer effort into the top portion of the rudder...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-09-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Although there are not many of then in the US, the Jeanneau 34.2 fits your criteria. The accomodations exceed your needs -- three cabins -- and it's faster than 140. Narrow fin keel with a lead bulb. It's got an offbeat saloon layout which you may like or not.
Old 02-09-2013

swedeish cedar is on a distinguished road

There was one of these aroung Michigan/Huron but I can't find the ad. I have a CP 23 and this or the the earlier version CP 25 is my goal.
.boatus.com/boatreviews/sail/ComPac27.asp usual 3w infront, I can't post links
Old 02-09-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Great looking boat... hadn't heard of that one before, Jeff.. only 14 built, apparently so might be a tough find. If only they'd put a little nicer effort into the top portion of the rudder...

These have always struck me as being very charismatic for a shoal draft boat. I had seen a number of these when I lived in Florida and had even visited the factory at one point and seen them under construction. There was one in Sarasota that I occasionally saw out sailing and one here on the Bay that I would see from time to time. I have always been very impressed with these boats when I have seen them underway.

I have generally been a fan of Bruce Kirby's non-racing rule designs. I am surprised that there were only 14 built. My recollection my be mistaken but I seem to recall that they were built by two different yards and would have guessed that the 14 boats listed were only the ones built by Fort Meyer Yacht and Ship building.

To me, the strength of the Nightwind design is that these boats are a good example of the virtues of a design which was built without worrying about a racing rule. When I want to discuss the impact of racing rules on hull forms and rigs, I typically use two designers as examples, Bruce Kirby and Bruce Farr. Both designed boats that were designed to the IOR rule as well as designed totally independently of the IOR but at roughly same periods of time. In Kirby's case I look at his designs for the original Laser, Sonar, Kirby 25, Kirby 30 and the Nightwind and I see weel rounded boats which sail well on all points or sail and which are comparative easy boats to sail. The impact of the rule is pretty graphic when comparing the IOR Kirby 1/4 tonner to Kirby 25, or the IOR San Juan 30 to the Kirby 30.

Anyway, if I was looking for a shoal draft coastal cruiser, or even a boat to do the Bahamas and Carribean basin, the Nightwind would be high on my list.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies