SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Bill Healy wooden boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/96578-bill-healy-wooden-boat.html)

straupe 02-12-2013 11:26 AM

Bill Healy wooden boat

I was hoping that someone can help me with some info on boat designer Bill Healy. I am looking at this beautiful boat that is 3/4" x1 1/2" clear fir strip plank, then cold molded ¼ “ plywood & fiber glassed inside and out. And yes I know it is wood but I figured should be strong as any other material if there is no water intrusion.

CalebD 02-12-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Bill Healy wooden boat

That is a pretty big "if". Water, like gravity seems to be everywhere and always wins in the end!

That said, wooden boats are beautiful even if they are cold molded.
If you google the name: "Bill Healey" you will find that he and his brother started or bought the Viking Yachts company which made boats in your home state.

straupe 02-12-2013 01:53 PM

Bill Healy is not the same guy as Bill Healey from Viking, I think. This boat was built in Florida in 84-86.

deniseO30 02-12-2013 02:26 PM

check in over at the woodenboat forum. Lot's of knowledge over there . good luck!

Woodfinatic 01-02-2014 02:57 PM

I am wanting to build a wooden boat using the "little maid of kent" plans by atkins & co. I dont have any experience of building a boat and want to know if anyone else has looked at or knows about how its made or has a copy of plans to see what theplan consist of.

bobperry 01-02-2014 03:02 PM

Check the IDEAL Series of books put out by MOTOR BOATING and SAILING back in the 50's. They have full sets of plans for almost all of Atkins designs. I'm sure LITTLE MIAD is in there but I can;t tell you which issue. I used to haver a pile of those books but I leant them to a guy who dissapeared with them.

Woodfinatic 01-02-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 1265770)
Check the IDEAL Series of books put out by MOTOR BOATING and SAILING back in the 50's. They have full sets of plans for almost all of Atkins designs. I'm sure LITTLE MIAD is in there but I can;t tell you which issue. I used to haver a pile of those books but I leant them to a guy who dissapeared with them.

is one of them called[Thirty Easy To Build Sail Boats With Auxiliary Power, IDEAL SERIES, VOLUME 15 Hardcover]

deniseO30 01-02-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straupe (Post 989068)
I was hoping that someone can help me with some info on boat designer Bill Healy. I am looking at this beautiful boat that is 3/4" x1 1/2" clear fir strip plank, then cold molded ¼ “ plywood & fiber glassed inside and out. And yes I know it is wood but I figured should be strong as any other material if there is no water intrusion.

glassed cold molded hulls are close to equal with fiberglass.

jbogart 01-02-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodfinatic (Post 1265746)
I am wanting to build a wooden boat using the "little maid of kent" plans by atkins & co. I dont have any experience of building a boat and want to know if anyone else has looked at or knows about how its made or has a copy of plans to see what the plan consist of.

If you are looking for study plans they are available for $15 at Atkin & Co. - Little Maid of Kent. Construction plans are available at the same address.

You might check out Maid of Endor by John Alden in Forty Wooden Boats. It is only 20' 4" and as such will not be anywhere as difficult to build as Maid of Kent at 30ft.

If I can make a suggestion based upon experience.

I too like to work with wood. The first boat I built was a 16ft wood strip canoe. It gave me real satisfaction in lofting and building it myself. I enjoyed it enough I thought to try and build something a little larger. I settled on a 27ft Controversy that was designed by the Mount Desert Yacht Yard. I liked the lines, it had plenty of room, and used strip planking that I was already used to.

I then started figuring costs to build the thing. After I was done with a preliminary budget I started to wonder if I would like sailing anyway.

What I did was find a 24 ft good old boat that was forty years old at the time but in resonably good shape, sailable anyway. I spent $4000 on the boat, an outboard motor and a twin axle trailer with electric brakes that had been custom fitted for the boat. I figured the trailer was worth $2500, the outboard $700, which left me with an $800 fiberglass boat. Needless to say this was a far cry cheaper then building a boat from scratch.

I spent the next three years sailing the heck out it and along the way beating the heck out of it. I have spent the last three years gutting the interior, repairing holes in the fiberglass hull, redoing the plumbing and the electrical, painting the exterior, replacing the toerails etc. I still have the interior to put back including ripping out the vberth, installing a hanging locker, a new composting toilet, etc. The good news is after another $4000 or so I am ready to go sailing again.

Before you take on building from scratch a thirty foot boat, I would recommend you do the same sort of thing. Buy a good old boat, sail it a bit and see if you like sailing. If not get rid of the hole in the water before you start throwing money in it. But if you do like sailing, rebuild the boat. It will teach you many of the skills you will need to build a boat.

deniseO30 01-02-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbogart (Post 1266826)
If you are looking for study plans they are available for $15 at Atkin & Co. - Little Maid of Kent. Construction plans are available at the same address.

You might check out Maid of Endor by John Alden in Forty Wooden Boats. It is only 20' 4" and as such will not be anywhere as difficult to build as Maid of Kent at 30ft.

If I can make a suggestion based upon experience.

I too like to work with wood. The first boat I built was a 16ft wood strip canoe. It gave me real satisfaction in lofting and building it myself. I enjoyed it enough I thought to try and build something a little larger. I settled on a 27ft Controversy that was designed by the Mount Desert Yacht Yard. I liked the lines, it had plenty of room, and used strip planking that I was already used to.

I then started figuring costs to build the thing. After I was done with a preliminary budget I started to wonder if I would like sailing anyway.

What I did was find a 24 ft good old boat that was forty years old at the time but in resonably good shape, sailable anyway. I spent $4000 on the boat, an outboard motor and a twin axle trailer with electric brakes that had been custom fitted for the boat. I figured the trailer was worth $2500, the outboard $700, which left me with an $800 fiberglass boat. Needless to say this was a far cry cheaper then building a boat from scratch.

I spent the next three years sailing the heck out it and along the way beating the heck out of it. I have spent the last three years gutting the interior, repairing holes in the fiberglass hull, redoing the plumbing and the electrical, painting the exterior, replacing the toerails etc. I still have the interior to put back including ripping out the vberth, installing a hanging locker, a new composting toilet, etc. The good news is after another $4000 or so I am ready to go sailing again.

Before you take on building from scratch a thirty foot boat, I would recommend you do the same sort of thing. Buy a good old boat, sail it a bit and see if you like sailing. If not get rid of the hole in the water before you start throwing money in it. But if you do like sailing, rebuild the boat. It will teach you many of the skills you will need to build a boat.

OP actually started a thread on the Maid here http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introd...ml#post1266434